cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

battery charging

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
we found that campin connected to the shoreline - well the battery still ran down.
so we bought a little Trick-L-start thing and since then (2006) the battery starts the motorhome.
over winter we used to disconnect the MH batteries from the MH and use a Ctek to maintain the batteries. all 3 joined in parralel.

now we store it where we can leave the MH plugged in all winter in southern BC mild climate (usually).
then we read in the manual...NOTE: We do not recommend leaving the
shoreline plugged in continuously during
storage periods because the batteries
can lose electrolytic fluids and become
damaged from continuous charging
without periodic use or maintenance.
We recommend following regular battery
inspection and maintenance, especially
in cold weather.

any ideas? what is the worst that can happen to the new this year batteries?
the deep cell are maintainable the starter is no maintenance.
thanks all
2006 Itasca sunova 29r
11 REPLIES 11

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We always boondock. Never plug in, never bring the generator. A 100 watt solar panel and charge controller keep the batteries over 80% charge all the time in summer here in sunny northern Alberta. I have the house batteries and engine battery connected so It is also kept charged. We have all LED lights, no TV and the microwave oven serves as a bread box.

We just had a week at 20 below zero C and a foot of snow. The snow on the solar panel put it out of production, and the engine parasytic current draw discharged the engine battery well below 50%. Iโ€™ve got the smart charger on it now and am hoping it isnโ€™t damaged too badly.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've added that Trick-L-Start. And keep our mh plugged in when in storage.
I've found after adding the Trick-L-Start that the batteries seldom need water add to them.

Dusty

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks all
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If you have modern multi stage converter then it's OK to leave your rig plugged in year round - it won't deplete battery water like the old Magnetek converters. If you have an old style converter then it's still OK to leave it plugged in - you just have to check the batteries more often and top off water as needed.
Kevin

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer
Charging a lead acid battery is the process of replacing the energy detached during discharge, plus EXTRA to recompense for any charging inefficiencies. The amount of energy necessary for total recharge depends on the depth of discharge, rate of recharge and temperature.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Itasca is telling you that their charger is junk.
worse. it has no charger that i know of! i use the trick l start
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
anon125 wrote:
NOTE: We do not recommend leaving the
shoreline plugged in continuously during
storage periods because the batteries
can lose electrolytic fluids and become
damaged from continuous charging
without periodic use or maintenance.
Itasca is telling you that their charger is junk.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does a full timer do? Most are plugged in near continuous.
OK to check voltage, electrolyte levels and general conditions once a month.

Some charging systems are better than others. Might help to post what you have for best answers.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I've used these BatteryMinders continuously on all my batteries for years with no ill effects and they're always ready with a full charge. I keep one on the chassis battery of my MH so it stays fully charged and ready. When I head south for the winter, I leave the batteries in lawnmower and the cars I leave behind connect to them. They prevent the harmful effects of leaving batteries connected and never boil out the water or sulfate the plates. Highly recommended!

BatteryMINDer Plus Battery Charger/Trickle Charger/Desulfator โ€” 12 Volt, 1 Amp, Model# 12117TC avail...

BatteryMinder Website

From the BatteryMinder website wrote:
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A solar system. I use a 30 watt panel and weatherproof controler from WindyNation...about $80...when the TT and "big" roof solar system are covered. However, if you are using wet batteries you still need to make a monthly check.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad