cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel clearance

DickOK
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new truck and hitch. Our 5th wheel when hooked up sits level. However, there is only 4 1/2 inches of clearance between the 5th wheel and truck. Hate to raise the hitch which will make the 5th wheel not sit level. What do you think about the clearance?
Dick OK
10 REPLIES 10

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Set it to 6โ€ min. Go to the scales weigh each axle. Be sure you are not overloading rear axle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelc wrote:
I have a 2006 Ford 6.0 Lariet and a Carriage Cameo. Because the truck is so high, Carriage, when they were in business and I ordered the RV, flipped the axles on the 5er. This gave me the clearance I needed. Don't know if all RV can be done on all 5er's or what the charge would be, but you can check with a dealer you trust to find out if this can be done and would solve your problem.

It's a lot easier to adjust the hitch first, until you run out of hitch adjustment then move on to more extreme measures like flipping the axle.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2006 Ford 6.0 Lariet and a Carriage Cameo. Because the truck is so high, Carriage, when they were in business and I ordered the RV, flipped the axles on the 5er. This gave me the clearance I needed. Don't know if all RV can be done on all 5er's or what the charge would be, but you can check with a dealer you trust to find out if this can be done and would solve your problem.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lower the pin box one hole. Like others have said, a little nose high will not hurt. That is why they put "flexible" suspensions on the trailers.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
6" is better. Running a little nose high is not a problem.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
5 inches is usually considered to be the minimum, 6 to 8 inches is better. Adjust the hitch.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œpretty tight especially if you get a bit off the beaten path.โ€

Even a gas station driveway might cause an expensive problem.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
An inch to 1 1/2" nose high is nothing to worry about, raise the hitch.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Can you lift the trailer? 4.5" is pretty tight especially if you get a bit off the beaten path.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that's enough clearance. I lowered my truck 2" in the back to deal with this problem. What kind of truck is it and is that an option for you?