cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install cassette toilet, use black tank for grey water??

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I almost never come close to filling my black tank, but I almost always fill the grey tank when boondocking.

I’m thinking about replacing the toilet with a cassette unit and using the black tank for more grey water.

Anyone do this?

Good idea?
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
11 REPLIES 11

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
walmart has portable toilets for around $40 dollars. I used one in my enclosed cargo trailer and had no issues with odor. I did get awfully tired of constantly emptying it. Have since upgraded to a cassette toilet but it certainly is not portable but can go 5 - 6 days between dumps compared to daily with the portable.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, friends of mine dump grey through a standard garden hose with the adapter you speak of.

I need to research porta potties and cassette toilets
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always called a cassette toilet one where the bowl and stuff where built in and a small black was removable. If you want to move the whole toilet to another vehicle, you want a pota-potty.
You dump grey in the bushes? Why not just use one of the caps that connects in place of the stinky slinky, and has a hose bib?

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks...that is the feedback I was looking for.

Now I need to decide on what cassette toilet to buy.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
All of those solutions would work.....but not the way I want. Dumping the grey water is never an issue as most places I stay allow grey water to be dumped on the ground or in the woods.

I rarely use the camper at campgrounds. Mostly at Cowboy Action events, motorcycle events or other events.

I can not mix grey and black and then dump on the ground. So I will still need to find a dump station.

The cassette toilet lets me dump onto a ports potty or gas station bathroom. Convenient.

And. I can use the cassette toilet on my boat and when I’m using my rooftop tent.

My main concern is how well a cassette toilet works in an RV...Oder? Ease of use? Etc...

We've used a cassette toilet for over a year. Smell has not been an issue in the rig.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
5 pages of 'cassette' search are available.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No reason to not use the black tank for grey water--but I would still dump it at a sewer for a long time before I dumped on the ground.

Some folks have installed pumps to transfer grey to black--or even to flush the toilet.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
All of those solutions would work.....but not the way I want. Dumping the grey water is never an issue as most places I stay allow grey water to be dumped on the ground or in the woods.

I rarely use the camper at campgrounds. Mostly at Cowboy Action events, motorcycle events or other events.

I can not mix grey and black and then dump on the ground. So I will still need to find a dump station.

The cassette toilet lets me dump onto a ports potty or gas station bathroom. Convenient.

And. I can use the cassette toilet on my boat and when I’m using my rooftop tent.

My main concern is how well a cassette toilet works in an RV...Oder? Ease of use? Etc...
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is my very low-tech solution -- when the gray tank is nearly full (after five days of camping), we fill an ordinary bucket (not too full!!) with gray water and then carefully carry it into the bathroom and dump it down the toilet.

Since our black tank has way too much capacity (25 gal, same as the gray tank), we "borrow" the capacity of the black tank.

This method is tedious and slow -- the bucket only holds two gallons without risk of spilling. And it has to be done carefully -- don't want gray water on the floor of the bathroom!

But the advantage is that this method works without any modification of the plumbing.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
no need to add a cassette toilet to do this. If your tanks have a common outlet (very common), get a twist on gate valve. Then do the following

When the grey tank is full:
1) attach the gate valve to the dump valve, CLOSE THE GATE VALVE.
2) Open the grey tank valve, then open the black tank valve.

This will backflush grey water to the black tank and equalize the volumes.

3) once the tanks equalize, CLOSE both the grey and black tank valves.

you can continue to do this till both tanks are full.

4) when ready to leave, make sure both the grey and black tank valves are closed and using a small bucket at the twist on valve, open this valve to flush the gallon or so of water in the dump line and dispose of it.

5) remove the twist on gate valve.

I've done this for years. And actually I also do this when I dump easy way to backflush the black tank at a dump station.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Dad had me add a extra line and a couple of valves to his grey tank. Open one valve, and the top forth of grey tank could drain into the stinky slinky. Close that, open another, and the top could drain thru a hose apron. Mostly he used it so he had plenty to chase the black, but sometimes would catch a bucket full and put it in the black.
Without a sewer hookup, he would do dishes in a pan, and MT the pan in the toilet.