cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does anyone use Google FI for their cellular service?

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Supposedly, Google, who has service contracts with Sprint, ATT and Verizon, will switch your call to whichever carrier you have the strongest connection to at the time your call is placed. We currently have Verizon which works fine while on the road, but at home they have terrible service. Does anyone have experience with using Google FI?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
14 REPLIES 14

CBDunkerson
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Supposedly, Google, who has service contracts with Sprint, ATT and Verizon, will switch your call to whichever carrier you have the strongest connection to at the time your call is placed.

Does anyone have experience with using Google FI?

I have Visible (which uses the Verizon network) as my main internet hotspot because it is cheap and truly unlimited. Google Fi is on my primary smartphone and serves as a backup hotspot because it connects calls and data through Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, and various wifi networks. Between the two of them that covers all of the top five US cellular networks except AT&T.

I'd say I use Visible more than 95% of the time. Every once in a while I'll have poor or no signal on Visible and be able to use Google Fi instead. More often, if one isn't working then neither does.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Google FI site is a bit confusing and possibly misleading. Under the $70/month plan it says unlimited data but....
"Unlimited data High-speed data up to 22 GB/person & slower after. Video may stream at DVD-quality (480p)."
The $20/month plan (+$10/GB max $60 more) does not say anything about speeds or limits.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MrWizard
$20 + $10*6 = $80

No that's not cheap, when you are streaming video data
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
HackerAce wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Google Fi is just too expensive to use if you plan to use it for much more than the most casual surfing.

$20 per month with $10 per gig up 6 Gig with a burst over to 15 gigs.

Minimum of $30 per month, that's expensive?

I generally use 60-100GB/month. Yes, that's expensive! If you plan to use WiFi as your primary TV source, Yes, that's going to be expensive.

Data is free after 6 gig. This is right off the Google Fi website. I do not know if they throttle data.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
HackerAce wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Google Fi is just too expensive to use if you plan to use it for much more than the most casual surfing.

I generally use 60-100GB/month. Yes, that's expensive! If you plan to use WiFi as your primary TV source, Yes, that's going to be expensive.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
HackerAce,

What is a burst over?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a light data user, you should check into Ting. No contract. $6/mo/phone base charge. Only pay for what you use.

With 3 phones, my bill is typically under $60/month.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer
I been of Google FI for over a year now. Their is a $10 per gig data charge for up to 15Gig a month.

Even maxing out the data my bill is $80 per month compared to the $120 per month I was paying on Sprint.

I have had no issues with the service. In fact when I went to Bulgaria recently after turning on my phone it said, "Welcome to Bulgaria, please wait a moment while we figure things out". In less than five minutes my phone was working in Bulgaria with my normal phone number. Pretty nice if you ask me.
John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The issue with Google Fi is data. IIRC they charge $10 per gig.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:
Supposedly, Google, who has service contracts with Sprint, ATT and Verizon, will switch your call to whichever carrier you have the strongest connection to at the time your call is placed. We currently have Verizon which works fine while on the road, but at home they have terrible service. Does anyone have experience with using Google FI?

Bill

My DWs phone is on Google FI. I wanted to test it out and she agreed. Mine is on Verizon, and she loses service a couple miles before me, and gets it back a couple miles after me in fringe areas. There hasn't ever been a time we were somewhere other than driving when I had service and she hasn't. She has been on it for about a year now.

I don't believe that FI uses Verizon or AT&T though. I know it uses T mobile, Sprint and US Cellular, as well as available dependable wifi.

We both have the same phones, Pixel 2s, and every time I ask her if she wants to switch, she says not yet... She can use her phone as a hot spot, we just have to pay for the actual data used.

One spot where we boondock/fish quite often, our Weboost helps her out quite a bit.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. I can't say I've ever been anywhere where I didn't have Verizon service.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at it but found out the service doesn't visual voice mail
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It