Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Country Ham

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Out in Kingman Az fer a spell.
Wife has been to the few supermarkets there are including a WalMart.
Not one of them had Country Ham.
Asked at two of them and they did not know what country Ham is!
23 REPLIES 23

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm from Michigan but always had country ham and grits growing up.
Not sure where my dad got a taste for it.
Have a sister-in-law that keeps me supplied in country ham.
Don't eat it often but I love the stuff.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your best bet is go to https://www.broadbenthams.com/ They have all the country ham type products you're craving. I get their biscuit slices and their bacon. All arrives un-refrigerated and perfectly safe. I love country ham and no one out east of Oklahoma even knows what it is. Waffle House is my first stop when one comes in to sight...............
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
It's a regional thing. Ask for whole ham or spiral cut ham. You will probably get better results.

Dutchmen, I usually agree with most of your comments, but there is a BIG difference in a whole ham and spiral cut ham and "country ham". Country ham is salt or occasionally sugar cured. Whole hams may be cured, but not with as much salt as a country ham is. It is so salty, it makes your blood pressure rise just smelling it cook. I guess that's what makes it so good.

OK! I learned something new today! Thanks!

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy, good old country ham, not city ham. Whole smoked country ham is one ugly piece of meat. Used to get ours at Rotz's Meats on US 522 just out of McConnellesburg, Penna. Also had Thomas Brothers when doing racing in the Carolinas' Along with some red eye gravy. Fine dining! If you find any in Arizona. At least now we can usually get Lebanon Bologna.
https://www.thomasbrothersham.com/shop

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one that isn't too much.

https://www.broadbenthams.com/8-9-LB-SEMIBONELESS-COOKED-HAM/productinfo/08/
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
It's a regional thing. Ask for whole ham or spiral cut ham. You will probably get better results.

Dutchmen, I usually agree with most of your comments, but there is a BIG difference in a whole ham and spiral cut ham and "country ham". Country ham is salt or occasionally sugar cured. Whole hams may be cured, but not with as much salt as a country ham is. It is so salty, it makes your blood pressure rise just smelling it cook. I guess that's what makes it so good.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
My mother soaked it in a lard can and changed the water several times before cooking. She boiled it on the stove until it was done, and removed the bone while it was still hot. She did a mustard based glaze in the oven before slicing.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Not salty if you cook in in coke cola

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
No country ham in Sedona. We go to Waffle House in Apache Junction (outside of Phoenix) in the winter when we're down there. But we do have a couple slices in our freezer from Broadbent Hams in Kentucky ๐Ÿ™‚

I see there's no Waffle House in Kingman.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
There is a small Butcher near Donaldson,Tn, I think, who produces great Country Hams. Don't remember the name right now. The hams are not that large but they are pricey. May order one and have it shipped.
We had Uncle Hershels Breakfast, renamed at Cracker Barrel a week ago or so. We had the country ham in it. Real pricey to buy slices of, ham or a whole one if they sell a whole one. Sedona is a few hours away. Tucson or Phoenix are they perhaps or probably have Country Hams.
As far as lty Country Ham it depends on who produces it, as to how long it is smoked, or even smoked after curing with salt and sugar.
When you cook a slice of country ham, put it in a skillet with water and let simmer for a bit. Pour that of and cook it. What your pour off is often used to make gravy. The reason for curing and peppering and smoking was to preserve the ham, bacon, and other cuts of meat, when there was no refrigeration.
Wife wanted to make a dish of scalloped potatoes with pieces of Country Ham in it. Last time she made it was for our Tribal meeting years ago. The aroma had everyone's mouth watering. It was great. There are bad hams too which we have encountered way too often in some Supermarkets. Now that Sheffield is Chinese Owned and processed and shipped back ehre quality sucks.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Minnesota it is also an unheard of item. I used to go to Cracker Barrel, and they usually had a whole ham available for sale. Haven't done that for a few years now, though. Not currently listed on their website, but you could ask. It looks like they also offer various repackaged meat items from Berger's Smokehouse...so there is always mail order from that source.

Not a Southern Boy by any stretch of the imagination, but when we made trips to the "East", my Dad insisted on driving back roads looking for farmhouses with roadside signs advertising "hams for sale". He insisted they were always the best, not like those "factory" operations. I'm sure those are long gone in this age of USDA inspections, etc.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
down home...you made me laugh so hard!

My spouse, who is from Kentucky, likes the country ham at Waffle House (even in AZ!) Sometimes we even ask them to sell us a slice or two (after eating breakfast there), and they do. Cracker Barrel has it too, as already mentioned.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
even in the deli?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk