Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ready to Live on the Road and Excited
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ready to Live on the Road and Excited

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Donna Jean

waterford

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

our health plan is with Blue Cross which most doctors take, so that's a good thing

* This post was edited 10/31/19 02:49pm by Donna Jean *

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6 mos or a year… Who will even know you are gone? When would they start counting days? You go drive around and camp, this does not mean you renounce your MI citizenship.

There are those extreme in govt that want to follow your every move, and Im sure they are able, but there is no mechanism (legality) to follow you and adjust your status based on tracking your movements.

It is not against the law to be homeless, nor to take a long vacation.
Do not consider yourself a full-timer for just a 6 month trip. You are just enjoying retirement. Unless you need to be at hospitals on a weekly basis, then why would your health provider need to know you are taking a vacation? This is not illegal. If you do have a need during the trip, then do what millions of Americans do when they are traveling and have a medical need. Go get help… If you have a more urgent critical medical condition, then that is a good reason to settle back into one location (MI or TN) so you have a regular doctor for the weekly visits.

Full-timers live in their RV, they do this for years or decades. By your post, you will not be a full-timer and will not encounter the hardships they may or may not encounter.

Go enjoy your trip.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well DonnaJean, all I can say is plenty of people envy your plan I'm sure, and it sounds exciting and well thought out.
Personally, if I was doing the same (plan to, to some extent), I'd be looking at the same. Used diesel Pusher mohos.
Sooo many of them out there that have depreciated 50% or more and are only 10% used up. Pretty good bang for the buck if you're traveling alot and want a big moho. More versatile than a large gasser for ease of towing (which is also a possibility given what you've said).
Downside for some is parts and service is big rig type costs, but even more of an advantage for you guys as it sounds like repairing and maintaining "only" 1 little home on wheels will be a walk in the park for him.
Best of luck going forward!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Donna Jean,

Another important aspect is to have an exit plan. I was full time for 5 years and miss it--but it was time to move forward. I'll still keep my RV (I love it), but it is back to being part time.

I'm fortunate to be able to snow bird for 4 months of the year--and that's when the RV will get the majority of use.

I'm glad to hear you will be able to drive the RV! That's a luxury I have never had. It would make life easier--if I could get a 30 minute break while someone else trundled down the road.

I hope you and your spouse will have a wonderful adventure.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't already have it,get the Senior Pass. It gets you free access to every National Park and historic site.It also gets you half off camping fees at any Federal Campground including National Parks, Army Corps of Engineer ( COE),Forest Service and BLM.

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may have been mentioned but you should really rethink the 40' RV. Its just to long to fit in most National and State Parks, it costs a fortune to fill the gas tank and you would be better served with a 30'er.

Our Road Less Traveled

Donna Jean

waterford

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

would love to get a bus in the 30's' range but so far none seem to have enough room, a bath and a half and a king bed are musts. I know that might seem extravagant to some but we know our habits and what will work for us and LOL most importantly keep us out of divorce court! If we can'tcamp inside the national park, which i don't think we will be able to, we will camp near and use our jeep to tour with. Funny that someone would mention the senior pass, we were at a party last night and one of our friends told me the same thing, so we will definitely be buying one. Thanks again for all the advice and words of encouragement

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out used Super C in the 40' - 45' range.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Donna Jean wrote:

Cloud Dancer wrote:

It IS exciting alright. We lasted 3-1/2 years, in a 40 ft Dutch Star with 2 slides.

Wow so for 3.5 years you only lived in an Motor Home, couple of questions, had you been RVing part time for a while first? Did you have any type of home or apartment for the 3.5 years you were on the road? and LOL i guess your marriage survived it. [emoticon]

Yeah, lived in the motorhome. But, we suffered very little stress because we had the savings to buy or build a house, AND keep the motorhome. We're the type who always lived in a big house, and had an RV, a bassboat, and a single-engined airplane. It's like we were born to have an exciting life. But, we've started getting old, and THAT part of it is no fun. But, we keep trying.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't understand the need for a bath and 1/2. I'm assuming that means two thrones?

My floor plan has an almost full size shower, and a separate water closet all packed into a 28'5" class C.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ready to Live on the Road and Excited
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS