cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fridge removal and replacement

Lerv
Explorer
Explorer
My fridge has died on me, and I am curious, how can I remove it from the coach? Looking at the numbers, it seems to large to fit through the rear entry door https://refrigeratorfaq.com/refrigerator-lock/ . Does anyone have experience here?

Thanks

FYI, my rig is a 1988 Chinook Concourse 18 plus. It has a Norcold 8663, 6.3 cubixc foot, 3-way fridge.
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gee. I just replaced the cooling unit. We layed it face down on the floor (Had to move a fixture but only 4 screws and that was also part of the next job) took the back off and carried it out the door. carried the new back in and put it on (Ok I'm very highly simplifying Rachal did a lot of work "Between" Steps) and shoved it back in place.. Works great now. No windows involved.

Next job was replacing the floor on the slide out.> The Fixture (Dining room table) I needed to move bolts to that floor so it had to move anyway .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The window.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29948572.cfm
Post of a fridge going through window

They build campers from the inside out sometimes, so the interior and furnishings are installed before the outer walls sometimes. The window might be the only hole big enough.

If you have a big window that is an "emergency exit" window then you are fortunate as you can remove the window without removing the frame, often this is why there is an emergency window.

Good news is that you end up replacing the butyl around the window, which is something that is a maintenance issue after 10-15 years anyway.

Consider converting to the Danfoss type compressor fridge. Some propane models can be converted, or there are many chest type fridge/freezers out there. Dometic or ARB are two name brand ones, but many others on ebay that are similar.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve always been able to remove the RV door to make them fit, if the door is too narrow.
I wouldnโ€™t repair yours- due to its age, I would bet the foam is bad and the door has swollen a bit, but you did get 31 years out of it!
-- Chris Bryant

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
How are ya gonna get the replacement back in ?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just tossing it away, dismantle it and take it out piece by piece. Once you have the pieces outside, you can crush the metal box, bend it up, or chop it up to get it out the door.

However, if you plan to keep it whole... probably through a removed window.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
convert the existing unit to a compressor fridge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Ours came out and back in through bedroom window/escape hatch. open it and folded back out of the way. 6 big men and a pickup truck managed it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the cooling unit with an Amish made unit so no removal necessary.

Works better than a new one.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had our Dometic fridge replaced a few years ago while wintering down in Florida. They took the old one out an new one in through the entry door of our trailer. They took off the fridge doors first.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
had ours repaced at CW. it went thru the entry door, minus the fridge doors.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hiโ€”we just did ours and replaced it with a residential model. Have done many over the years. Do you have specific questions that I can answer for you?
chartrue2@aol.com

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The shop at the RV store where I work usually takes them out the nearest window. It takes the about 10 minutes to remove a window and about a half hour to re-install it.

They take the fork lift and extend the forks into the coach, hoist the fridge up onto the forks and back it out. This may be your biggest challenge doing it this way, unless you have a fork truck that is.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
You can make the frig smaller by removing the door, and sometimes by removing the cooling unit. If that doesn't work, you may have to remove a window. Check to see what your best option is by measuring doors and windows.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog