1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
You guys really watch too much TV.

Tell that to the family of the couple that lived just a few miles from me a few years ago. He answered the door one evening to be attacked without warning. He was beaten down by the male assailant while the female attacked the wife. Once they were both subdued they were tied and tortured for an hour or two before both of them had a tube thrust down their throat and bleach poured down it.

There really are very sick individuals out there and I only hope your "it'll never happen to me" attitude doesn't get you and your family killed.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Part of participating in life is having fun. We have hobbies. And, there's not enough interest, time, and money for all of us to have the same hobbies. Guns have been one of my hobbies since I was very young. Yes, guns can work for purposes of self defense. At my age, in order to have the health and energy to do what I want to do, SLEEP is VERY important. And, the amount and quality of my sleep is enhanced by sleeping with a loaded 9mm Glock under my pillow. BUT, I don't recommend guns nor do I recommend aircraft aerobatics nor fast boats and cars. Everyone has to choose for themselves.
In my Dutch Star, pulling my GMC 4x4 Envoy, I cruise at 65 mph, because it's safer. My goal is to live to age 90 (10 more years).
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I feel that your safety and self defense are completely up to YOU.The police will not be there to protect you when the time comes,they will be there after the fact.
How you decide to defend yourself is also completely up to you.

I have a weapon with me everywhere I am allowed to carry one.I shoot often to practice, at least two or three times a month and I have taken self defense training.

My suggestion is if you are going to carry a weapon practice with it alot and get some self defense training.(you will learn alot)

If you are unwilling to practice and get training you are most likely better off not carrying a weapon.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
There has always been great debate over who was the best gunslinger in the old west. The one who historians really think was the best was Bat Masterson. A couple quotes from Masterson. "never let another guy get the drop on you" and "never pull a gun you don't intend to use" I hear a lot of folks here echoing that good advice.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"When you tell someone you'll fire and he says "do it or you're dead" it's really important actually to be able to do it because what follows won't be pretty - and I hope they don't deal with your wife and children before they finish you off because your heart will be utterly ripped from you as you see what happens to them before your turn comes..."

You guys really watch too much TV.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
When a gun is pointed at you, what the hell makes you think you will be able to pull yours out and "win"?
B.O.

Being armed means having the ability to try to to save your life...but nothing is certain in this world. So practice, and more practice is prudent and increases your odds.
If you don't win at least you have the opportunity to try.
Not having the tools the weapon means your chances are slim to none.
Even Jesus said if you can't afford a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.From that point, of having the weapon, it is on you to learn how to use it well. Weapons are neither good nor evil that comes from whoever has it or a hammer or baseball bat, big rock or whatever.
I fail to see the logic, the reason, the morality, in being being defenseless, or not trying to defend yourself.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
I'm atheist but I call for Jesus after the last two posts...

Between the chap who wouldn't consider defending himself because "you shouldn't try this at home" which is, absolutely, the place you need to "try this" to the nicely religious person who, due to his beliefs, will allow all his family to be killed by an idiot because he fears that his ownership of a firearm will result in his death from said firearm I weep...

Both of you are the people the nasty people love... they pray to their god that you will be out there and that they are guided to your house at 0300... Ready and waiting to be prey... Funny how pray and prey are such similar words isn't it?

His weapon of choice was a 38 cylinder mounted to a 32 frame. No, the bullet would not fit thru the barrel.

And there is the ultimate stupidity... I'd destroy that too but you need to understand that your father was an utter fool. He had a piece of metal that he could brandish if he felt threatened but that had no "teeth" whatsoever... If you make a threat you really need to be able to follow through on that threat.. When you tell someone you'll fire and he says "do it or you're dead" it's really important actually to be able to do it because what follows won't be pretty - and I hope they don't deal with your wife and children before they finish you off because your heart will be utterly ripped from you as you see what happens to them before your turn comes...

Laugh if you like but there are lots of people out there that are that sadistic and cruel...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
As far as defense weapons I vote for the 10mm in Glock, Rock Islands 1911 or Colt Delta Elite ad a number of others.I also favor a number of other calibers but the 10mm hass it all over the .45 which wtoul not penetrate an old Model T's door.
I heard a non gunner say something about over penetration well spray and pray is not the idea. practice and marksmanship is. Almost any caliber will penetrate both sides of an RV including .22s. A 10mm with liberty Civil Defense Rounds willnot go through a tank but will take down any animal out there.
And heaven knows you won't miss when you're shooting at someone who may have the option of shooting back. Check out how many rounds are usually shot by "trained professional" vs the number of rounds that actually hit someone.

Just consider the warning given by most TV shows: "Don't try this at home". And take it to heart.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
... and here begins the bad advice from purported firearms experts counterpoised by the ridiculous scenarios put forth by those who are scared of their own shadows let alone a loud, scary firearm...

Time to close a thread who's title is utterly redundant... Of course there are bad people out there... Did anyone need this level of enlightenment?

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
When a gun is pointed at you, what the hell makes you think you will be able to pull yours out and "win"?
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
As far as defense weapons I vote for the 10mm in Glock, Rock Islands 1911 or Colt Delta Elite ad a number of others.I also favor a number of other calibers but the 10mm hass it all over the .45 which wtoul not penetrate an old Model T's door.
I heard a non gunner say something about over penetration well spray and pray is not the idea. practice and marksmanship is. Almost any caliber will penetrate both sides of an RV including .22s. A 10mm with liberty Civil Defense Rounds willnot go through a tank but will take down any animal out there.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:
Don't overthink it. Just practice a lot in order to get good at fast-draw. Then, know that:
The Glock 19 9mm is easier to shoot well than the .40 caliber pistol. While recoil energy may be calculated, the easiest way is to calculate power factor. ... 9mm defense loads rate 13 to 14, the .40 runs to 17 and over. The 230-grain .45 is at 20; the .45 ACP 185-grain standard load is at about 17.

It seems like a snubnosed .44 magnum with good grips might be the best to carry in the rig. (Ya might want to hold it with two hands, though.) ๐Ÿ˜‰
Now there's some seriously bad advice, considering the penetrating power. Lots of opportunity for damage to be done several trailers over. Don't take Dirty Harry at face value.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or just stay home behind locked doors where you are safe. :B