cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck batteries

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
When they gonna die ? I bought this F350 6.7 new in the first part of 2014 and got to thinking these batteries are original. They still start the truck like new all year.... cold or hot weather. Think when I have to replace them I’m going to buy the same kind ... OEM never even have had to jump this truck.
31 REPLIES 31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SweetLou wrote:
Just replaced an interstate from Costco which had 42 mo. It went 43. They gave me full price on a new one but had to pa the difference because their new one went to 36 mo now and he said the battery cost them more. I didn't complain since I got $89 credit he didn't have to honor.

They replaced the two Optimas after whatever the short warranty was on them. They actually gave me my money back and then I proceeded to buy the Costco's that went for many more years.

Manager said no problem after looking up how much I spend there. The general employees are told to say NO.

Their new warranty is 3 years no pro rating.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
I replaced the OE batteries on my 2015 CTD a couple of months ago but they were struggling a bit last spring. 4 years seems to be about all I get out of vehicle batteries. But they also see temperatures above 100 and below zero every year and I don't imagine that helps much in longevity.

I recently did the same on my 15. They don't like having batteries that are not in perfect condition. My Son replaced his last winter on his 15, cold weather in DFW.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Motorcraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls, which merged with Tyco International 3 years ago. The battery unit was sold to Brookfield Business Partner of Toronto in May of this year, the business was rebranded Clarios. It operates in 60 countries, who knows where they are manufactured. All I could find is Johnson (now Clarios) manufactures 65% of auto batteries sold in the US under 3 major brands, Interstate, Exide, & Motorcraft. They also make batteries for everyone from Wally World, to the big box parts stores. Specifications vary according to customer.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Like a couple of other posters the original Motorcraft batteries went 9 years.

Just curious Fish why the Motocraft batteries are not the same at dealer or parts store? I thought both used virgin lead?

What has really surprised me was I have a old 99 7.3 Powerstroke that I put in Wallyworld basic $48 dollar batteries since the truck sits most of the time, they are going on 5 years old and still fire the truck right up.

The factory batteries have a status window and are made in the US. The ones at the parts department do not have a status window and are made in Mexico
Are replacement Motorcraft batteries you buy from the Ford dealer US made?

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I find batteries last a long time when there is not a parasitic draw on them. We have an old Duramax that we hardly use and it goes through batteries at the rate of two per year. Seems like half the time we go to start it the batteries are dead.

Battery Tender has what you need, you shouldn't allow a battery to discharge to that level even once.

I tried a battery tender. It worked wonderful for awhile.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I find batteries last a long time when there is not a parasitic draw on them. We have an old Duramax that we hardly use and it goes through batteries at the rate of two per year. Seems like half the time we go to start it the batteries are dead.

Battery Tender has what you need, you shouldn't allow a battery to discharge to that level even once.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:

Just curious Fish why the Motocraft batteries are not the same at dealer or parts store? I thought both used virgin lead?

What has really surprised me was I have a old 99 7.3 Powerstroke that I put in Wallyworld basic $48 dollar batteries since the truck sits most of the time, they are going on 5 years old and still fire the truck right up.

The factory batteries have a status window and are made in the US. The ones at the parts department do not have a status window and are made in Mexico
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
Going into 4th year on stock Motorcraft battery and it still works great.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I have a great reason for new batteries as my wife had a very poor heart and I won't let her down trying to have them last until they show going bad. Might not make a difference as we all know nothing is perfect but I feel better trying to be on top of the issue. Feel the same for tires. I practice what I preach. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Motorcraft batteries you purchase at the parts store are not nearly as good as the factory Motorcraft batteries.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
When the Les Schwab batteries that were in our 2001 Ram 2500 when we bought it, I chose to replace with MOPAR branded replacements on 9/29/12 with 253,050 miles. When we sold the truck on June 1,2018 at 315,000 miles they were still going strong. the truck could set a month and still start right up. They were a bargan at $89 ea.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
Luck being what it is, they will probably give up when it is most inconvienent.

^^^^^^^ This.

No matter how you look at it, your battery's best days are behind it.

It will fail at some point. Depending on how you use/depend on your truck.... It could be anything from a minor pain to huge needlessly expensive deal.

As always, your money, your choice.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW