cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling Propane While Traveling

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you fill propane while traveling?
I know a lot of campgrounds will have someone that is mobile and can come to your site, but what if you are going boodocking.
The company that fills my house tank use to do but now they have a new truck and something to do with increased pressure.
My tank are 30 pounds so not that easy to move around. Ed
35 REPLIES 35

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
1ed wrote:
Where do you fill propane while traveling?
I know a lot of campgrounds will have someone that is mobile and can come to your site, but what if you are going boodocking.
The company that fills my house tank use to do but now they have a new truck and something to do with increased pressure.
My tank are 30 pounds so not that easy to move around. Ed

Many CGs like KOAs, Flying J's, Camping World are three that come to mind right off.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Many RV parks I have been in have large tanks to refill the 30's. When I have used them they take the tank in the park golf cart to the refill station.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
1ed wrote:
My tanks are 30 pounds and weigh 55 pounds when full. All of the exchange places in my area ONLY swap the 20 pound tanks. Hence the question.

many gas stations, uhaul locations, etc. will fill propane tanks, including the 30lb tanks. And IMHO swapping tanks is a boondoggle. First the cost/gallon of propane is much higher than filling, second most if not all only give you a partially filled tank

I only use tank swaps when my tanks are expired, cheaper than getting them recertified.

yup I've used the "tank swap" option with an expired tank as well. In fact the pump jockey at the location helped me look through the tanks to find one in good shape and nearly new.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
1ed wrote:
My tanks are 30 pounds and weigh 55 pounds when full. All of the exchange places in my area ONLY swap the 20 pound tanks. Hence the question.

many gas stations, uhaul locations, etc. will fill propane tanks, including the 30lb tanks. And IMHO swapping tanks is a boondoggle. First the cost/gallon of propane is much higher than filling, second most if not all only give you a partially filled tank

I only use tank swaps when my tanks are expired, cheaper than getting them recertified.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
1ed wrote:

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes there's literally multiple places that fill bottles in virtually every town. Not like propane use is more popular in some places and not in others.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I put the tank in the truck in a milk crate. Usually try to find a local Tractor Supply on the smarter than me phone as they charge by the gallon only. If not, a regular LP place. For a motorhome I used to have to find a LP dealer where I could pull the motorhome up to for filling. Flying J used to have LP. Some parks have a LP turck which comes through certain days and you have to sign up for it.

Lots of options. Also, my understanding from an LP dealer is the exchange tanks are not filled to the normal capacity and be careful in getting one with an expired OPD.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
1ed wrote:

Forget the "swap" places.... find a place that refills.
Phone book or Google should result in some Propane vendors.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If you do not need the capacity of the 30 lb bottles, switch them for a pair of 20's.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Costco membership, some sell propane and it's typically the cheapest that I find.

Second to them, Tractor Supply is the next cheapest.

TruValue/Ace Hardware sometimes have it.

U-Haul places often have it, but they're expensive.

And then lastly, there are private propane dealers. Their prices are usually a little expensive.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I've used Yelp to find propane when away from a familiar area. But I rarely need to fill in the middle of a trip and prefer to refill near home.

I also used Yelp to find propane near my home, after getting disgusted with the U-Haul dealer that I had used for years. Found the new guy based on Yelp reviews, and his service is outstanding, open 24 hours, and will even deliver for free.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Wow,
Thanks for all the great ideas. You people are fantastic!!!!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
There's propane all over in the PNW, guessing CA has it everywhere too.
Many fuel stations have a propane filling area. RV parks have a propane.
I have two 30# tanks as well. They last a very long time unless you're camping in cold weather and need to run the furnace a lot.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Tractor Supply is typically the lowest price. To see if there is a store near you, click the link below, then scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Find in Stores":

Tractor Supply with propane
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN