Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Campground Theft
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campground Theft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as long as they don't take your beer!

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hornet28 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Maybe you should do as granny on the Beverly Hillbillies and keep a shotgun loaded with rock salt. LOL [emoticon]

That'd be great, if you saw them

In most states that would also get you jailed. It is unlawful to use deadly force to protect property life and the lives of others is what deadly force is to be used for.

Finally Time

Western Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in a park with 50 amp only with my trailer. I guess a thief thought it was easier to steal my 30 to 50 adapter, rather than borrow one of the many the campground had available to loan out.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hornet28 wrote:

They were on when we got there or I would've noticed. Also after running close to 8000 mi with them on this year they didn't just fall off during a 60 mi trip.

I can't help you if you would have noticed or not, but crazily- my Ram dually lost 2 hubcab covers within a day or two of each other after 60-70,000 miles. Hadn't had the wheels off recently or hit anything or anything else that makes logical sense. Just poof, gone. I actually watched one jettison but we were towing and I wasn't stopping or going back around to find it.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I vaugely remember a number of small generators being reported stolen from Rvers over time,here. In some cases with them chained or cable locked to the Rv.
Coolers and beer, in state and county parks, especially ones with lots of people driving through, and worse on busy holiday weekends.One reason we avoid such RV parks. Use to be reports of lots of tailgates stolen especially ones on larger diesel pickups which cost an arm and two legs. Wheels and tires off campers, anything and everything off picnic tables, and strapped to ladders, and bikes,and...power cords which ain't cheap. Another reason to lock the cover on the pedestal over the cord, They'd be get the shock of their life cutting it near the RV other wise. Been rather few reports of campground thefts, here, for a while, though. But anything not welded on or guarded by pit bulls and a loaded shotgun has and will be stolen. Rvers with those generators or spare fuel in cans use to mix diesel and a variety of other things in decoy fuel cans, that seemed to dampen the number of thefts. I think I will find a different campground, if I have to stat bringing along armed security to guard the site.
Dreaming up way to foil,deter, catch, make them wish they hadn't tried, thieves at campgrounds and even our driveways use to be a favorite subject. Myself I favor C4 in chunks painted to look like rocks and triggered by trip wires, or I'm considering for a replacement for Dakota a black bear, If I can just figure out how make him more discriminating and if I can buy a trailer for the toed and housing for the bear. Maybe not.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

In most states that would also get you jailed. It is unlawful to use deadly force to protect property life and the lives of others is what deadly force is to be used for.

State law prevails. In some states, use of deadly force to protect "some" property is permitted.

You are correct, that even with rock salt, it's deadly force.

Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KNOCK ON WOOD - we have never had anyone mess with anything in the 25 years that we have been camping. We have been fortunate to not lock and put everything up before leaving either. We may lock the door just depending on where we are.

We did have a friend has a Yeti cooler stolen. It had a Gamecock sticker on it. He saw one a few days later in the campground and questioned the owner. He was told a friend gave it to him. He told him about his being stolen, and that he put a mark in a unique spot and asked if he could look. He opened the lid, and sure enough, it was his. Still even had some of his beer in it!

2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Jayco25E

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow I never knew stealing was so rampant around some campgrounds. I have never had an issue. Most campers we have been around are good people. Yes you have the occasional kid stuff. More pranks than being thieves but never had something disappear. Stealing is not funning except for the guy getting his sewer hose stolen while connected to his RV. That one is a little funny. LOL

2008 Chevy Avalanche
2005 Jayco 25E HTT
1 kid (but always end up with a full camper)
2 retired Greyhounds

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a bag on the picnic table disappear one evening. The outside of the bag stated, "Fresh Maine Lobsters".

I'll bet the perp had a big surprise after his taste-buds were watering for Maine lobsters, only to find the empty shells the lobsters had been wearing in the bag.

Oh well, crime did not pay in this instance!

Lakeside

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Thieves steal things that they can quickly convert to cash. A plastic bed rail doesn't fit that bill, Hubcaps maybe. Electronics, jewelry, generators, bicycles definitely.
They also steel things they need. My daughter once had her car ('93 Civic) broken into; they took the ashtray and the owners manual. Obviously they owned a Civic with a missing ash tray! My guess is that the OP's bed rail found a new home on the thief's truck.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campground Theft
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS