cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan generator

Lexg34
Explorer
Explorer
Hello I have an Onan 10,000 watt generator in my 2008 Monoco Camelot how long should it take to change the oil and all the filters ( oil gas and air ) ? and what should it cost about ? Thank You
9 REPLIES 9

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A shop that is familiar with these generators, and is set up correctly should be able to change the oil and oil filter in about 15 min. air filter another 15 min, as the coolant overflow tank has to be removed for access to air cleaner housing. Fuel filter is a little trickier, as some fuel system bleeding/priming is required. overall should be able to do in an hour, including clean up. Oil and filter about $50, air and fuel filters about $25 each (Onan list prices)

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyemunson wrote:
Not many shops will work for less than one hour so their labor rate plus about $100 in parts. But that does depend on how difficult it is to get at your particular generator. Maybe 2 hours for a tough one? All of us hate RV shop rates but remember they have to maintain a lot more real estate per repair job for our toys to take up room on.

They wouldn't have to maintain so much real estate if they didn't make it sit so long. The last time I took my coach in I made an appointment for 4 weeks out. I dropped it off thinking that they were going to work on it within a day or two since I had already been waiting 4 weeks. They let it sit 3 weeks. When I realized that they were letting it sit I called and asked them to throw the switch on the house batteries. They didn't and ran the batteries all the way down. I cold front came through and told them that I hadn't winterized it because I expected them to get on it and have it long before the storm came in. They told me that they were the gods of campers and would take great care of it. I got it back with freeze damage to the water pump and toilet, plus a hole in the door that they new nothing about. I am sure that I will have to take it to a dealer at some point but meanwhile I find it easier to do my own work. I can change oil and filters in both my generator and main engine in much less time than it takes me to drop off the coach and pick it back up.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Not many shops will work for less than one hour so their labor rate plus about $100 in parts. But that does depend on how difficult it is to get at your particular generator. Maybe 2 hours for a tough one? All of us hate RV shop rates but remember they have to maintain a lot more real estate per repair job for our toys to take up room on.

ronfisherman
Moved from class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
About an hour. Fuel and air filters access is a little more involved. Should be under $100 for parts/supplies.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
does your generator slide out for easy access? again, you will likely get better answers in the Class A section instead of the Class C section.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Most generator oil changes are pretty simple - chances are you will find a Youtube that shows the oil change in your rig.
Kevin

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
You'd probably get a better answer in the class A forum.

I would think a fair bit of the answer depends on how readily the particular generator installation allows for access to the generator. Changing the oil and filters in itself shouldn't be an overly long or complex process. I probably wouldn't bother with the fuel filter unless there was some reason to believe that it was in need of replacement, such as the generator giving signs of fuel starvation under load.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
The whole operation shouldn't take more than 20 minutes unless Monaco made the oil drain and filter hard to access. OEM's are known to do that. As far as cost goes depends where you buy your supplies but don't cheap out. Clean oil and air are your best insurance.