Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Sticker shock
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Sticker shock

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reasonable? Yes, as dealers have a huge overhead with their large facilities and associated building overhead costs (utilities, taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc.) and all their personnel besides just the mechanic's salaries. (service advisors, parts personnel, people taking payments and doing paperwork, cleanup personnel, supervisors/managers, etc). And salaries are much higher than the basic hourly rate when you add in the employment taxes that must be paid and the hours for vacations and holidays that are paid for no work performed. Those costs are easy to overlook when wondering why they charge so much. Unless you have owned a business yourself and know the facts of owning one it is easy to accuse someone of overcharging. Just a fact of life.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long been known that dealers make their money on service. Maybe a little bit on used cars. New car sales bring in comparatively very little.

This is one of the big disruptions with electric vehicles. Far lower need for service. This is why dealers do no want electric vehicles to be sold. Dealer associations block Tesla from having 'dealerships' for this very reason in about half the states. Existing dealers that do have an EV for sale will always push the gasoline models unless the customer insists.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

The thing that upsets me is that dealers generally add on surcharges for things like shop rags and cleaning materials. I run a small business and my rate includes everything, as it should.

Those rates are why I very rarely take my vehicles to a dealer once the warrentee has expired.
My independent charges for shop supplies as well.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Not the cheapest rate but dealerships have always been on the higher end of the spectrum.

What a lot of people fail to realize is just because the mechanic get $30-40/hr, doesn't mean that is what it costs the owner to supply a mechanic for an hour. This is particularly so at dealerships where they have to be set up to handle any and all repairs (independent shops can simply decline some types of work). Dealers also have to have the latest training. They need expensive diagnostic systems and an array of parts in inventory.
I've never seen a shop where the mechanics get $30-$40/hour wages. Maybe Porsche, MB, or Ferrari.

* This post was edited 11/07/19 03:42pm by fj12ryder *

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the mechanic should get the lions share of the service fee. Unfortunately the opposite is a fact of life.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

I wonder what the rate is when divided by actual time spent versus the book rate that we are charged?

Talking to some mechanics, the "book rate" is sort of the maximum amount of time it should take to do a repair. Most experienced mechanics can work much faster, but the "book rate" helps them when a job doesn't go smoothly, gives them sort of a cushion.

Most independent shops now use the same "book rate" (or more precise "computer rate) as the dealerships, or close to it. As posted earlier, they sometimes also add in the "shop rags" and other expenses now.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't be all tore up. they want $130.00 just to plug in, and tell me which seat sensor is bad. Not to fix it. Just tell which one is bad. so. it is still bad, and probably won't be fixed. she said the air bag won't work with it on. Truthfully. that ain't a bad thing for me. I sit pretty close to the steering wheel, and it isn't good for a airbag to go off when you sit close to it.

Why do I sit so close. I found I have better control while sitting close, as opposed to having my arm stretched out.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Don't be all tore up. they want $130.00 just to plug in, and tell me which seat sensor is bad. Not to fix it. Just tell which one is bad. so. it is still bad, and probably won't be fixed. she said the air bag won't work with it on. Truthfully. that ain't a bad thing for me. I sit pretty close to the steering wheel, and it isn't good for a airbag to go off when you sit close to it.

Why do I sit so close. I found I have better control while sitting close, as opposed to having my arm stretched out.
O'Reilly Auto Parts will let you use their code reader for free.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't taken a vehicle to a dealer for quite a while now. But at the time they would charge a diagnostic fee. If you had them fix the issue they would apply the cost of the diagnostic fee to the price of the repair. I always assumed that was how it was done across the board. Apparently times have changed, or maybe it's a state or region thing.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

O'Reilly Auto Parts will let you use their code reader for free.

thanks. will it read the seat sensors as well? that little guy that sit in the seat with a belt on. lights up on the cluster. But not all the time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Sticker shock
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS