Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Upgrade truck suspension
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Upgrade truck suspension

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like OP has left the building.

I don’t believe porpoising is insurmountable unless you continue to use the same approaches that didn’t work. There just aren’t that many parts.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

PhilR

Albany NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to mention in my previous post....althought my combo is identical to the OP's rig, I have the plow package on my truck which includes a higher rated front axle.

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Seems like OP has left the building.

I don’t believe porpoising is insurmountable unless you continue to use the same approaches that didn’t work. There just aren’t that many parts.

While it is true there are not that many parts, if the harmonic that sets up is not caused by or controlled by the parts that are realistically swapable, it is a tough go.

I have researched threads on this topic that go back at least a decade and noted some folks who replaced part after part with at best limited success. I need to make a video what we have the camper on the back and the porpoising starts. It is not just a motion. The truck literally sounds like it is going to tear itself apart and dropping down to about 40 mph is the only thing that seems to work. This is after a the second set of shocks, Super springs, and a Hellwig sway bar.

I purchased Torklift uppers, but after receiving them and noting if I installed them my overloads would be engaged even when empty, I called Torklift to discuss the situation and ended up returning them. I now have fabbed my own uppers, but with the weather have yet to try them out.

I wish there was a simple solution, but I think it is more elusive than it may appear to be. However, the problem is not constant or even frequent, the vast majority of the time, it is a nonissue on our combo.

Do you have a suggestion of what you think will work? [emoticon]

Steve

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ardvark wrote:

Do you have a suggestion of what you think will work?

I have questions, first.

What mods do you have on now?

What tire pressure are you running?

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

ardvark wrote:

Do you have a suggestion of what you think will work?

I have questions, first.

What mods do you have on now?

What tire pressure are you running?

I have Rancho 9100s all the way around and the Hellwig sway bar. That's it. Tire pressure is per door sticker: 65 front and 80 rear. I also have my CAT scale weights and an within my GVW, again per door sticker.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are the front and rear axle weights from the CAT scale and was the camper wet and loaded for camping at the time ? What are the Rancho shocks set at front and rear ?

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

What are the front and rear axle weights from the CAT scale and was the camper wet and loaded for camping at the time ? What are the Rancho shocks set at front and rear ?

I have both for the truck and with both truck campers, Hallmark Ute and NorthStar Laredo. As you know these are both light weight TCs and the problem was the same with each. Weights are fully wet and ready to travel. What weights would you like and if I might, what are yours?

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sticker info on 2012 F350 SRW LB Gasser
6,000 front plow axle 7,000 pound rear 11,000 GVWR Payload not to exceed 3,829

Truck - me, wife, and a full tank of fuel Front 4,440# Rear 3,200#
Truck as above with Hallmark UTE wet Front 4,740# Rear 6,080#
Truck as above with Northstar Laredo wet Front 4,820# Rear 6,120#

Steve

* This post was edited 11/11/19 01:05pm by ardvark *

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My scale weights are unloaded 4320# F and 3960# R . Loaded its 4400# F and 7220# R . Keep in mind truck is an older drw with different camper . I'm surprised your' s is adding 300# to the front , that might be a contributor . WHat is your front axle rating . Can you narrow it down to what roads cause the problem . I know the truck is new but I had a similar problem in a new 73 Dodge van . It turned out to be an internal nut in the steering box that backed off . If you can duplicate the problem it may be time for a dealer visit .

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry Ardvark had your rig mixed up with th OP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Upgrade truck suspension
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.