cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh water tank under camper-Camping in colder weather.

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a,

Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS

The fresh water tank is under the camper. I've read the entire manual online and watched a lot of the winterizing videos, but I don't see anything mentioned about this tank, and I didn't see an obvious way to drain it either.

Question, if at night the temp gets below freezing and there is water in this tank, but not full, will it damage it?

Are there heater kits that can be bought to allow using this tank if electricity is available?

Would it be possible to add a smaller tank somewhere inside the camper, there would be room under one of the seats or under the bed and put in a valve to use this tank instead during colder weather? I'd gladly give up a little bit of storage space for this.

Thanks for any input you have.
13 REPLIES 13

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a former rental class C in 2008. Our first trip was early in the spring when we headed south toward Jasper. Of course it snowed and got cold so we could learn by experience. Highway 40 got tough due to quite a bit of snow so we stopped at a rest stop/campsite high in the foothills for the night.
We enjoyed our nice warm camper, really comfortable compared to popup tent trailers. I remember it was -10 C, 15F and the plastic drain tap on the freshwater tank froze up so I couldn’t turn it. I put a warm mitt over it and the tap turned easily in the morning. No other signs of freezing.

It was lucky that happened so we learned that we were okay down to -10. I carried a jug of RV antifreeze on trips that might be colder.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously, you never drain the fresh water tank. I assure you there is a lever or valve somewhere to drain it. It would be dangerous to leave water in the tank indefinitely I would think; bacteria, etc. eventually. I drain mine after any use unless I'm going back out within a week or so. Re check the manual. Am I missing something?
If a water tank is full, it would take a long long time of really cold weather to freeze it but not the case with water in the lines.
Jayco-noslide

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Must be a low point drain somewhere however when all else fails turn a tap on & pump it out then dump holding tank.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

I'm not planning on doing anything in really cold weather. Maybe mid 20s at night, and above freezing during the day.

We were planning on doing a trip this weekend into next week, but we are forcasted one of the days to have a hi for 31 and a low of 17, just a bit too cold for the whole family.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous Class C had exposed black/gray tanks and low-point drain valves and the freshwater compartment wasn't heated, so when it was sub-freezing, we simply used a jug of water for teeth-brushing and coffee-making; and flushed the toilet using antifreeze. (Showers were taken using the campground's facilities) Anything that went down the kitchen drain got followed by a splash of antifreeze. Works sufficiently well until you get to warmer temps and better than worrying about cracked pipes/fittings.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have never had an RV that didn't have a drain valve for the fresh water tank.

If the tank is exposed under the trailer, there could be just a plug in a corner of the tank that needs to be removed to drain it.

On my new 2019 Forest River 2511S it has an enclosed bottom, so no tanks are exposed, but there is a simple drain valve on it that you have to reach under the side on to get to it. It also has electric 'tank heaters' on it. Not sure if it includes the fresh water tank, but I think it does.. I really won't have any need for it, as I drain my tanks and don't camp in freezing weather... 🙂

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
While in use you are generally fine down to about 25F. Maybe lower. If the tank is less than full a little freezing will cause no harm.

Yes an RV tank heater will work great and will take you below zero when properly equipped.

Otherwise just carry some jugs of water to flush, clean and cook.

Although there is plenty of other fresh and waste water pipes to be concerned about too.

www.ultraheat.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Define colder weather. Below freezing at night and above freezing during the day, the tank isn't going to freeze up.
Can't speak for the rest of the camper below freezing.
If there's not a low point drain, pumping our as much water as you can will be ok as long as it doesn't leave, Idk, more than 1/2" of water giver take.
If you do need to add heat, I'm sure there are heating pads you can stick to it but they need constant power.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Pat wrote:
Check with member "profundent" (the spelling is not correct).
Hopefully, someone will have the correct spelling.
I think he will have a solution for you.
Good luck!
Pat

I found him. Send him a pm and ask.
profdant139

Here is his link.
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
There must be some way to drain the tank; at the worst, and very unlikely, you could drain it pretty well by pumping all the water out with the pump. However, there almost certainly is a valve or cap somewhere to gravity drain it.

As others have said, without substantial modifications, you're unlikely to be able to use the plumbing on your trailer in sub-freezing temperatures. It's unlikely that a little water in the tank would cause the tank to burst (it has room to expand, and the tanks are usually somewhat flexible), but water in exposed plumbing fittings very likely could cause them to burst. (PEX tubing itself is generally flexible enough to withstand freezing water without bursting.)

starhunt
Explorer
Explorer
I would not recommend you to buy heater kits as it won't solve the problem...that won't heat the pipes under.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
The problem you will face is that you do not have an "all-season" camper. The water tank is just the tip of the iceberg. Campers made for cold weather camping have ALL plumbing up inside the "conditioned space". Just adding a heater to your tank ignores the fact that much of your water piping likely runs under the trailer hidden by whatever undercarriage covering you have. Either avoid camping in freezing weather or do like many who winterize the RV's plumbing and use the campground facilities.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Check with member "profundent" (the spelling is not correct).
Hopefully, someone will have the correct spelling.
I think he will have a solution for you.
Good luck!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315