cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How big is the market for Dinghy Towing?

Arizona_Slim
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, New member here.
I am trying to gage the size of the market for Dinghy Towing. RVIA does a good job of publishing sales figures for RV's and even breaks down between Towables and Motor Homes. However, it is hard to figure the percentage of Motor Home owners that Dinghy Tow.
Any ideas on market size would be helpful? Percentage? Units/year?
9 REPLIES 9

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, a lot of upgrades/replacements are going to be in the sales number, and I'd also be a bit skeptical about the 90% floated earlier.

If you look at full-timers, it's going to be that high, but your novice owners (i.e. those who make the mistake of buying a Class C only to use it twice a year) probably aren't going to be investing in towing gear, and I suspect they make up a fairly big number.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
G-Dad wrote:
Apparently not big enough that the auto manufacturers are concerned about capturing those sales. Seems that the list of vehicles that are flat towable gets smaller each year.
For an auto manufacturer, it would be an insignificant number. First, people have different needs in their toweds, so that would fragment the market into many even smaller pieces. Some people would want a people carrier, some would want off road capabilities, some would want something sporty, some just want economy. Personally, I tow a pickup with an ATV in the bed. On top of the market fragmentation, many people don't want to tow and abuse a new car, so they buy used. I don't believe many manufacturers actually build vehicles with a concern that the second or third owner may need to significantly change the usage the vehicle was actually built for. Then don't forget that some of those new sales are replacements for existing RVs by people who already have a towed. Finally, as previously mentioned, there are other methods of towing vehicles besides flat towing.
Can't see any way the dinghy market is anything a manufacturer would concern themselves with.

G-Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently not big enough that the auto manufacturers are concerned about capturing those sales. Seems that the list of vehicles that are flat towable gets smaller each year.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Probably somewhere in the mid 90% range of motorhomes have a toad...Particularly as you get above 25ft.

I do believe that is pretty close.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Probably somewhere in the mid 90% range of motorhomes have a toad...Particularly as you get above 25ft.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like someone wants some free market research to me...

Go visit a campground and take notes.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
New member first post - no name in the profile - what are your trolling
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Arizona_Slim
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, @wildtoad for a quick reply.
If RVIA says there were 60,000 motorhomes sold last year, my question is, How many of those will Dinghy Tow?
My concern is for flat towing, but I imagine there are a number who currently tow a dolly or a trailer that might flat tow if it were more convenient so let's include them too.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why are you asking this? Is your question only those that tow four down or do you include that tow with a tow dolly or trailer their car?

I think the market is quite high in relation to those that use motorhomes, quite small when compared to the car industry as a whole.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT