cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rv electric brakes don't work

jkershaw
Explorer
Explorer
I need help to figure out what is wrong with my rv brakes.
I have a 2012 freedom express 292bhds
when I press the brakes all I hear is a humming noise from my 4 wheels.I have to drive it so I can store it for the winter.
Did any one have this problem before.
Thank you
5 REPLIES 5

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
The humming means that you have power to the brakes but that is just the first step of actuating electric brakes. The power activates the electric magnet which pulls itself onto the inside face of the brake drum and causes drag. The electric magnet is mounted on a lever that forces the shoes into contact with the drums when the magnet has drag on it. The magnet needs good contact with the drum face to work properly, the lever needs to work freely and have enough travel to activate the shoes and the shoes need to have pad left and be adjusted properly. The drums need to be grease free. All of this needs to be inspected for wear and free movement. If you pack your brakes using a grease fitting on the end of the axle be aware that if the grease seal on the axle leaks you are also greasing the brake shoes which makes them not work. Based on my experience I would take the bearings out and grease them by hand. I have become very disenchanted with electric drum brakes in the past couple of years due to constant issues with them. I recently upgraded to electric over hydraulic. It was expensive but now my brakes work effectively and consistently. I feel that it was a good investment in my life expectancy.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œSupportโ€ is always good! But brake questions go elsewhere. The idea to repack your wheel bearings is a good one. Just did mine. Had three warm and one cool. Now all four are cucumber cool.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moving about 25 mph and you manually apply full braking to the trailer and you feel nothing?

The hum is a good sign the electrics are working. To really verify proper current you need a clamp-on DC ammeter and you are looking for close to 3 amps at each wheel.

Otherwise you need to pull the drums and inspect. Probably time to repack the wheel bearings anyway.

And BTW how did you land in "Forum Posting and Support" forum?
You probably want Travel Trailers or Tech Issues.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The brakes will hum but not actually engage unless the wheel turns a bit. Why do you say they dont work?

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Humming noise is usually good, it shows the brakes are getting power.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500