Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Having a SENIOR moment
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Having a SENIOR moment

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

When you enter a city bear in mind the semis drive this route daily and are your safest way to avoid idiots entering and leaving the freeway.

First drove semi in 1964, sold my last one in 2011. While I agree the safest and normally fastest way to get thru a city is to follow them, most do not go thru the same city everyday.

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our area, the freeway on-ramps are very long, which should allow drivers adequate distance to reach freeway speed and merge easily with the flow of traffic. However, many drivers crawl along the on-ramp very slowly, backing up traffic behind them and making the merger more difficult.

This is something I struggle to understand.

2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

run100 wrote:

In our area, the freeway on-ramps are very long, which should allow drivers adequate distance to reach freeway speed and merge easily with the flow of traffic. However, many drivers crawl along the on-ramp very slowly, backing up traffic behind them and making the merger more difficult.

Maybe they are from Pennsylvania where the law says this:

(c) Duties at yield signs.--The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall in obedience to the sign slow down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions and, if required for safety to stop, shall stop before entering a crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering. After slowing down or stopping, the driver shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute a hazard during the time the driver is moving across or within the intersection of roadways. If a driver is involved in a collision with a vehicle in the intersection or junction of roadways after driving past a yield sign, the collision shall be deemed prima facie evidence of failure of the driver to yield the right-of-way.

(Dec. 21, 1998, P.L.1126, No.151, eff. 60 days)

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

run100 wrote:

(c) Duties at yield signs.--The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall in obedience to the sign slow down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions and, if required for safety to stop, shall stop before entering a crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering. After slowing down or stopping, the driver shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute a hazard during the time the driver is moving across or within the intersection of roadways. If a driver is involved in a collision with a vehicle in the intersection or junction of roadways after driving past a yield sign, the collision shall be deemed prima facie evidence of failure of the driver to yield the right-of-way.

This could be true at Yield signs, but there are very few Yield signs on interstate entrance ramps. No, mostly just stupid drivers.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drove from Bay St. Louis to Umatilla Fl today Used I10 and I75. A 9 hour drive. Seen 7 incidents that involved people that shouldn't use the freeways. I was lucky enough to be a witness each time thank God. The semis driving in the right lane were the victims. I did move over early on one occasion to provide an escape for one semi from a person texting while entering the freeway. I was rewarded when I moved back into the right lane be have a jacked up pickup cutting me off and avoiding a collision by inches. Yep they were out there today.

* This post was edited 11/18/19 08:20am by tomman58 *

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

run100 wrote:

This could be true at Yield signs, but there are very few Yield signs on interstate entrance ramps. No, mostly just stupid drivers.

Thanks for chiming in, fj12ryder. I'm thinking lynnmor misunderstood what I was describing.

Yes, freeway on-ramps are typically closed to any intersecting traffic and especially pedestrian cross-walks. In our area, it's not unusual for on-ramps to be 1/2-mile or more in length. Plenty of distance to get to freeway speed, but many drivers drag their butts and are barely hitting 45-mph by the time they should be merging into the flow of traffic.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Having a SENIOR moment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS