Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Overloaded wheel Breakage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Overloaded wheel Breakage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OUCH!

This was very interesting, now I am glad we got rid of our stock wheels.

In our case the 3500 Dodge SRW came with tires rated at about 3000 pounds each, I tried to find out what the wheel rating was, there was no stamp inside the rim, even asked the truck manufacturer, they did not provide the wheel rating either, so went with Rickson 19.5 inch, 5000 pound per wheel.

Why are they reducing the weight carrying ability of these trucks with the
low rated factory tires and wheels?

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those were aftermarket XD brand wheels. They are usually bought to “dress up” a truck but will de rate most capabilities. Ok on a half ton truck but definitely not meant for HD duty. Stock oem rims will be rated for the truck’s max ratings.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what year your truck is, but the newest ones have something like a 12,000 lb. GVWR with rear GAWRs in the ~7,000 lb. range. They certainly are not equipped with wheels that are rated for only 3,000 pounds. Even my 15 year old Ram 3500 has a rear GAWR high enough that wheels that light would be a no-go.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

I'm not sure what year your truck is, but the newest ones .....are not equipped with wheels that are rated for only 3,000 pounds.....

Did you notice that the OP bought some stylish after market wheels which may have looked good but were not rated for hauling?

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, those were not stock wheels and the ones you bought aren't nearly as good (rated) as the stock parts either. Stock wheels are forged Alcoa..

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lets not criticize the OP for their taste in wheels....I like 'em actually, but this is a 2 fold lesson.
1. It appears they didn't get the wheels they thought they bought.
2. Through some research as well as knowing a bit about metallurgy and engineering, many of the more "intricate" aftermarket wheels can't possibly take the abuse or have a huge factor of safety just by the size and design of the "spokes."

This is always a hottopic with truck campers and my personal theory (no way to back it up other than years of experience and/or dumb luck) is that OE wheels are designed with a SIGNIFICANT factor of safety. Simply from a liability mitigation perspective. OE's can't control what the consumer does with their product, but they can guarantee they will be held feet to the fire on liability (Ford Explorers...cough cough) and they absolutely do not want the bad press.
I'm a guy that "overloads" my wheels and tires sometimes and I would not feel comfortable doing it with smaller company, marginal rating wheels, however am comfortable with it in general on OE wheels.
Right wrong or indifferent.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First and foremost, the member that posted this link is not the one that bought wheels in that link. That link is a website run by MelloMike.

Bob

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For some vehicles, its important to get hub centric wheels. I don't know if that was an issue here.

bradw

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

EricCO

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! Good driving by the pilot!

I had Mickey Thompson Classic II's rated for 3,500 lbs each. They routinely cracked and would cause a slow leak.

2002 Ford F-350 CC LB PSD
2007 Travel Lite 960rx Ultra
2009 Lund 208 Pro-V GL with 250 hp Verado

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an oem rear steel duel break around the bolts like that . Truck was not overloaded . Sometimes stuff just happens , possibly an original defect that took time to show up . Usually you can assume an oem steel wheel is rated at least as much as an original tire the manufacturer puts on it . Finding the actual rating of an oem wheel is near impossible .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Overloaded wheel Breakage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.