Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: A Very Quiet Halloween
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A Very Quiet Halloween

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is so strange. We just walked the dogs and not a sole in sight. Our town postponed trick-or-treating until Saturday night due to weather concerns. It's warm, breezy and just a bit showery so there was really no need to postpone but numerous towns did as the weather people weren't quite sure when the heavy rain and winds would hit. It's just scary quiet. That will probably change as the guys have just started carving the pumpkins. If I don't have to get any band-aids it will be a good night! [emoticon]

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During last nights weather, the lady scored today for a 1 out of 5.
I think she was being optimistic. It is 38° an raining. Even the dogs don't want to go out, but pressures will build and they will have to before bed time.

We have no local kids to come by, and the Truck or Treats are due for tomorrow evening at a lot in our town. Neither of us are interested.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

J herb

So. Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's 8:45 pm here in Oregon and seen 5 or 6 trick-or-treating and so far only one has come to our house.

J herb

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a decent number of kids come by braving the temperatures in the mid to low 30s. After starting October with record highs, we ended it with the lowest high temp ever recorded for this day. Many of the kids had their overcoats on over their costumes. Overall, the numbers were way down this year.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were in our first home a mile down the road, even though an isolated small community we had quite a few Trick or Treaters. Everyone knew each other and all the kids knew each other at school and some lived close to a few others. When we got the bridge, we had quite a few, for the first years. Then there were a number of accounts of treats with pins, glass razors across the Country. Though there were no one in our area the media scared everyone. The the schools jumped on the scare thing and scared the kids and parents, though no incidents in our community or small town. Then the Governments, Police and so got in on the scare thing, and started having kids come to fire halls etc instead of making the rounds,and even Halloween parties there. Then they started shifting the date the kids went out to Saturdays and such and telling Parents and kids to be off the streets by dark in places and a little later in some others. Churches during the same time started having all the kids that attended and any others that wanted to have party there instead of Trick or Treating.
Which is irony as I can see All Hallowed Saints eve being celebrated but not the pagan even satanic connotations of the Halloween. As a child I never did the Trick or Treating thing. My convictions on it were that firm ..But back to the subject We have scared our children and parents out of the Halloween tradition,because of what happens in centers of cultures of crime, does not stay there. The Media to stir up emotions and politics for ratings, make it seem as it is just down the block or around the corner and it is not. I no longer watch what has become the politicised and ratings driven drama "News".
But what has happened to make the short of it is that the media and nannie state has scared our kiss and parents to death to the point they aren't allowed to walk to school or by bicycle and lord forbid Trick or Treat.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 03:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

around 40 and dropping with heavy rain here. Still took the kids (though not long) they had fun and it was worth it. had 15-20 kids. 1 little girl came about 8. only one on the street by that time. happoy and polite but soaked. I gave her a giant handful of candy.

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding the way kids grow up today, compared to how we grew up,.....I just don't have the patience to write the book on what I have seen, and experienced. As an elderly senior citizen, having experienced at least 2 careers, I've seen a whole lot. I have "based" in several parts of the USA. I'm still observing, and learning, happy and sad.
My wife and her friend tried to give away Halloween candy, but there were few takers. My wife struggled to hold back the tears.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

This is so strange. We just walked the dogs and not a sole in sight.
That's because you were walking on them. no wonder you couldn't see them! [emoticon]

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We turned out the lights - our neighborhood doesn't have any kids, is comprised of many (empty) cottages; and my worst fear, given that we were experiencing almost-blizzard conditions was that I would be stuck with a big bag of candy :-(

I think a lot more families are opting for the fun of community events (my son's Fire Department hosted a "Truck or Treat" on Saturday at the firehouse)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's because you were walking on them. no wonder you couldn't see them!

So true!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A Very Quiet Halloween
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.