Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New, Easier Pet Importation Regulations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> New, Easier Pet Importation Regulations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These new regulations went into affect October 17, 2019

For years, bringing your pets along with you on vacation to Mexico meant gathering a bunch of paperwork like health certificates, vaccination records and proof that your furry friend was treated for parasites within the last six months. Fortunately, many of those requirements were eliminated earlier this year for pets originating from ether the United States or Canada.

The procedures discussed in this post only apply to dogs and cats.

The government agency in Mexico tasked with overseeing the importation of animals is el Servicio Nacional de Sanidad, Inocuidad, Calidad Agroalimentaria (SENASICA).

You are no longer required to bring a health certificate, rabies vaccination record or proof of treatment for parasites.

Upon entering Mexico, you must report to la Oficina de Inspección de Sanidad Agropecuaria (OISA) where your pet will be visually examined by an employee of SENASICA to determine if your pet has any open or healing wounds, rashes, external parasites or infectious diseases. If a problem is detected, you’ll will be required to contact a veterinarian of your choice to have the animal evaluated/treated at your expense.

If ticks are found during the inspection, they will be collected and sent to the lab for analysis to determine if they are an invasive species. The animal will be kept at the examination center until the results come back. Any analysis or tests will be at your expense.

If your pet is being treated for lesions and/or infections of the skin like mange, dermatomicosis, dermatofilosis, alopecia or similar condition, you should present SENASICA with a letter from a licensed veterinarian with the diagnosis and treatment. The letter should be on official letterhead with the license number, or equivalent, of the veterinarian.

If the pet’s transport carrier is dirty and/or has disposable bedding (diaper, newspaper, sawdust, rags) toys or food, it will be disinfected and those items will be removed and destroyed.

You are only permitted to bring enough pet food for the day of arrival.

NOTE: All of the information in the article was verified by employees of SENASICA.

Whether or not your pet will actually be inspected in accordance with these procedures will depend a lot on how you enter the country. If you drive across the border, it’s unlikely that any officials will even ask you about your pet; however if you fly in, you can rest assured that SENASICA will be giving Lil’ Fluffy the once over.

Speaking of flying, keep in mind that the airline may require additional documentation such as a health certificate (some do and some don’t). Always do your homework.

Whenever procedure changes at the federal level in Mexico, it seems to take a very long time for the information to reach the line-level folks. That’s why it helps to bring the applicable law, rule of procedure with you. You can print the requirements for the importation of any animal from any country using the SENASICA portal: https://sistemasssl.senasica.gob.mx/mcrz/moduloConsulta.jsf

Thanks to Two Expats Mexico for this information!

* This post was last edited 11/04/19 06:42pm by Talleyho69 *   View edit history

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to know. TY.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a crock of you know what. Would you leave your pet at some border station? This is worse that the old regs. Just another reason for tourists to go elsewhere. If I were a regular tourist going on vacation and was subjected to this BS I would just turn around and never come back. Neither Canada nor the USA do anything like this. These regs are coming from a country with probably a few hundred thousand wild dogs with rabies and very other animal illness that exists.Why don't they just close the border!!! talleyho: You are trying to make out like this is an improvement. How about supporting RV'rs not the country of Mexico!

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally think that this is an improvement.

Instead of having to schedule your arrival at the border with the non expired paperwork, all you have to do, if questioned, is show that your pet is healthy and happy.

Isn't that what we want all of our pets to be? If there is an issue, all you need is proof that the "problem" is being dealt with.

Why would you be traveling with a pet with ticks? This is listed as the only reason you pet would be held.

I still think that is a huge improvement for anyone entering Mexico, including those in RV's

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been travelling every year to Mexico for years and while we have always got the health certicates for our dogs, we have never been asked for them. We have never actually been stopped for anything going into Mexico...just get waived through. So this sound likes a huge improvement.

I'm always sorry to hear from the naysayers that have never gone to Mexico. It is a wonderful country and my wife and I always look forward to the trip where people actually want to see us, go out of their way to help us, and are always so much more friendly than our local peoples.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talleyho69 wrote:

I personally think that this is an improvement.

Instead of having to schedule your arrival at the border with the non expired paperwork, all you have to do, if questioned, is show that your pet is healthy and happy.

Isn't that what we want all of our pets to be? If there is an issue, all you need is proof that the "problem" is being dealt with.

Why would you be traveling with a pet with ticks? This is listed as the only reason you pet would be held.

I still think that is a huge improvement for anyone entering Mexico, including those in RV's

I think the issue is now the pet's entry is based on a subjective "your dog looks healthy" versus proveable documentation.

I always have my pets' rabies certificate as well as their other shot records with me when traveling. You never know when it might be needed.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So true. Besides, you need the rabies certificate for your return to the US

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always have our papers and maybe once in over 25 years have had to show them. Don't know what will happen with the new rules It seems every year they come up with some new requirement. For the last 2 or 3 years it has been one ton or 3/4 ton trucks. Now it is your pets. Mexico is a sovereign nation and can make it's own rules. But they should be more like the pet rules for Canada and the USA. Have you ever heard of an Ameican pet spreading rabies??

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, yes, there was a case of a cat with rabies in California in the last 30+ years, and it spread. Cats don't need rabies shots in the US, go figure.

Finally met up with friends that flew into Zihuatanejo on Saturday with their locally adopted labish dog. They were ready and used to the drill with health certificate in hand that said all the right things. The regular guy said, "Doesn't she look great! Welcome back." Their first question this morning was if the pet regulations had changed.

We are rapidly spreading the word.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wondered about requirements for rabies shots in cats. Here is the state breakdown: https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateAndLocal/Pages/rabies-vaccination.aspx

In the past, I have not bothered with rabies shots for the cats because they were always indoors only and never left the house. But The Cat and The Cat in Training will both be kept up to date as they are camping cats.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> New, Easier Pet Importation Regulations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS