Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What percent of the time do you leave your TC on your truck?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What percent of the time do you leave your TC on your truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
MORSNOW

Eagle River, AK

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper loaded 100% of the time May-Sep, 0% Oct-Apr.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

TCBob

Junction City, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up until this year TC was loaded just during summer months ready to go. When the rains start in OR (approx Oct) - TC use to go in a barn. Barn entrance would not tall enough....so we built a trailer for the TC. I lost access to that barn this spring...so TC lives on Truck under a cover in a storage yard for now. I prefer to store the TC undercover when possible.

BTW - I love drive our DRW F350, however, when in most parking lots in Eugene - I need to put a tire on each parking lot strip to park. - classic liberal town!

2004 S&S 8.5 SC Ponderosa
1999 Ford F-350 4X4 7.3-PSD DRW

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last couple years I've done a fair amount of travel and work camping. I figure close to half the year it was on the truck

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the truck is only about 25% of the time. But if you want to say miles, over the last 5 years I have had the camper on the truck for 57% the 18k annual miles. Since July when my daughter gave me back the car I gave her 6 years ago, I've haven't been driving the truck as my daily driver so have been averaging about 98% of the miles with the camper on.

While I've only used 4wd with the camper on board a dozen times, I use it almost every time I go camping on a long trip. There is no way I could get the front of the truck up on my 10" block with only a 16" long board if I didn't have 4wd to let the front wheels pull themselves up. At some campsites I've had to stack lego blocks on top of the boards sitting on top of the 10" blocks for a total gain of 16" which would be impossible without 4lo. Without 4wd the boards/blocks would just be pushed out from under the tires.

When I bought my first truck 25 years ago, I knew the advantage of 4wd as I had grown up on a farm. However, I wasn't looking for a truck but came across when the suburban wouldn't tow my 7k trailer just happen to have 4wd. Convinced the wife it would do the job well and had the crew cab for the kids (not very common back in the early 90s). On our first long trip with the rig, we left about 5am in the pouring down rain so the kids would sleep, I missed the turn and found a nice paved parking lot to turn around in. Only problem was it was red clay and slick as get out. Almost made it in 2wd until the front dropped in a 6" ditch. Fortunately, 4wd allowed me to back out of the ditch, finish turning around and be on my way without even getting soaked by getting out. A few miles down the road after my nerves calmed down I looked at my wife and said the 4wd was already paid off to which she agreed. Since then, I've bought two new trucks. On the first one I was trying to get the price down so offered to drop the 4wd to which my wife responded that I shouldn't even worry about buying the truck if I don't get 4wd.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

bwc

Atlantic Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper has been on the truck 100% of the time going back to when the camper was bought in 2010. It has never been off. I have other vehicles to use and another truck. Everything I own is parked in a garage ready to go and out of the weather. I hated loading and unloading when I only had the one truck. Works for us.

2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

Tizi

Normandy Park, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is on around 60% of the time. It comes off when I need the truck to haul stuff. I take it off for like 3 months in the winter and cover it up.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our fine diesel truck 100% from May thru October. Then it's off the truck and the 5th wheel hitch is on for our 5th wheel for the months only of (during Nov - April). Best of both halves of the year! Spend 2-1/2 months (2nd week of Jan - late Mar) at our winter snowbirding CG about 100 miles south into Florida as is needed for my disalbed wife and also have family members down there in Florida we visit.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seeing how Red is my cage DD....only when we're going to use it.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Side question for those who use truck for camping only, how you deal with registration and insurance?
Even with my good records and liability only, keeping truck registered in Las Vegas cost about $1400 annually.
Good part, Clark County allows for plate surrender and they give me credit for unused fee. Still if I don't use credit in about 6 months, I am at lost, but at least insurance is not playing games with me.

Washington (Seattle). Truck is about $150 and camper about $35 a year.
The fees for different states seem all over the place.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brholt wrote:

Washington (Seattle). Truck is about $150 and camper about $35 a year.
The fees for different states seem all over the place.

Is it fixed over the age of truck?
In Las Vegas registration for 5+ years old vehicles is cheap, but for newer I pay $500+ car or truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What percent of the time do you leave your TC on your truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.