cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

house battery question

Happyheart
Explorer
Explorer
when checking the water in the house batteries, is it necessary to disconnect the batteries to do so. if not, does the electricity need to be disconnected first. please excuse my incorrect punctuation and non use of capital letters, my keyboard decided to act up on me. probably too many sticky fingers from my grandson. thank you in advance for your help.
11 REPLIES 11

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've added Trik-L-Start to our mh and found that now our batteries go threw very little water.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Get a batteries watering system. https://www.flow-rite.com/ is one and you readily find it online.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Happyheart wrote:
when checking the water in the house batteries, is it necessary to disconnect the batteries to do so. if not, does the electricity need to be disconnected first. thank you in advance for your help.

Unless you can't access the battery tops in their mounted location (to move/remove/inspect them) then NO don't disconnect them unless you have a specific reason to do so. In fact, disconnecting them would INCREASE the chances of causing sparks/shorts which could be . . . . . . problematic, . . . . if charging/discharging gasses are present in your battery bay.

Prior to working/servicing the batteries, DO shut off all major loads (including the engine, generator, and shore power) and any chargers.

Clean up (neutralize) any spillage when you're done. Water with baking soda works great, and, it's cheap.

Chum lee

Happyheart
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much! Appreciate the help! have a blessed day!!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with BFL and always wear safety goggles.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Best practise, remove any charging source. Wait. Then do what you need to do to the battery bank.

As I got tired of laying in the snow, I've moved to AGM batteries.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
For me it is necessary, because the batteries are mounted under the entrance steps and the outer one must be removed to get access to the inner one (and the cables are far too short to do that without disconnection).

If physical access permits, there is no need to disconnect the wires physically. It is a reasonable idea to electrically disconnect or disable any charging and avoid heavy discharging, which often can be done all at once with the battery disconnect switch that most RVs have.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I always disconnect the shore power about half hour b4 doing any battery work - I only disconnect the battery if I have to remove the battery to inspect/add water.
Kevin

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Removed the caps, and vent prior to disconnecting anything.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Correct-- turn off all charging before checking.

Hydrogen gas is part of what is "bubbling". It is explosive if you mistakenly cause a spark.

So, yes, safer to turn off charging half hour or so before removing the caps.

Necessary-- likely not. But a pretty easy/cheap safety precaution.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can hear the batteries bubbling, yes disconnect before removing the caps so you don't get splattered with acid, and holes in your clothes. If no noise, no need to disconnect before removing caps to check electrolyte levels.

When charging the batteries the levels will rise, so only fill to the bottom of the slots. That leaves room for the levels to rise. Otherwise if you overfill, they will spill over out of the caps when being charged.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.