cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck bed liner on roof

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Some one has mentioned to me use of the truck bed liner on the roof. Is that a good idea? What are possible problems?
18 REPLIES 18

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
two travelers wrote:
Some one has mentioned to me use of the truck bed liner on the roof. Is that a good idea? What are possible problems?

You can use it but unless you have a metal roof, you'll need some type of compatible primer/bonder on the wood or fiberglass otherwise it will separate and ultimately fail. You can't apply it over a membrane roof as it will fail. The biggest problem is weight and adhesion.

Well,
Yeah, things CAN fail, if the prep is done improperly. I witnessed the prep work done on some of the coaches for this spray on roof coating. NO, THEY DO NOT PUT IT OVER RUBBER ROOFS, GEEZE! Any rubber roof is torn off and, any and all potentially bad substrate, such as plywood or luan is removed and replaced. All vents, A/C units and the like, are removed.

They will wrap that spray on liner right over the roof radius to a given point that, is either mutually agreed with the owner or, what the facility recommends. Hense, that's why they call it a ONE PIECE roof.
And yes, it is also put on ALUMINUM roofs too. When I was there, getting work done on our coach, there were several higher end coaches, lined up, in prep for getting that spray on roof. At that time, around 6-7 years ago, it was not all that bad in price. A 36' coach would cost around $3,500 or so. I have no idea what it costs now. I do know that, if we needed a roof and we really, really liked our coach, I'd opt for that spray on roof in a heartbeat.
Scott

So you're going to say that it won't crack where 2 pieces of plywood come together? The roof will flex and that seam will crack! Truck bedliner is made for the beds of trucks!

If "that seam will crack" would happen, you'd have hundreds of thousands of seams on RVs cracking all over the U.S. Obviously you've not seen one up close and or, watched it being applied. I have seen them up close after years of use and, not ONE CRACK has ever developed. Besides, while it (the spray on coating) is some ultra tough stuff, it does have some flexibility.

Pickup beds flex TOO!! Yet, I've never, ever seen any cracking of ANY SPRAY ON BED LINER! If one chooses not to have it done, fine, it's their coach. I'm not selling the stuff. I've just seen it used and as I stated before, it's lifetime guaranteed and is tougher than nails.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, this version of the material is specifically made for RV roofs.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
two travelers wrote:

You can use it but unless you have a metal roof, you'll need some type of compatible primer/bonder on the wood or fiberglass otherwise it will separate and ultimately fail. You can't apply it over a membrane roof as it will fail. The biggest problem is weight and adhesion.

Well,
Yeah, things CAN fail, if the prep is done improperly. I witnessed the prep work done on some of the coaches for this spray on roof coating. NO, THEY DO NOT PUT IT OVER RUBBER ROOFS, GEEZE! Any rubber roof is torn off and, any and all potentially bad substrate, such as plywood or luan is removed and replaced. All vents, A/C units and the like, are removed.

They will wrap that spray on liner right over the roof radius to a given point that, is either mutually agreed with the owner or, what the facility recommends. Hense, that's why they call it a ONE PIECE roof.
And yes, it is also put on ALUMINUM roofs too. When I was there, getting work done on our coach, there were several higher end coaches, lined up, in prep for getting that spray on roof. At that time, around 6-7 years ago, it was not all that bad in price. A 36' coach would cost around $3,500 or so. I have no idea what it costs now. I do know that, if we needed a roof and we really, really liked our coach, I'd opt for that spray on roof in a heartbeat.
Scott

So you're going to say that it won't crack where 2 pieces of plywood come together? The roof will flex and that seam will crack! Truck bedliner is made for the beds of trucks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
two travelers wrote:

Well,

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
two travelers wrote:

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
Excel (Peterson Industries) built fifth wheel trailers and a short time before they went out of business they offered the Rhino Eco-Coat spray on liner for the roofs. It didn't work out well for them and they had warranty issues and spent thousands bringing the trailers back to the factory and redoing the roofs.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
One might consider "Al's bedLiner", It can be sprayed on if you would want to do it yourself.
Probably 5 kits and white dye would cost around $500 at Amazon. There are other bedliners that can be used also.
I did the front of the old motorhome with Al's liner and it came out really good and is a dark blue that has not faded in 10 years that it has been on.
It's your money...
Skip H.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Without a doubt, it, BY FAR, is the best roof an RV could ever have. It's not "flimsy", it's not gonna "catch bridges".
Scott

I believe Terryallan is referring to the one piece plastic truck bed liner inserts rather than the spray on roof coatings.

Yeah I did. When some one says bed liner. I think of the drop in bed liners. Around here the roll on are called exactly that. Roll on. or spray on bed protector. So. I'm guilty of misunderstanding. sorry.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at putting this over a rubber or membrane roof I would think flexibility would be an issue. If your roof flexes as you walk on it now, would the new coating flex also, or would it crack?

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
WHY NOT?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:
Why would someone want to put bed liner on their roof? Its black so it would absorbe a lot of heat and it isn't made as a water proofing. If someone spent a lot of time on the roof, it would be pretty slip resistant but there are a lot of better products to coat a roof with.

Yes can be had in any color including white.
However I agree, why use it on the roof.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Without a doubt, it, BY FAR, is the best roof an RV could ever have. It's not "flimsy", it's not gonna "catch bridges".
Scott

I believe Terryallan is referring to the one piece plastic truck bed liner inserts rather than the spray on roof coatings.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
two travelers wrote:

two travelers,
Since many are clueless that this system exists, here's a link:

http://www.sandiegorvcenter.com/rhino.php

I witnessed this system being applied. Without a doubt, it, BY FAR, is the best roof an RV could ever have. It's not "flimsy", it's not gonna "catch bridges". It's approximately 3/16" of an inch thick. It reduces noise immensely. It also reduces air conditioning requirements due to the fact that it reflects a considerable more amount of the suns heat than a regular RV roof, no matter what kind, does. It's LIFE TIME WARRANTIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's also PHENOMENALLY TOUGH! Tree branches are no match for it. Not that all that many people attempt to rub up against tree branches on purpose but, none the less, it happens and, you're not gonna hurt this stuff, no matter how hard you try. It comes in colors too, at a bit more of a cost. It essentially IS a sprayed on truck bed liner only adjusted and adapted to work on an RV roof. Take a look at the video.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I read an article where an individual put the bed liner material on the roof and over the radius of the side down to the awning rail. It was to go on the area where the clear coat had deteriorated. He bought a kit with truck bed liner material, the material was made specifically to roll on and came in a variety of colors to closely match the color of the coach. The kit included thinner, and rollers to use. It included literally everything needed to apply it along with instructions not to use any other.. it specified two coats , the second applied shortly after the first.. the picture he included looked pretty good. He did it because his coach was about ten years old, he didnโ€™t want to spend the money to have it done professionally. Looked like a great idea to me. My coach has had the clear coat redone and it needs to be done again. I donโ€™t have the info on the supplier as I write this but am very tempted to try it.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler