Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

100K miles

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

My 2001 Monaco knight turned 100k on our trip out west. I have owned it for a little over a year. I have had a few issues with it but seem to have them worked out. The RV preformed pretty well on our trip from Florida to Wyoming and back. It is a little under powered with only a 5.9 Cummins (300 HP). Big hills will slow it down, but I am never in that big a hurry. I considered selling it but we have everything pretty much the way we want it. Replacing it with a substantial upgrade would cost probable at least double what I have in this one. So we have decided to keep it for a while longer. We are planning another trip out west next summer.

My questions is for those who have older motorhomes with over 100k mile on them. Are you confident in your motor to go to 150-200k mileage? I know anything can happen at any time mechanically. I have read a lot of posts of people having major problems with RV that have a lot less mileage them mine.

How long will the little 5.9 go? I will probable keep it a few more years and maybe up to around 150K or so. My Ram had 155k on it when I sold it and it had no issues and probable still running strong. I know maintenance and upkeep is key to keeping any RV in good working order.

I look forward to hearing all your experiences.

Thanks, as always.
18 REPLIES 18

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
25 years here too. 198,500 miles on my 5.9 12 valve and still runs great.
I have a bypass oil filter and run the oil 15-16,000 every change and Blackstone says wear is low and I'm good to go 3,000 miles more each oil change.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Most mechanics and long time rv folks say my old 12 valve 5.9 Cummins with the Allison trans will out live the motorhome. 25 years so far.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
The 5.9 is based on the 12 Valve which has been around since 1983 I believe. It was designed to operate at 100% duty cycle all-day long in tractors and pumps. In trucks and highway vehicles you should get no less than 500,000 miles before major overhaul assuming all regular maintenance is done and the cooling system is maintained.

Your concern more should be aimed at the transmission and all the systems and seals of the motorhome. The engine, while underpowered for your application is good.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve owned 3 trucks with the 5.9. That coach will fall off of it before that engine gives up the ghost.

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
I've been under it more times than I would care to say. I replaced the rear air bags a while back. The front ones will be done soon. Everything looks good.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures in second post in this thread:

https://community.fmca.com/topic/569-important-safety-issue-monaco-hr-safari-chassis/
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Lurker52 wrote:
2001 did not use the same trailing arms Per Source Engineering. The bad one started in 2002

Thanks

Good news , Thanks
Obviously I didn't know that , actually I thought all the Knights
of that era were the same .
I would still scoot under with a strong flashlight and look them
over myself , make sure there was no cracks .
I believe at one time there was pictures on the IRV2 Monaco forum

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
oldave wrote:
100k just shows it was put together right , didn't blow up during
break in .

You probably know about the recall on the rear trailing arms for your
chassis .
Chances are the arms have already been replaced , so an alert just in
case .

The original Monaco is long gone so you will have to pay for it
yourself .
Source Engineering makes replacements .

Details of the trailing arm issue:

https://community.fmca.com/topic/570-serious-problem-some-monaco-holiday-rambler-safari-chassis/?tab...
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Meant to say I have 165,000 miles on my rig
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
2001 did not use the same trailing arms Per Source Engineering. The bad one started in 2002

Thanks

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
100k just shows it was put together right , didn't blow up during
break in .

You probably know about the recall on the rear trailing arms for your
chassis .
Chances are the arms have already been replaced , so an alert just in
case .

The original Monaco is long gone so you will have to pay for it
yourself .
Source Engineering makes replacements .

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
js218 wrote:
165,000 miles, just keep up with the maintenance.

Check the plaque on the side of the timing cover.
The 8.3 was in the 300-350 range.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins engines in semis regularly get a million miles. Regular maintainence is the key. Your coach will fall apart long before the engine.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
You are doing better than my friend that had $47000.00 of repairs in 28K miles on his tiffin. Not a normal but true for them.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110