Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Rallies, Shows and Gatherings: Me
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
jakesjaunts

St Marys GA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All: For those of you that have been a part of group, you know me. Those of you that are new you have no clue. Pat, my wife of 44+ years, died of brain cancer on Apr 9, 2019. I had asked Janice to share that, so that I did not have to deal with it, which was not right. She should not be burdened with my loss. She was the person that got Pat laughing, during her visits, when there was little to laugh about.

This is the first time I will pull the rig in more than a year. As I am prepping the tow vehicle I thought that I should explain. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND. This is just an FYI. So you know why I might start tearing up during a conversation. I am not embarrassed. It is just me. I will be in AH on Wed evening. I will probably be connecting with Conyers during the time I am there. So Mags and me may be gone for a while.

Each day is a gift not a given.

2007 Chevy 2500 Silverado Duramax.
2014 34’ LIFESTYLE

Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talking about it would be good. It’s part of the grieving process. many of us have been through it also.Keep hanging in there.

Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
[email protected]
602-321-8141
Full-timer

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at your profile page. You have one really good looking 5er there. After sitting for a year, I suggest starting out slow, take it easy, gain confidence, check brakes at a low speed, make sure all the lights work, (turn signals, running lights, brake lights), tow it very gently at first, and adjust your driving as you feel confident everything is stable. Over the course of a year, your tow vehicle has not doubt had a bit more wear on it, and the entire 5er may feel familiar, but different at the same time. Just be cautious the first few miles until you gain trust in the 5er again.

I find, after my 5er sits for just a couple weeks, the initial pull out the drive way, the 5er just feels so heavy, as the transmission shifts at different points and the engine RPMs are higher. Of course I dive my truck every day too. It only takes a few days, then hitching up, and it feels "different" again for the first few minutes.

Be careful, be safe, take your time, adjust, and if anything doesn't feel quite right, don't push it. Stop and check things out.

Otherwise, good luck on your return to towing! Hope everything is OK, with absolutely no issues.

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have worked with surviving spouses...for almost 40 years. Your decision to go back on the road is a good one. Slow and study as the Dutchman advised.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.