cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing on snowy roads

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, I hauled a 26' bumper pull TT with a 1500 4x4 Suburban up to the ski area every weekend. Never had to chain up or set a drag chain. Now, I am preparing to haul my bumper pull TH with my 4x4 diesel Dodge over 2 passes. Question is, on the truck, do I chain the front or rear axle while towing?
2007 Dodge QC 4x4 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD
2014 Stealth BP TH
2017 Harley Ultra Limited
25 REPLIES 25

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
No snow!!! Had a great time.
2014 Stealth BP TH

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:
Years ago, I hauled a 26' bumper pull TT with a 1500 4x4 Suburban up to the ski area every weekend. Never had to chain up or set a drag chain. Now, I am preparing to haul my bumper pull TH with my 4x4 diesel Dodge over 2 passes. Question is, on the truck, do I chain the front or rear axle while towing?

Which two passes?
Keep in mind that if chains are required, rear axle on the TV and one axle drag chained on the trailer.

Oregon and Washington chain laws are very similar.

Snoqualmie and Blewett.
2014 Stealth BP TH

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

I don't believe that "Most" truckers park when chains are required. I have seen way too much truck traffic when on snow covered roads to say "Most" are parked.
Drivers have schedules to meet, and even being paid by the mile, you don't make money sitting in a truck stop.
I have also put Iron on an 18 wheeler, other than the weight of the chains, actually easier than putting on my truck. Yes the Iron was for dual wheels.
Towing on snow just takes being aware, keeping a safe following distance and not over driving the conditions.
Heck tow a horse trailer from Butte to Spokane on snow covered roads no issues.

Not saying I never chained I owned my truck so there was no pay if I wasn't moving. If the trucks going the opposite direction said its clear once you hit the summit and I could run 10 miles or so with chains were good. Most of the trucks chaining were day cabs paid hourly and home nights. I did 11 western for years. But we are off topic, he's in an RV. Most RV's need off the road when snowing. Many of those pulling RV's can't drive them on a good day. BTY before I did the long haul I spent 25 years in a patrol unit in any weather. I have no idea how many millions of miles in 35+ years paid to drive, growing up in the Midwest driving to HS in the snow. Have I pulled the RV in the snow yes, but the snow was not expected. This is Wolf Creek pass October 2018. 4" on the ground when I hit the summit E/B. Locked in 4X4 pulling my 35 ft 5W and breaking traction just before the summit. Training & experience help.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edd505 wrote:
snowpeke wrote:
I work on Donner summit in the winter and see RVs (but not many) going through chain control. Also most 18 wheelers do not park they chain up. As for your set up you can put good steel chains on the back wheels for better traction. Your trailer get a good set of cable chains. On Donner summit California 1-80 they won't let you through with our chains on truck and trailer. If was me I would wait out the storm!

The good majority park. If you have ever chained 4 drives and a drag chain on a trailer you know just how hard that is. That is ALL on duty time & subtracted from your driving day. Chained you might do 25-30 so being paid by the mile you also loose miles every hour. Big difference watching the trucks on Donner, Cabbage, Look out, 4th of July, Snoqualmie, or Stevens, than driving one. We won't go east they have little passes that way. I drove my own truck 10-13K a month, not a company rig and did very well. My advise to the new drivers coming into winter, drive slow enough that when you crash you can walk away from it. I was accident free and still am.

I don't believe that "Most" truckers park when chains are required. I have seen way too much truck traffic when on snow covered roads to say "Most" are parked.
Drivers have schedules to meet, and even being paid by the mile, you don't make money sitting in a truck stop.
I have also put Iron on an 18 wheeler, other than the weight of the chains, actually easier than putting on my truck. Yes the Iron was for dual wheels.
Towing on snow just takes being aware, keeping a safe following distance and not over driving the conditions.
Heck tow a horse trailer from Butte to Spokane on snow covered roads no issues.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:

Which two passes?
Keep in mind that if chains are required, rear axle on the TV and one axle drag chained on the trailer.

Oregon and Washington chain laws are very similar.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yea you may not see truckers parked because I speculate they know well in advance and don't even go there.
Parked well away.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
snowpeke wrote:
I work on Donner summit in the winter and see RVs (but not many) going through chain control. Also most 18 wheelers do not park they chain up. As for your set up you can put good steel chains on the back wheels for better traction. Your trailer get a good set of cable chains. On Donner summit California 1-80 they won't let you through with our chains on truck and trailer. If was me I would wait out the storm!

The good majority park. If you have ever chained 4 drives and a drag chain on a trailer you know just how hard that is. That is ALL on duty time & subtracted from your driving day. Chained you might do 25-30 so being paid by the mile you also loose miles every hour. Big difference watching the trucks on Donner, Cabbage, Look out, 4th of July, Snoqualmie, or Stevens, than driving one. We won't go east they have little passes that way. I drove my own truck 10-13K a month, not a company rig and did very well. My advise to the new drivers coming into winter, drive slow enough that when you crash you can walk away from it. I was accident free and still am.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:
Good info, thanks all. I have a good set of steel link chains for the truck, they have been test fitted and work. Will be picking up a set of cables for the TH. I don't expect to have to use them, and if it gets bad, and I do chain up, I will be using my best judgement on whether to continue or find a safe place out of the way of the trajectory of those unlucky folks that think 4x4 will save them. I didn't mention, but I do have some experience in the snow, drove the ski bus for years, and we would chain that up at the first place available when required.

Personally would not bother with "cable" chains for the trailer. They are not durable at all. Don't need bar reinforced or anything special -just get real chains that fit properly. Install them/adjust them at least once in a low stress environment.

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I have always used this WAC: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-24-050

I have not found a RCW covering tire chain use (only studs). Do you have additional links?

Citations for these type of infractions reference RCW on the citation. WAC is the administrative code.

hint -traction devices not chains

a easy starting point is 47.36.250 but make sure you read all the "dispositions". Also, WSP under WAC has wide latitude to internally set rules policies and procedure to enforce RCW. Statements like this in an RCW means WSP has that latitude for the statue: "The Washington state patrol or the department may specify different recommendations or requirements for four wheel drive vehicles in gear."
https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=47.36.250

Remember that reading RCW and WAC is not simple. The starting point is always "an liberal interpretation" unless statue states otherwise.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is one link to law.
WAC for chains
WACs clarifies what is in RCWs.
RCW 46.37 would be the starting place. RCW 47.36.250

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:
Primary drive axle first.

Bedlam
I have always used this WAC: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-24-050

I have not found a RCW covering tire chain use (only studs). Do you have additional links?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
enblethen wrote:
In Washington, a 4x4 locked in gear does not need to have chains unless the signs are out for trucks to use chains. You must carry chains! Normally you would install when required on the rear drive axle and on the last braking axle of trailer.
https://www.wsdot.com/winter/tires-chains.htm

If your vehicle is over 10k lbs GVWR or you are towing, you must chain up in WA even if you have 4wd anytime chain controls are posted.

Typically a single drag chain on the trailer can be mounted on any wheel of any axle that has brakes. If your trailer does not have brakes, you must still mount a set of chains/cables to one wheel.

My experience would be that a single drag chain on the trailer does not actually meet Revised Code of Washington(RCW) upon a liberal interpretation. Many WSP officers are too busy when weather is poor to strictly enforce this issue. However, get into an accident and or get stuck -the ticket will be painful along with increasing your "at fault" risk...

Also, remember that as soon as you connect any trailer to a vehicle per RCW -you are subject to being considered a "Truck" for many driving situations including speed limit and snow chains.

A tip on the trailer -make sure your electric brake wiring is fastened down properly and the splices are weather tight. WSDOT uses lots of brine water and mag chloride for deicer -this stuff reeks havoc on electric connections. Make sure the chain/cable tails are cut back as much as possible to minimize damage to the trailer.

2nd tip. make sure your brake controller is set to lead the truck slightly for the best control.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Most passes are cleared well to maintain travel, cross when clear. If chains are required find a place to park it's not a time to be driving. No reason to drive in that kind of weather, most 18 wheels park and they drive thousands of miles a month.

This guy is forum king!
He is right and insightful on all.
Do not take risk.
Take up knitting instead, stay at home as much as possible, and only venture out on clear sunny days and only when you need more yarn.
He knows better than you.