Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Does anyone use Google FI for their cellular service?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Does anyone use Google FI for their cellular service?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HackerAce wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Google Fi is just too expensive to use if you plan to use it for much more than the most casual surfing.

$20 per month with $10 per gig up 6 Gig with a burst over to 15 gigs.

Minimum of $30 per month, that's expensive?

I generally use 60-100GB/month. Yes, that's expensive! If you plan to use WiFi as your primary TV source, Yes, that's going to be expensive.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

HackerAce wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Google Fi is just too expensive to use if you plan to use it for much more than the most casual surfing.

$20 per month with $10 per gig up 6 Gig with a burst over to 15 gigs.

Minimum of $30 per month, that's expensive?

I generally use 60-100GB/month. Yes, that's expensive! If you plan to use WiFi as your primary TV source, Yes, that's going to be expensive.

Data is free after 6 gig. This is right off the Google Fi website. I do not know if they throttle data.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$20 + $10*6 = $80

No that's not cheap, when you are streaming video data

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Google FI site is a bit confusing and possibly misleading. Under the $70/month plan it says unlimited data but....
"Unlimited data High-speed data up to 22 GB/person & slower after. Video may stream at DVD-quality (480p)."
The $20/month plan (+$10/GB max $60 more) does not say anything about speeds or limits.

CBDunkerson

Where I am

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trackrig wrote:

Supposedly, Google, who has service contracts with Sprint, ATT and Verizon, will switch your call to whichever carrier you have the strongest connection to at the time your call is placed.

Does anyone have experience with using Google FI?

I have Visible (which uses the Verizon network) as my main internet hotspot because it is cheap and truly unlimited. Google Fi is on my primary smartphone and serves as a backup hotspot because it connects calls and data through Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, and various wifi networks. Between the two of them that covers all of the top five US cellular networks except AT&T.

I'd say I use Visible more than 95% of the time. Every once in a while I'll have poor or no signal on Visible and be able to use Google Fi instead. More often, if one isn't working then neither does.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Does anyone use Google FI for their cellular service?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS