cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 6.7 Diesel

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to buy a 2012 f350 super duty 6.7 TD CC LB 4X4. I'll be pulling a 12,500 lb. 5th wheel trailer. My question is how many miles is too many for this truck? I'm new to diesels and from what I've heard diesels last longer than gas engines, but with no personal experience, I need some help from you diesel experts. If you were buying this truck how many miles would cause you to shy away from the truck?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
37 REPLIES 37

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
There are also many fanboys here who do not like to tell the truth because it makes their favorite brand look bad. They are usually easy to spot because they will focus only on the bad of other brands and refuse to believe there is anything bad with their favorite brand. They also usually exaggerate numbers so take what they say with a grain of salt just as you would with a fanboy of an opposing brand.

LOL.... I overlooked this one. And the fanboys who now say it's ok that their favorite brand now has a CP4.2 pump and that it's now a good pump and all is well.... LOL
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know from experience that the CP4 pump isn't as fragile as some people believe it to be. Shortly after buying my 2011 6.7 I filled it with gasoline. I noticed it pinging and ended up pulling into a freinds place a few miles further down the road where I pumped the contents of my tank into his gasoline pickup and my wife's car. I did this by simply attaching a hose to the hose bringing fuel to the engine mounted fuel filter and turning the ignition to the on position. (It would pump for a few seconds then stop so I had to continue to cycle the ignition key on and off) After emptying the tank I filled my truck with diesel and carried on. About a year later I abcent mindedly put DEF into the fuel tank. This time I caught my mistake before starting the engine and I pumped the tank dry the same way and carried on. If I had towed my truck to a Ford dealer they would have charged me to replace the entire low pressure side of the fuel system on account of the def and the entire fuel system on account of the gasoline. In my case it cost me nothing. Additionally I ran that truck out of fuel on at least one occasion. I ran that truck to over 100,000 miles before selling it and never had a problem with it.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
lenr wrote:
When the CP4 failure rate first popped up from 2011 to 2013 there was some formal and maybe a review by National Safety folks. The Ford actual CP4 failure rate was 6 out of 10,000 with plenty of those being water, ethanol, DEF, or gasoline in the fuel, which is not the fault of Ford (or Bosch). I suspect as the motor and fuel industries have learned about the sensitivities, that the failure rate has gone down. Yes, it sucks if it happens to you, but the odds are low. I use Ford fuel treatment and try to buy from high volume stations to lower my personal risk.
I had the actual documents back in that time period. That was a couple of crashed computers ago, so I no longer have them.

But as I recall Ford had a failure rate about 1/2 of GMs. Ford was in the 2 per 10,000 range and GM was in the 4 range.

That did not jibe with what was being reported on the forums back then... At that time, there had not been a single GM report of a CP4 failure.... But there were a number of reports on Fords... Many of them being denied warranty.

I dug into those reports, and have idea why there was the discrepancy in the NHSTA reports and what was being reported on the forums.

It seems that the NHSTA only documents warranty claim failures. And since Ford was denying a good number of claims, then those claims would not be included in Fords failure rate.
GM was quitely fixing their failures under warranty, but their NHSTA failure rate was higher as a result... In reality, both brands likely had similar rates, though the Ford forums did have a number of reports of DEF mistakenly being put in the diesel tank.... It is likely that some of those people tried to get Ford to warranty this.... It is doubtful that many suceeded at that as Ford had a very strict protocol on how to check for DEF diesel contamination. So overall, I doubt that had much of an impact on the rate.

We now know that the CP4 doesn't tolerate air in the fuel so with GM skimping out on a lift pump it's very believable their failure rate was higher.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
When the CP4 failure rate first popped up from 2011 to 2013 there was some formal and maybe a review by National Safety folks. The Ford actual CP4 failure rate was 6 out of 10,000 with plenty of those being water, ethanol, DEF, or gasoline in the fuel, which is not the fault of Ford (or Bosch). I suspect as the motor and fuel industries have learned about the sensitivities, that the failure rate has gone down. Yes, it sucks if it happens to you, but the odds are low. I use Ford fuel treatment and try to buy from high volume stations to lower my personal risk.
I had the actual documents back in that time period. That was a couple of crashed computers ago, so I no longer have them.

But as I recall Ford had a failure rate about 1/2 of GMs. Ford was in the 2 per 10,000 range and GM was in the 4 range.

That did not jibe with what was being reported on the forums back then... At that time, there had not been a single GM report of a CP4 failure.... But there were a number of reports on Fords... Many of them being denied warranty.

I dug into those reports, and have idea why there was the discrepancy in the NHSTA reports and what was being reported on the forums.

It seems that the NHSTA only documents warranty claim failures. And since Ford was denying a good number of claims, then those claims would not be included in Fords failure rate.
GM was quitely fixing their failures under warranty, but their NHSTA failure rate was higher as a result... In reality, both brands likely had similar rates, though the Ford forums did have a number of reports of DEF mistakenly being put in the diesel tank.... It is likely that some of those people tried to get Ford to warranty this.... It is doubtful that many suceeded at that as Ford had a very strict protocol on how to check for DEF diesel contamination. So overall, I doubt that had much of an impact on the rate.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. I enjoyed reading all of your comments. However, I was hoping to learn about diesel engines so I could feel more comfortable using and maintaining them. Well, I did learn more than I expected and now, I don't even want a diesel. I'll stick with my problem-free V10 gas and just go slow on the hills.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my experience if you ask an Amish man a question, the most likely answer will be "it depends." So, while I'm not Amish, my answer to the OP's original question of how many miles is "it depends." It depends on condition, price, and confidence of good maintenance. I prefer to buy new because I know how a vehicle has been cared for as it gets old. My 2012 6.7 has 116,000 mi., with no out of warranty problems except a plugged EGR. It tows our 12,500 lb. fifth wheel just great. I may routinely replace the fuel pump somewhere between 150K and 200K--won't know until that time comes, but I do expect to keep trucking. A HPFP job should be around a $1000 at a reasonably priced shop--less then 2 payments on a new truck. And, if doing that I would have the S&S bypass kit installed.

A lot of the urban legend hype around the HPFP failures resulted from the cost of repair. When the pump goes it throws metal into the injectors ruining them. Repair (on line) seems to run from $9,000 to $15,000 depending on who's telling the story. Yet, I know of a small town Ford dealer that has done them for less than $5,000. The S&S kit eliminates the injector risk, but the labor to get it installed isn't free (read fuel pump is buried.) I don't know why Ford, Cummins, and Bosch don't incorporate a bypass, but I'm sure they have a reason. Everyone does know, don't they, that Cummins now uses the CP4. Cummins is pretty conservative--doubt that they would switch without some confidence in it. And, Ford now puts the 6.7 in their F650 trucks with a 10% breakdown rating of 500,000 miles and a 250,000 mile warranty--can't be all bad, but if you buy used, you take a chance.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
Not positive but I believe that Canadian fuel has a higher lubricity standard than US fuel, which might explain a lower HPFP failure rate up North. However, something North of 99.94% of the 6.7s in the US also have no fuel pump problems with many of those with a failure being traced back to contaminated fuel.

Where does the 99.94% come from? Proof source?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not positive but I believe that Canadian fuel has a higher lubricity standard than US fuel, which might explain a lower HPFP failure rate up North. However, something North of 99.94% of the 6.7s in the US also have no fuel pump problems with many of those with a failure being traced back to contaminated fuel.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is another failed one!

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/sad-6-7-ford.267950/
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Back to the topic at hand..... :B

I remember when the 6.7L came out and Ford had a HUGE marketing campaign which talked extensively about the millions of miles they put on this engine in all types of extreme temperatures under extreme loads before they released it. If that was truly the case, how did none of these issues crop up??? :h

By september of 2013 Ford had installed 500000 6.7 Powerstroke diesels in thier trucks. They now have billions of miles put on them and a few have had issues. I don't know of anyone personally who has had a problem with a 6.7 Powerstroke. Our family owns a number of 6.7 powerstrokes and we put about 400000 km per year on our trucks. I've not heard of a single 6.7 engine issue. If I was buying a used Ford diesel I would likely buy a 2015 or newer.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:

I remember when the 6.7L came out and Ford had a HUGE marketing campaign which talked extensively about the millions of miles they put on this engine in all types of extreme temperatures under extreme loads before they released it. If that was truly the case, how did none of these issues crop up??? :h

I think you can put that in the same category as multiple PDI's that RV MFG's brag about.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
There are also many fanboys here who do not like to tell the truth because it makes their favorite brand look bad. They are usually easy to spot because they will focus only on the bad of other brands and refuse to believe there is anything bad with their favorite brand. They also usually exaggerate numbers so take what they say with a grain of salt just as you would with a fanboy of an opposing brand.

Your post at first sounded Fishy to me. But then again I'm Cummins to believe you're on to something. 🙂

LOL!!!!

^^^^ That is pretty funny!!!

LOL..... onto the next 100k miles