cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our First “BAD” Winter Experience

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve lived in a 5er for two Wyoming winters, and have done a lot of winter boondocking, our coldest boondocking a -22 F.....with minimal to no problems. Until a week or so ago.

We were in an RV park (full hook-ups).....thank goodness for the power cord. A little winter front came through, with wind gusting to over 35 mph and -10 F (not wind chill). We’ve had this camper for 6 years, with many winter trips, but had never parked with the refrigerator vents facing into the wind!

The front came in at about 01:00 hrs. ....and then we found we had issues. The heater could not keep up.....49 in the living area. Standing approximately 18” in front of the refrigerator, you could feel very cold air blowing into the camper. I ended up placing garbage bags over the outside refrigerator vents to help stop the air flow, which helped a good bit.

Once home I started a close inspection of the refrigerator area. It was then I discovered that there was no insulation or wind-stop between the outer refrigerator sides and the refrigerator cabinet (housing). It was pretty obvious that the refrigerator was at one time removed, prior to our purchase....and there was nothing installed around the refrigerator, for a wind- break or insulation. There was easily a 1/2” gap, all the way around the refrigerator.

After this finding, I stuffed (a bunch) of fiberglass insulation into this gap. I realize that compressed fiberglass is not great insulation but is a darn good wind-break!

We will soon be testing my handiwork! Of course, until we get a hard, cold wind directly on the refrigerator side....we still won’t be certain of the “fix”!

I share this, not only to “vent” a little, but if someone experiences unusual cold air flow into their camper....this may be something to look at! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
6 REPLIES 6

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You are attacking it in the wrong place. The refrigerator has a weatherstripping type seal where the face contacts the cabinetry.

You will need to pull the refrigerator partially out so you can replace that seal and then push back into place.

Air leaking is inconsequential compared to the fumes it will leak when the refrigerator is operating on gas or there is some other source of fumes nearby like a generator. That is a hazard.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
THere should be ZERO clearnace between sides/top/bottom of RV Fridge when PROPERLY installed (as per Fridge MFG installtion specs) which few RV MFGs follow.
Then toss in a 'handi-man' repair and you end up with NOT even close......

Goggle your Brand/Model for 'Installation Manual' ....then one day you should yank it back out and install if correctly.

There should NOT be any way for outside to come in around the fridge when done right....not just for cold/hot days but also to prevent CO posioning from bad fridge flame

Thanks Old Biscuit, We found an installation manual, that said the same....zero clearance. We were far from zero, I think we’re much better, maybe not perfect....but, much better! I hope! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
THere should be ZERO clearnace between sides/top/bottom of RV Fridge when PROPERLY installed (as per Fridge MFG installtion specs) which few RV MFGs follow.
Then toss in a 'handi-man' repair and you end up with NOT even close......

Goggle your Brand/Model for 'Installation Manual' ....then one day you should yank it back out and install if correctly.

There should NOT be any way for outside to come in around the fridge when done right....not just for cold/hot days but also to prevent CO posioning from bad fridge flame
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Fiberglass batt by itself is a terrible wind barrier. Some sort of rubber bulb seal would work much better.

I concur! However, it’s compressed .....a lot! :B The compressed depth is probably 4 to 6 inches in depth, there’s a lot stuffed into that little narrow gap! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Fiberglass batt by itself is a terrible wind barrier. Some sort of rubber bulb seal would work much better.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb,
You are worth listening to because you live in Wyo.
Go Pokes.