cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

furnace while driving

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
One quick question, how many of you run your furnace while towing in cold weather? Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
pinesman wrote:
Thanks everyone. I think I will probably stop about 30 minutes before my destination Friday and start the furnace to knock off the chill before I get there.
This is what I do if towing below 35F. But only if safe and convenient.

My slide only covers one vent 50% and even then I might wedge something under the flap of carpet so it can breathe. Other four vents are always clear.

brialin
Explorer
Explorer
When my slides are in two out of three vents are almost completely blocked off by the slides. I will not turn on the heat unless all the vents are open 100%.

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
What about running the furnace with the slides in. I ask because if I am stored at home in the winter, I would rather have the slides in if freezing rain or snow, and keep the water lines from freezing. It only usually freezes at night here where I live.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

Itโ€™s not what youโ€™ve done that commands respect, itโ€™s what you do.

Happy Campinโ€™

TxGearhead wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
For OUR RV, we don't need to do that, it will heat up very fast.. Usually by the time I am done setting things up and scanning the TV, we are getting warmer....

We just turn on the LP heat AND the electric fireplace..all is good !

What are the odds you're at the sprint car national finals in Charlotte?
They got qualifying in before the rain!

Nope, the Redwood was dropped at the dealer yesterday for a small list of warranty items to complete. Been making a list since we got it in May..

The last thing being done is the pink stuff will be added ๐Ÿ˜ž
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Actually it is the Va Tech game

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
For OUR RV, we don't need to do that, it will heat up very fast.. Usually by the time I am done setting things up and scanning the TV, we are getting warmer....

What are the odds you're at the sprint car national finals in Charlotte?
They got qualifying in before the rain!
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
WE have done it on several occasions while traveling in COLD temps.

Enclosed underbelly stayed warm...water lines stayed warm & inside of 5vr was warm while setting up.

No harm/no foul---all good!

Hot summer time...we run A/C Unit while traveling
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I have. I did fire it up once at a rest stop when it was very cold. Seems safer not to but not sure why except to avoid pulling up close while refueling. We do always leave our frig on running on propane so guess that would be the same risk.
Jayco-noslide

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't see an advantage to running our furnace in route as the living area vents are covered by the slides. This could effect the furnace due to limited air flow. We start the furnace as soon as the slides are out and if it is very cold I run an electric heater to get the temperature up quickly.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Don't forget that the furnace also heats the belly of most recent RV models, so you could run the risk of freezing your pipes and tanks. That's assuming, of course, that your rig isn't winterized.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I think I will probably stop about 30 minutes before my destination Friday and start the furnace to knock off the chill before I get there.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see the point. We have been in some frezzing weather while driving but nothing froze inside the trailer.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Living in the south, I'd never thought of that, but I had thought it'd be nice to be able to run the AC while traveling. It takes for ever to cool off the camper and especially the mattress in the summer.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up