Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ready to Live on the Road and Excited
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ready to Live on the Road and Excited

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Donna Jean

waterford

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KPetrick wrote:

Where your vehicle is registered is also going to impact the insurance on your RV. If you sell you home in MI you are going to need full timers insurance. This provides you the liability coverage you need that you once had through your homeowners coverage. Give us a call at Good Sam Insurance Agency and we can walk you through what you will need and give you some ideas on what states are less expensive. No obligation.

good point, I never realized there would be a difference between full time and part time insurance, we are a ways off but feel free to message me your contact info if you are an agent. LOL only half a day on this site and i have already learned a bunch.[emoticon]

counting the days until Class A retirement

KPetrick

Englewood

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am the Director of Good Sam Insurance Agency. You can Google us and our website gives you all kinds of information about RV specific insurance. When you are ready you can call the 800#. You can't put an RV like what you are getting on an auto policy and get the coverage's you need like personal property and full time liability coverage. Take the time to read and educate yourself about the differences. Keith

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I recommend you rent a 40 foot class A and go on a two week trip before you purchase one.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without putting a damper on your plans, it seems like you're making a big lifestyle shift- without explaining why. That's your business and right, of course, but it raises an eyebrow for me- like Pianotuna.
I suggest smaller steps to downsize and sell between now and then. Do you need the Jeep right away or could you visit dear off-road areas the first year and be fine with the Camaro, for example. I think it's be a blast. Ditto for leaving MI- maybe buy a 2 bdr and use 1 for storage, and then you have a domicile and a home base to park toys that didn't fetch a good price. You can sell the smaller house in a couple years- or use it instead of TN, going south in winter with the RV.
There are so many ways to slice it, and plenty of people I've talked to only see 1 option, and then have hindsight.

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs.
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typo: Visit *non* off-road areas

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good input above as it can be difficult to buy the "right" rig w/o any experience.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

Typo: Visit *non* off-road areas
FYI You can just click on Edit for that post and modify that post.

If I make a significant change to a post I'll add Updated: text...

Also when a new thread is started the OP can click on the first post and edit the title.

Donna Jean

waterford

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

Without putting a damper on your plans, it seems like you're making a big lifestyle shift- without explaining why. That's your business and right, of course, but it raises an eyebrow for me- like Pianotuna.
I suggest smaller steps to downsize and sell between now and then. Do you need the Jeep right away or could you visit dear off-road areas the first year and be fine with the Camaro, for example. I think it's be a blast. Ditto for leaving MI- maybe buy a 2 bdr and use 1 for storage, and then you have a domicile and a home base to park toys that didn't fetch a good price. You can sell the smaller house in a couple years- or use it instead of TN, going south in winter with the RV.
There are so many ways to slice it, and plenty of people I've talked to only see 1 option, and then have hindsight.

I understand your thinking and thanks for the suggestions, friends have told us the same thing, but we are set on it. We are so ready for this change, for the last twenty years my husband and I have worked (ourselves/not hired) to the bone on a house we built on a lake, building decks, installing wood floors, insulation, seawalls, gardens,crown molding, paver brick patios, installing underground sprinklers, recently repainting the whole interior, plus finishing a 1500 sq ft basement with full bathroom by himself, the list goes on and on and never ends, now we have to deal with the clean up of 20 tall oak trees, it consumes most of the week end until into December, during this time he also built 4 large 800 HP engines for our offshore boats. Up until a few years ago he worked 58 hrs a week for 30 years at GM, thankfully he retired from there a few years ago and took another full time job, thankfully it is only 40 hours which LOL almost feels part time to him. We have a lot of equity in our house and he will fully retire when he turns 63 in May. It's hard to explain but we want a break from everything to do with owing a home. Even if we rent or buy a small one, which we thought a little bit about we would still have responsibilities, things like mortgage, utilities, outside maintenance, getting broken into etc. We are craving the freedom from home ownership and the ability to go where we want, and spend time together. Those that know Ian feel he will not have trouble with the RV because he is use to driving a big diesel truck pulling a 43"boat and we love staying in marinas, I assume campgrounds will be similar. We snow ski and have been out west probably more than a 100 times but not once in the summer so we cannot wait to do that and not be thinking about a little house somewhere. We both agree that the worse that could happen is we not like it, and then just come off the road sooner than later and either sell the RV or use it for vacations. The camaro will definitely be sold, it's a convertible and when Ian bought it in 2017 he planned to own if just for about 3 years anyway. LOL my husband is a motorhead, with tons of construction abilities so i think we will be good. Me I just can't wait to travel, meet new people, hike, bike, spend time with my little pup, and curl up with a good book at night, LOL i might even pick up trying to learn to knit again.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Bob Wells YouTube channel cheaperRVliving. He has 4 videos for full-timers and nomads concerning State residency and using mail forwarding services.

Donna Jean

waterford

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

Check out Bob Wells YouTube channel cheaperRVliving. He has 4 videos for full-timers and nomads concerning State residency and using mail forwarding services.

thank you i will

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ready to Live on the Road and Excited
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.