Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: FCA To Merge With PSA
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> FCA To Merge With PSA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a fact from Lee Iacoca's auto biography from 1983. When Chrysler was on life support in 1979 and the quest for Federal loan guarantees was uncertain, Iacoca began exploring merger possibilities for Chrysler. The possibilities? Honda and wait for it, FORD! Henry Ford II blew that out of the water and Honda didn't pan out. You see it how you see it, but the late Sergio Marchionne began looking for a buyer or merger partner before his passing. Reality is save for some time in the 80's and early 90's, Chrysler has been on varying degrees of life support.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

thomasmnile wrote:

Quite aware of what a merger is, thank you. I also know that every time Chrysler was acquired/merged by Daimler, Cerberus, Fiat, the man in the moon, it was because Chrysler's continued existence depended on it. Is this even a merger of 'equals'? Equally distressed or flush with cash?

There is never a merger of equals. The one that holds the most cash holds all the cards on the table.

Actually if you look at the data and numbers, a PSA and FCA merger would be a merger of equals. Each side would own half the shares. They will also have an equal split of board representations similar to the the Fiat/Chrysler merger did.

PSA And Fiat Chrysler Unveil Merger Of Equals

Again in reality there never is equals... It may be reported that how it's going to be structured but it won't last.

Here's a copy/paste: The companies would combine under a Dutch parent company, with a board of 11 members, five nominated by FCA and five by PSA. Carlos Tavares, CEO of PSA Groupe, would be CEO of the new company; FCA Chairman John Elkann would retain his role.

I suspect the CEO will fill the 11th spot or someone at the parent company, and if this report is correct with Carlos Tavares being the new company CEO it looks like PSA will eventually dominate the company.

11 Board Members is not Equal Representation

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

La Conner, a town 70 miles North of Seattle had a LeCar police car in it's day, which allowed crooks to get away on foot or in an auto.

LeCar was a Renault.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

FCA is in huge trouble. This is not a merger of equals.

You are right,Carlos Tavares the CEO of this merged entity is extremely good. He turned around GM's " basket case" Opel within a year( says a lot about GM management)
It will be the 4th largest Global vehicie maker in front of Ford and GM.
VW, Toyota, Renault/ Nissan/ Alliance then PSA/ FCA

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know much about PSA, but I do know that FCA is way behind in product development of BEV and hybrids. They have been milking the high horsepower revenue without much new development. Jeep is a valuable commodity. Trucks are doing well. Cars not so much.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Me Again wrote:

La Conner, a town 70 miles North of Seattle had a LeCar police car in it's day, which allowed crooks to get away on foot or in an auto.
I remember them, they had only 3 lug nuts holding the wheel on. The person that owned it called it Lecrap. Where I worked another person owned a Peugeot that everyone called a Push-it because of it's reluctance to start.

I had a Peugeot 504 wagon. Under powered but solid and very comfortable. Never had a problem starting it.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

I don't have a clue Shiner, I don't work for either company. From reading, I do know that since Lee Iacoca Chrysler was on the block for some arrangement to assure their survival. This merger is no different and it's not just about entree' into new markets. Matter of fact, I also saw a story earlier this year in the Free Press that FCA was considering ending the Chrysler product line entirely.

So no, all these machinations don't sound like FCA is dealing from a position of strength. My opinion.....and I'm entitled to it.

Your right it is a survival strategy in a rapidly changing world. Sergio was desperate to merge with another partner to allow FCA to survive and grow

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Me Again wrote:

I remember them, they had only 3 lug nuts holding the wheel on. The person that owned it called it Lecrap. Where I worked another person owned a Peugeot that everyone called a Push-it because of it's reluctance to start.

I had a Peugeot 504 wagon. Under powered but solid and very comfortable. Never had a problem starting it.

Most US people can only remember the distant past with Pug and Citroen, times have rapidly changed

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

I don't know much about PSA, but I do know that FCA is way behind in product development of BEV and hybrids. They have been milking the high horsepower revenue without much new development. Jeep is a valuable commodity. Trucks are doing well. Cars not so much.

That is one reason they want this " marriage" PSA is much more advanced in BEV tech and oddly diesel technology

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not the only European incursion into the North American Automotive Scene recently
Navistar showed Scania Light Quarry Trucks to be used in the Canadian Mining Industry
Navistar is relying a fair bit on Scania expertise.
Just to remind you Scania and MAN do have an agenda to buy Navistar outright when Global conditions improve.
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> FCA To Merge With PSA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.