Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Furnace works; then doesn't; works again?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Furnace works; then doesn't; works again?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep.....thought about that too, Bob! I also boondock more than hookup, so it's rather important to me. Not sure what a new unit would cost but will ask. Mainly, I want to make sure they pulled it apart versus just put the board in and fired it up once. I think a trained monkey could do that.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VA-Apraisr wrote:

Yep.....thought about that too, Bob! I also boondock more than hookup, so it's rather important to me. Not sure what a new unit would cost but will ask. Mainly, I want to make sure they pulled it apart versus just put the board in and fired it up once. I think a trained monkey could do that.

[emoticon] Good luck , I hope it's a simple fix for you.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once found a loose screw connection at the fuse panel that caused intermittent furnace action. Look also for loose or corroded ground or +12volt connections at the thermostat and at the furnace itself.

I had an old rig with an old furnace that was intermittent. I had to run the stove to clear air bubbles from propane lines. Furnaces have a lot of safety devices that need to work properly with a steady flow of propane.

* This post was edited 11/04/19 10:15am by Bordercollie *

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bordercollie wrote:

Furnaces have a lot of safety devices that need to work properly with a steady flow of propane.
Excellent point!

Run your stove for a few minutes to evacuate air in the line, especially after service was just completed on any propane appliance.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, tried the range running to make sure gas was available, turned off tank and back on, turned water heater on, ..... it's back at shop and will post results (positive I hope) once they figure it out. Told them to check digital thermostat and maybe try a manual thermostat; also check regulator to ensure proper propane pressure, and pull heater box apart and look for any rust. Fingers crossed XX

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UPDATE: so, they had already replaced the main board (maybe unnecessary?) and nothing had changed. So, this time, the removed the Honeywell digital thermostat and replaced with White-Rogers analog RV thermostat and also straightened out the heating duct beneath the sink/couch/bedroom areas since they said they were "kinked up" in several places and thought that was causing a high heat sensor to trip the furnace off and not auto-start back up. They said they left furnace on last night with temps here going down into the high 30's and said camper was toasty warm this morning. Seems to be working as I type but will know for sure once I'm on the cool beaches of North Carolina this weekend and next week.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the update, it might have been a combination of the thermostat and that kinked hose. Either way, its good news to hear that it cycled enough times to keep it warm.
Enjoy, N.C.
Bob

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like it was the 'thermostat'......

The 'kinked up' ductwork COULD cause issues with air flow (not enough thru the heat exchanger) which would cause overheating and the High Temp Limit Switch would open shutting down gas valve
BUT fan would continue to run....High Temp Limit only stops DC circuit to circuit board NOT DC to Fan.
Fan continues to run cooling down heat exchanger/High Temp Limit Switch Closes ...DC back on circuit board which opens gas vlave/spark electrode fires and re lights because Thermostat Temp Set Point has NOT been reached.

Furnace firing off....reaching t-stat set point and then NOT refiring when temp drops is usually an issue with the thermostat

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man o man....you guys are a valuable knowledge pool of thoughts!! Yes, I feel it was mainly the Lowe's brand Honeywell not syncing with the RV. But, I've now got a new circuit board, unkinked ducts and new thermostat. Sadly, throw enough money at it and sooner or later a dart will hit the target [emoticon] I had better be WARM on that BEACH.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like you are in good order again. I find it strange that your ducts were kinked. Were they kinked since the rig was new? Or are they in places where your stuff has kinked them.

It seems that your digital thermostat might have been the real culprit. We have the mechanical one shown and love it. I would never get a digital one for the way we use our rig.
[image]

At home, we had a digital thermostat for many years and we both cursed it. I finally had a Popeye moment "It's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more". We are back to the old round Honeywell with the coil spring and mercury switch inside.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Furnace works; then doesn't; works again?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS