cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban Hot Water Heater Issue.

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
So my Suburban hot water heater has malfunctioned after 7 years of faithful service. It will ignite, but the flame is completely yellow and is producing lots of soot. There is no blue flame like it usually has. I have taken the tube off that comes from the regulator/control thing and checked for the spider web obstruction that many have had and it is clean. It acts as if there is not enough gas pressure to burn correctly. My furnace and stove are working fine so I donโ€™t think it is the main LPG regulator. I am very handy and do almost all my RV repairs. Any thoughts on what might be the main culprit. I should be able to fix this myself, but the DW is concerned because it is propane related. They don't seem very complicated.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.
10 REPLIES 10

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ah shucks! Scrub ALL the advice above! Tell the wife it's now "toast" and you need to just get a new camper! :B If she believes it ... well ... think of the possibilities! ๐Ÿ˜‰

No clue how to help you here, except to clean as folks indicated above.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Sooting will cause combustion chamber to get dirty
Mud dabbers/nests etc will cause flame to blowback out of combustion chamber
Yellow sooting flame is due to RICH Fuel/LEAN Air condition....dirty orifice/burner tube
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Take the covers and burner tube off to expose both ends of the large (about 2 inch) tube that carries the flame through the water heater. It's just a big "U" tube that runs through the water and carries the products of combustion back out. It needs cleaning once it a while. The best way I know to do that is to run a rope through it so you can grab both ends. Take a shop towel type rag and tie it in the middle of the rope. Then drag it back and forth through the tube several times making sure it swabs the entire length of the tube. Then put it all back together and your nice blue flame should return. Wasps like to build nests in that tube and block the proper flow of gases. ANYTIME your water heater leaves a black streak up the side of your water heater, this is the thing to do to fix it.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Change the regulator

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
ORIFICE.......
It is dirty
Soak it in alcohol then air dry (no poking/no high pressure air)

Clean the burner tube using a small bottle brush

Propane flow/pressure pulls air in thru opening in burner tube right after orifice
Air mxiture is determined by propane flow

Propane flow....critical to proper air/fuel ratio for clean combustion BLUE Flame
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™d make sure there is no blockage in the intake tube, burner tube. Thereโ€™s not really a lot of adjustments on a Surburban like there is on an Atwood.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I still go with a spider web. You need to pull the tube off so you can find the orifice. Do not poke anything through the hole in the orifice, but do firmly wipe it off with something. Then clean off everything downstream of the orifice. Find a way to push and pull a rag through all the chambers for the flame. After that put it back together and I'll bet it fires.

I've also read on here about some kind of oil that can pool in propane lines and cause problems. If cleaning doesn't help I would probably turn off the propane bottles and disconnect the propane line. Then open a bottle slowly to see if you have good gas flow.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Did you actually run a brush through the burner tube? It doesnโ€™t take much at all to disrupt the gas flow.
-- Chris Bryant

Old_timer_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I would be checking the air intake to make sure that nothing is blocking it. the yellow flame suggests to me that its low on oxygen. Just an idea.
dfhslm@telus.net
Dodge user

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
It's one of two possible issues. You either have components that have gone bad or it's an adjustment that needs to be made. Here is a link to a video that shows how to adjust the air intake when you get too much yellow flame. Adjustment Video
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.