Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: health insurance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> health insurance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
machunt

cincinnati ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and i are retired and collecting a pension from our emplooyer. we are not medicare eligible, i will not be at all, she will be in 5 years. what is everyone using for healthcare?

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were self employed for decades. Health insurance is one hot mess in the US.
We are now on Medicare but before we turned 65, we were paying over $2000/mo and had high deductibles so most years add on another $3-5K out of pocket.

What don’t you qualify for Medicare? If you need more contribution go back to work.
If you have the income bite the bullet. If not, work until your 65.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too am curious why you wouldn't be eligible for Medicare come age 65. Even if you didn't work, you can be covered if you were married to someone who does qualify for more than 10 years. There are many rules and provisions to medicare, so it would pay to get professional help. And even if there is no way for you to qualify, you can still buy in at a premium much lower than private insurance provided you are a legal US citizen.
As for current coverage, you might very well qualify for premium assistance under the ACA unless you make a significant income. If that is the case, premiums for people in their 50s and 60s are just plain expensive, even with sky high deductibles. And if there was actually an easy fix, even our completely inept legislative and executive branches of government would have gotten it accomplished. But healthcare is wildly expensive and free lunches don't exist. Like Whack-A-Mole, trying to fix one area will just cause another huge problem to pop up.

machunt

cincinnati ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked for the state so i never paid social security. my pensiion is through the state retirement system. my wife did pay into soscial security so i can get madicare through her even through i did not pay in/ if so is it at a subsidential cost

jesseannie

Roseburg, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really?
If you don't get SS benefits does that exclude you from Medicare?

jesseannie

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am retired and have good coverage from a state run system for teachers. It is a merging of the state system and medicare. Definitely not free. The medicare part is around $100/month and the state part is maybe 200 or so. My wife is covered under the same system but not subsidized so our total bill must be over $400. Also, there is considerable out-of-pocket. Not complaining considering the medical care we've had. I think we could come close to the premiums with something like blue-cross but without some of the guaranteed coverage and unlimited amount, etc.

Jayco-noslide

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a retired teacher, I am not eligible for social security because we did not pay into it except for a small amount from pre-teaching work. But we did pay a small amount so as to be medicare eligible which I am.

machunt

cincinnati ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can get medicare when i reach 65 through my state run pension plan, its call ed the connector, they will subsidize my premiums but at what % is still unknown.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there are other options besides traditional insurance. look into/google MediShare.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a retired city cop and didn't pay into SS for 30 years but I am Medicare eligible and am on it. My wife won't be 65 for another 18 months and she is continuing on my city healthcare plan to the tune of $600/month. FWIW, I paid $0 into healthcare for the last 10 years that I've been retired so I shouldn't complain.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> health insurance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS