Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Blow out water lines question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Blow out water lines question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got tired of lugging the air compressor uphill to the trailer 2 or 3 times a year, so I went back to the pink stuff. It’s fast and simple to use the onboard pump. It takes 1 1/2 gallons and 20 minutes. We do not drink out of our faucets because we are spoiled by our well water’s taste and we carry our own water supply in the truck for drinking.
Don’t forget the outside shower and black tank flush.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

your fresh water pump likely has a small filter/screen on it. On my rig I remove this filter as it generally still has water in it even after I blow my lines.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

I got tired of lugging the air compressor uphill to the trailer 2 or 3 times a year, so I went back to the pink stuff. It’s fast and simple to use the onboard pump. It takes 1 1/2 gallons and 20 minutes. We do not drink out of our faucets because we are spoiled by our well water’s taste and we carry our own water supply in the truck for drinking.
Don’t forget the outside shower and black tank flush.

X2. The pink stuff is easy, cheap, and fast. Been using it for 30+ years, never failed me yet.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

davehultin wrote:

I used to blow out our lines, but would still use the pump bypass to pump some antifreeze through the pump, and also pour some antifreeze into all the drains. I'd blow the lines for about 30 minutes for each faucet, and I never ever had any problems using the "blowing it out" method.

Now I blow it out and fill the lines with antifreeze. I figure at < $10 the antifreeze is a pretty inexpensive insurance policy.

Think we winterized and de-winterized 4 times last year as we camp through Dec and early as Feb if it's relatively close to or above freezing on a weekend. Used only air.

We used air the first time this Fall. This time though, we heard a lot of gurgling and couldn't get what I felt was enough water out of the lines. Around 35-40 psi on the compressor.

So we ran a little pink after blowing the lines and indeed, quite a bit of water was pushed before the pink. Yikes. We do leave the faucets open so there's room for expansion so don't think it would have been an issue but running pink took less than 10 min, 2 gallons ($5.00).

Estimate it will only take around 5 gallons to flush all of it so no biggie. Bonus was that Keystone put a petcock on the water pump and all we had to do is flip it to the cut off hose they attached to the pump and stuff the end into the bottle of antifreeze. Flip the pump and off we go. Effortless and no mess. Piece of mind.

And as an aside, our pex is stamped 100psi as I'm guessing most all RVs are. What a tech had mentioned is the connectors and elbows may not always be rated the same...not sure. I'm sure one of our techs on here can chime in.

2019 Keystone Outback 250URS
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

docnascar

Md

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I chickened out and used the pink stuff. I am considering blowing out the lines again to remove most of the pink since the lines and valves have been flushed. This is in hopes to reduce the amount of effort it takes to remove that pink stuff taste in the spring time. Now that I know the valves and water pump dont have any residual water in them I won't worry.

I'm thinking between the lower amounts of residual pink coating the lines and using baking soda in the spring, it will be easier to remove that taste.

Tow Vehicle
2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

docnascar wrote:

Well, I chickened out and used the pink stuff. I am considering blowing out the lines again to remove most of the pink since the lines and valves have been flushed. This is in hopes to reduce the amount of effort it takes to remove that pink stuff taste in the spring time. Now that I know the valves and water pump dont have any residual water in them I won't worry.

I'm thinking between the lower amounts of residual pink coating the lines and using baking soda in the spring, it will be easier to remove that taste.

That's a first. Once you put the pink stuff in you might as well have left it for the winter. Next time around just blow the lines correctly and anybody who says you have to blow the line and add pink stuff doesn't know how to blow the lines.

Kevin

docnascar

Md

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I hate the taste and have yet to find a solution to remove it quickly.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

docnascar wrote:

You did the right thing. Simply put blowing out the lines is not 100% foolproof vs. antifreeze.
THe residual water that may remain in the lines will always have the potential to create issues.
However if you run anti freeze through everything there won't be a problem.
I understand lots of people use the blow out method successfully.
Blowing out lines may have a 90% success rate. It may even be 95% successful. However do you want to gamble with the 5% error/failure rate?
Most likely the pex piping will be OK, it's a fitting or fixture that will fail.
Failure will be much harder and more expensive to deal with than 3 jugs of antifreeze.
For me the decision is easy. I don't want any surprises come Spring time. Antifreeze is foolproof

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Antifreeze is quicker. It is also more reliable. In the spring I flush it and sanitize the system. Never have a problem with taste or smell.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not spend a bit on a couple gallons of RV antifreeze and be 100% sure your are ok or blow out the line and HOPE you got all the water out?
Either way takes about the same amount of time by the time you get the compressor out and hooked up. Also, I have never had any residual taste remain after running water through my lines in the spring.

Did it both ways during over 40 years of RVing. Found out the hard way that the black tank flush line does not get winterized by using the antifreeze. Now, I blow the lines out and then put the antifreeze in. Takes just a bit longer but I know for certain that my RV is safe during the cold Michigan winters. [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Blow out water lines question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.