cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Ram 3500 manual ?

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering if it's possible to tow a large pickup, Dodge 3500, with a pop-up truck camper mounted, 4-down, behind a motorhome, or a bobtail tractor? Would modifications be necessary for the pickup, such as a drive shaft disconnect? Would the ignition have to be on to release the wheel. Anyone out there actually doing this?
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs
12 REPLIES 12

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds awfully heavy for a driveaway toad. I'm not normally a member of the dinghy brake police, but a 11-12K unbraked load behind a bobtail semi is not something I'd want to try and stop in the wet. Also, having been around fire trucks most of my adult life, I can't think of a way to add a temporary hitch to one that would handle that kind of weight.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Bedlam
The truck plus camper will probably be 12k lbs. Unless you have diesel pusher or Super C set up for towing these types of loads, you will most likely be stressing the motorhome too much.

I have Class 5 truck with truck camper to tow a heavy trailer, otherwise I would need a toterhome.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
First, visit a scale and weigh the 3500 in the configuration you will be towing it. Then, see what the towing capacity of the vehicle you plan to use to tow it is. If that matches, then find a towbar of the necessary capacity. Based on the known weight of my 2500 (about 7900 lbs.), you will quite likely need a towbar with 10,000 pound capacity. Before you buy the towbar, shop around for a driveshaft disconnect for your truck. If such a disconnect is not available, it is possible to get under there, remove the driveshaft from the differential yoke, wrap the U-joint with tape to hold the bearing caps in place, and tie the shaft firmly out of the way. I did that years ago, when towing a Datsun pickup. It took about five minutes to remove the shaft before towing and replacing the shaft when ready to drive the truck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Romore is correct.
A little research shows that the NV5600 is not towable unless you have 4WD and can put xfer case in Neutral.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
That may cook the transmission as only the output shaft is turning. Best to check the owners manual or install a driveshaft disconnect.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Deleted.

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody heard about anybody doing anything like that?
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, It's 2wd, no transfer case, 6spd manual. I'll have to weigh it at a Cat scale for the combined weight, truch + pop-up truck camper mounted. I'm considering using it as a go between vehicle for drive away jobs, relocating bobtails, box trucks, vac trucks, fire trucks, crane trucks, tow trucks, motorhomes, etc. Would have to utilize a clamp-on/bolt-on reciever on the tow vehicle.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The truck in your signature will tow 4 down just fine (XFER case in Neutral) but it's heavy and will far exceed the tow rating of many MH's.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
You need to look at the owners manual to be certain. If you don't have one, you can download one from Dodge. Also -- look at the Dinghy Towing guide on this site....for the year of your truck. I think they go back to what, 2000 or 1999? That is the best way to be sure.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know about the older Dodges but the current generation Rams can be flat towed. Leave trans in park and push a dash button to put transfer case in neutral. Obviously youโ€™ll need a tow bar, brake system and lights, and a moho big enough to handle the weight.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine