Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Sticker shock
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Sticker shock

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
patnchris

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Midnightsadie....Don't know where you're from but around here you can make $15 stocking shelves in a department store. I was making $28/hr. back in 1995...plus 401k match, 75% of healthcare, paid holidays, and 3 weeks paid vacation...

Patrick and Christine
Trevor the cocker spaniel
2007 Ford F150 4X4 Max tow package
Flagstaff 8526 RLWS Classic Ultralight.

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patnchris wrote:

Midnightsadie....Don't know where you're from but around here you can make $15 stocking shelves in a department store. I was making $28/hr. back in 1995...plus 401k match, 75% of healthcare, paid holidays, and 3 weeks paid vacation...

See what RV dealers are charging per hour compared to what they pay their mechanics.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I believe the mechanic should get the lions share of the service fee. Unfortunately the opposite is a fact of life.

Problem is the lion's share of the cost to the owner is not the hourly rate that is paid.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boils down to managing ONLY their bottom line...cheapest at any cost to make the most MONEY

Any cost in their products/service and to their customers...

Too many of their customers demand the cheapest...not understanding how they've driven this metric in a circular cycle

Lost is that if they had the better product/service...their bottom line would follow...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I thought the hourly labor rate was based on a combined cost of service, not what the mechanic gets paid. Since they are not billing based on the time the service adviser spent, the time the parts dept spent pulling the parts, the time the cashiers spent, the cost of the service bay rental, the cost of the electricity to run the compressor and lights, the"free" car wash, the paper mats and plastic seat covers, etc., etc., etc., they use a generic labor rate which was designed to be all inclusive. It's the "shop supplies" charges that is the real profit center as those generic items were already calculated in the generic labor rate.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The idea that you get charged for shop supplies, towels, clean rags, etc. is crazy. That's part of the cost of doing the business you do. It would be like Walmart adding a charge on the receipt for aisle sweeping, toilet paper, shelf restocking.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my most recent bill:

1,736.45 for parts
560 for labor (8 hours)
56 for shop materials
126.18 federal sales tax
151.42 provincial sales tax

2801.24 total.

new leaf springs, with extra leaf on both sides, new monro shocks, timbrens, various small parts such as u bolts and nuts. I'm exceedingly happy with this.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In most repair shops, the hourly rate is jacked up to cover this as an overhead cost, just like insurance, rent, etc. Since the advent of computers, it's become a method to itemize such supplies, and add it automatically. Just because you can categorize it now, it becomes a charge.

I can't imagine adding nails, screws, saw blades, drill bits when I was building homes years ago, nor a fee for 'forms' and stamps when I sent an invoice. That stuff was all in my cost projections.

It's like buying tires - we get a 'quote', then when the invoice arrives, a tire disposal fee, a shop fee, state tax, fed tax, town road fee all adds to the 'original out-the-door' charge. I always look at the OTD price once I arrive, and if so, THEN compare it to the size of the check I will write, not the phone quote. Sometimes, it makes it worth leaving and buy the tires elsewhere.

OTD quote should be dollars we write on the check amount lines.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

JALLEN4

SouthWest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is an idea. Why don't you guys who obviously know everything about how these service shops should be run, start your own. You will obviously be rich nearly overnight and us dummies will never have to wait to make an appointment again while we enjoy your cheap prices![emoticon]

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JALLEN4 wrote:

Here is an idea. Why don't you guys who obviously know everything about how these service shops should be run, start your own. You will obviously be rich nearly overnight and us dummies will never have to wait to make an appointment again while we enjoy your cheap prices![emoticon]

Exactly. Unless you have owned a business you have no idea the multitude of overhead costs that must be covered by means of the income you collect before you can even think about a profit for yourself.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Sticker shock
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.