Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Sticker shock
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Sticker shock

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the other comments....while the hourly rate or flat rate for labor seems excessive (of course businesses will charge wha the market will bear), until one understands the cost of running a business, any business that has full time employees, stick n bricks shop, high $ equipment and high risk activities, you won't understand why the mechanic "only" gets $30 of that $150/hour rate. Oh and the $30 wage is more like $50 cost to the company.

Of course I can do work cheaper in my garage at home, and do. My "shop" is not a business expense, my tools are plenary compared to most shops therefore not as efficient and my overhead expense is basically limited to the cost of beer and, well, that's about it!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JusBud

Right Here

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

JusBud wrote:

I guess I got a bargain at my local RV shop.
$100/hour.
I don't think they have shop towels or any other cleaning supplies lol
I was waiting for the junk yard dog to come out but in fact it was a pig. No lie.
But he was the only shop that would work on my basement air.
When I had the workhorse brake recall done by another shop they were $125/hour and very nice shop. No cost to me but I will gladly spend the extra $25 and not be greeted by a pig lol
Was the pig the one working on the motorhome? It doesn't matter if the shop is immaculate if the guy doing the work is unknowledgeable of what they are doing.

Pig was just the door greeter.
Although the actual mechanic looked like he could use a bath.
Of course it matters if the shop is immaculate. Means they care. And if they can also repair it correctly then it's a win win.
The immaculate shop was working on newer high end coaches while the other shop had all older coaches.
Both shops fixed my coach correctly
So the immaculate shop still wins overall

JALLEN4

SouthWest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

JALLEN4 wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

BarabooBob wrote:

I gladly take my F150 to the local Ford dealership. They properly service my truck and get it back to me when promised. They are not the cheapest here in town, but, I had problems with a couple of other shops getting the work done. One other shop had one of my vehicles for 3 weeks because they kept doing other jobs while my truck sat on the lift. The Ford shop gets my work done and the vehicle back to me asap.
They beat all of the other tires shops when I needed new tires. Great service.

Stick with that dealer then. They have obviously earned your business. All the dealers I've dealt with the past 30 years sucked big time and would never use them for any repair other than warranty work

You truly need to think about what you are saying. If, over a 30 year period of time, you have never received proper treatment from a dealer's shop...you might want to reconsider where the problem actually is.

Perhaps he actually checks the work and is in touch with reality. My last dealer visit resulted in a damaged hub cap and a brake hose pulled tight across the coil spring. I have had bad and dangerous worked performed by dealers and other shops since I started driving many decades ago. But go ahead and always blame the victim.

Nobody is "blaming the victim" but that is a good attempt to shift the conversation. It is just ridiculous to state that over a 30 year period of time no dealer ever did anything other than poor work. There are millions of satisfactory reviews of shops on the internet including on this forum. Sounds good though to those who want to think everyone is taking advantage of them always!

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

So I got tasked with the job of taking care of a small fleet of vehicles at work.

My boss tells that one of our vehicles (an 09 Ford Explorer) was making a funny noise and wanted me to check it out. I took it for a test driver and sure enough, it was making a very strange almost like turbo noise. It almost sounded like a set of planetaries going out in the tranny.

I take it to a local shop that a friend owns and he checks it out but he can't find out where the noise was coming from so my boss said take it to the dealer.

So I make an appointment at the dealer and they can't reproduce the noise. Super nice tech. He took me for a ride to see if I could hear it again. Nope, gone. All well.

Anyway I haven't been to a dealer in a long time and when I looked at their labor board I about had myself a heart attack! $158.00/ hour!! $158.00/ hour!!

I'm out of touch!

Is this what some of you outside of Kalifornia are seeing at your Ford dealer?

Just wondered.

I drive Chevys only so never had that problem LOL

Find a good local mech and avoid Stealers,
Or fix it yourself

https://youtu.be/-skXw0I05Jg

TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just yesterday I was talking with my BF (known each other close to 50 years), he's a senor service adviser for a very large Mercedes-Benz Dealership in the North East. He started out swinging wenches and worked at both smaller and very big dealerships.

We were talking about how the dealerships charging "Book Time" for repairs has effected the quality of work. Some of the time "paid" does not even come close to the time that the "Tech" has to spend to complete the repair. This leads to the tech sometimes working on several different vehicles at the same time and billing hours on each one. When I called these "Techs" part changers and not real wrenches, I was surprised when he agreed with me. With all of the computers that all of these new vehicles have makes all these Techs part changers because, they can usually only change a part if the computer says to replace it! Now there are times where they do actually diagnosis something but when they do, it tends to really jack the cost way up!

I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

travelnman

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have seen worse but the trend is higher and higher. The more folks strike, hold their services, protest, ask for higher wages for unskilled jobs, demand more because the neighbor got a raise the higher things go. Except for milk and eggs what have you seen get cheaper? Its a never ending circle until the dollar is worth what a penny is now. Then the government reaches out for more with higher gas taxes. My state just doubled the gas tax, the county added more and so did the city while the feds can't wait for their chance. My grandfather said during a poker game that when he runs our of money he just goes and gets some more. I think that's how our government works I know the cable company works this way. So when you see labor rates like this instead of going into shock take note for your next salary review, this is the way the system works. I had my wheel bearings greased this year on the RV and a brake inspection. The bill was $400.00 and I don't think the dealer really wanted to do the job.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Sticker shock
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS