Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Lightning Protection
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Safety Issues & Recalls

> Lightning Protection

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as the aluminum box around you, yes, it will protect you, personally just fine. This includes EMF, which a faraday cage blocks well.
Countless cars and airplanes are struck every day and the occupants suffer no harm.
We ran thousands of tests in aviation.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told to put my stablilizers on wood or lynx levelers so the stabilizers are not in direct contact with the ground. A motorhome recently burned up in a campground and it was mentioned the lightning hit the levelers. They were directly on the ground.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

I was told to put my stablilizers on wood or lynx levelers so the stabilizers are not in direct contact with the ground. A motorhome recently burned up in a campground and it was mentioned the lightning hit the levelers. They were directly on the ground.

Wont make any difference at all. As was stated before, lightening jumps for miles so jumping across or through a piece plywood would be no challenge for it. In fact, having a clean path may prevent some damage.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first thing I did when we bought the RV was to make sure all electrical 120-VAC items were actually grounded to the incoming line and to the chasis the green wire, also made sure that all electronics were also properlly grounded, then I grounded the ladder to the chasis since it was not in contact with any metal from the chasis, then I bought a grounding strap that was installd on a bolt on the differential, I found that this really worked when we were in Colorado at the Escalante National Monumet, yes a lightning bolt hit the ladder and travelled down to ground though the chasis and the strap, the flash was blinding it shook the RV and the boom was good enough that we had to peel the cat from the ceiling with the fur standing on end, we were playing dominos and the wife spilt them all over I made some more tea for her to calm her down.

navegator

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was new 2LT from California at Ft. Bending in Georgia and a lightening storm was forecast, I asked “what do we do” of my fellow IOBC officers. The response was unanimous!

Go to the nearest bar. Aluminum be damned!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a direct strike...after (if?) your hearing comes back, you will be just fine. The Faraday cage effect will work.

The RV will be a total loss.

Most hits are secondary...usually coming through the power cord. Unless you are touching a conductor, not much risk but potential for lots of odd damage to the RV.

Really nothing much different from being in a house in terms of safety (though a house won't create much of a Faraday effect).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked on an Airstream that had been struck by lightning- owner was lying on the couch watching tv.
Melted the body panel it struck, guy had a heart attack. Did fix the trailer, but only for permanent stay- the whole thing was pretty wracked.

-- Chris Bryant

desert_sasquatch

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Safety Issues & Recalls

> Lightning Protection
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.