cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre trip routines

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Besides the obvious like everything you do for hooking up, hitching and final checks on the truck and trailer. What other things are on your must do (non negotiable) list before you leave on a trip. Mine are:

Wash all windows in the truck (visibility is key when towing)

Wash truck and camper. I hate traveling in a dirty vehicle

Have a full water bottle for me and the wife and kids

Pack everything the night/day before. Leave the travel day for last minute items

Vacuum the house, run disheasher. Then I don't have to do it when I get back.
13 REPLIES 13

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Truck is gassed and all tires checked at least the day before departure.
Load the truck w/ whatever is needed for this particular trip the day before leaving. I have a checklist for this.
Load camper with supplies. Another checklist.
If taking a boat, there is a boat checklist.
Finally, there is a checklist we go over in the truck before driving off.
I have all the checklists on the computer desktop so they are easy to find, edit and print out. Then they join the reservations on a clip board.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
Dutchman, that is a handsome cat. How much bigger is he compared to those doglike creatures? 😉

You joke but I've now owned two 18-19 pounds cats that can eat off the ~36" high counter top in the kitchen with their rear paws on the floor, significantly bigger than a lot of not-dogs I see these days 😃
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I check my tire air pressure on both trailer and suv (or motorhome) the day before.

I fuel up the day before when taking the trailer - like afidel, I'd rather not fuel up with the trailer attached.

Everything gets loaded the day before. I do the trip grocery shopping the day before.

I put a stop on my mail.

I also make sure I have at least one week's worth of meds (for me and Moose-dog) beyond the trip's needs. That allows us the ability to extend our trip. And the meds go in a lock box that helps block odors so Bat-dog doesn't find and eat Moose-dog's pain med.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Before we leave I fuel up my truck.
I put my 'Slinky Box' in the bed of the truck.
I put my 6x6 jack stands in the bed of the truck.
I put more White Lithium on the Ball and inside the hitch.
I hook up. Check the safety chains, and electrical connections.
I check the air pressure in my truck, and on my camper.
I check inside the camper to make sure everything is where it should be.
I lock my camper, and all hatches.
When my wife is in the truck, I make sure none of the Cats are under the truck or my camper, then we pull out of my yard.

I pretty much do each of these things every time.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutchman, that is a handsome cat. How much bigger is he compared to those doglike creatures? 😉
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I check most fluid except trans and axle before heading out and then just engine oil at each fuel stop. Other than that I make absolutely sure I have a socket that fits the truck wheels and the trailer wheels, 6" extension and 1/2" breaker bar.

When hitching trailer I double check everything and then do a walk around looking at each door lock and jack making sure they are locked and Up. Then roof vents closed, awning in UP position and arms strapped closed. Steps up and Door locked. Sewer cap on and valves closed.

I only check air pressures first thing in the morning and don't fret if it's down a pound from all the previous mornings checks.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have the truck and camper ready to go the night before. I get up shut off the water and water heater, adjust the thermostat, lock the doors, load the dogs and head out. The RV stays loaded with everything but food, and the dogs food.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have a "doggie bag" in each of our vehicles. "Doggie bag" is a baby diaper bag and all the contents are for the dogs and cat. We keep it stocked with extra water for the dogs, and collapsable dog bowls. Paper towels, extra poopie-bags, extra dog leashes (short ones, not retractable and retractable). Cleaning solution for carpet seats / windex too. Doggie treats, trash bags, air freshener, childrens tylenol, pepto-bismal, and clorox wipes, and a baby syrenge for injecting any medicines into the dogs mouth.

We check the bag and restock it every time before hitting the road.

After all, these guys are worth it!

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we had a flat on trailer last year, I added "check air pressure in spare tires" to my pre trip checklist. Our spare was fine, but not because I remembered to check it..

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
When hooking up trailer and connecting lights, chains, tongue lock, etc...if anyone talks to you while doing this, recheck everything again after they have left:)

Wifey keeps on nagging me to do a check-list.

Dragged my jack once -- and still I have not done a check list, lol.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When hooking up trailer and connecting lights, chains, tongue lock, etc...if anyone talks to you while doing this, recheck everything again after they have left:)
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you also checked the safety essentials:

Check brake fluid level -- and all other fluids.

Tighten tire lugs of both towing vehicle and trailer to prescribed torque.

Check and see that air on all tires, again TW and TT, are on the recommended pressure.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fuel the truck before hitching, I hate to fuel up when I'm hitched up if it can at all be avoided.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH