Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Replacing 12-volt batteries with 6-volt
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacing 12-volt batteries with 6-volt

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
hedgehopper

Denver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you replaced two 12-volt batteries in parallel with two 6-volt batteries in series to improve ampere hours? Were the results satisfactory? Please elaborate. Was the rewiring difficult?

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wire them in series like you said and you shouldn't have any problems. The 6v golf cart batteries are true "deep cycle" batteries and should work much better to power the inside of your RV.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hedgehopper wrote:

Have you replaced two 12-volt batteries in parallel with two 6-volt batteries in series to improve ampere hours? Were the results satisfactory? Please elaborate. Was the rewiring difficult?

It works very well, simply connect the two 6v batteries in series to simulate one big 12v battery...A short length of cable between the neg on one battery and the pos on the other will do the trick...

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup kinda and I hated it.
Had one 12 volt from the factory.
Added two 6 volt GC2 batteries to power my inverter. . They constantly needed water and could not handle the draw from my 2000 watt psw inverter.

Swapped the whole thing to 3 AGM 12 volt deep cycle batteries in parallel and couldn’t be happier. My solar charges them faster also.

Flapper

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rewiring, as noted, at it's most basic is very easy. Hardest part is adequately crimping terminals onto the bigger wire needed, but you can also find pre-made that will work. The rest depends on your rig - space to put them, finding an appropriate box (there are a few different ones - but the space you have may or may not allow them to fit), and figuring out adequate venting for them, may be a bit more of an effort. On my old fifth, it was all very easy. On my TT, a bit more of a challenge. While not the best equipment in the world, the converter your RV came with will charge them just fine. My fifth had an issue with blowing an in line fuse on the charging line if they became too depleted. Head mechanic at the dealer had me replace the fuse with an automatic resetting circuit breaker.

2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 03:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had two 6 volt on the TT for 10 years still going strong. Now have 4 6v on the fiver. If you want you batteries to last, never discharge them more than 50%. Buy a Trimteric or similar battery meter. I ue Trojans they are built for abuse and are trouble free. Yes they cost$$ but lets see $450/10+ years is $45/year. Thats when I sold it. Its my understanding from the owner that they are still going storng.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

Yup kinda and I hated it.
Had one 12 volt from the factory.
Added two 6 volt GC2 batteries to power my inverter. . They constantly needed water and could not handle the draw from my 2000 watt psw inverter.

Swapped the whole thing to 3 AGM 12 volt deep cycle batteries in parallel and couldn’t be happier. My solar charges them faster also.

Define "constantly needed water". I have 4 GC2s and add a small amount of water about every 2 months. I suspect something is overcharging your batteries. Right after I put the batteries in (4 years ago now), they needed water regularly. Found out that the solar panel the PO installed have no controller and there was 19 volts going to the new batteries.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Group 24 about 75 ah
Group 27/29 just shy/over 100 AH
Group 31 about 130 AH
And you can use at most 25 Percent before rapid aging is starts

GC-2 pair about 220 amp hours give or take a dozen and you can use half.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If planning on a large inverter 12 volt jars may be a better choice.

Conservation by going to led bulbs is a good plan.

Use what ever format will result in the greatest number of amp-hours.

Add a modest solar charging system, your batteries will love you for doing so.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally speaking this starts the debate regarding the possibility of one of the 6v batteries kicking the bucket and being hosed till you can replace both of them, which is a possibility. I have 4 each 6v batteries and like the set up a lot. I've read that the 12v's work better with large inverter draw and that would be something to consider. I really do like the idea of someday going to 4 each 6v AGM's. But that is several years and modifications down the road. Too many other things to work on now that cost money.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacing 12-volt batteries with 6-volt
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.