Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Upgrade truck suspension
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Upgrade truck suspension

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 11/08/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bilstein has a recommended model for high center of gravity loaded pickups. They work good on my old Dodge. Can’t remember the number but it isn’t the “popular” one.

Struts from the overhead to the cab cowl work very well. Lance options those.

Hitching a trailer to a 2 or 3 foot hitch extension pretty much stops it on both my trucks. 06 Dodge quad cab diesel 4wd 3500 or 12 F350 crew cab gasohol 4wd.

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/08/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I thought Rancho shocks would help dampen bouncing and sway. Well they did sort of. I put the rear Ranchos on high and the fronts on a medium setting. The ride was really harsh and my wife complained it hurt her back and neck. That just seemed to be a sad fact of life when carrying a heavy camper.

After a few years, I added Supersprings. Wow, what a difference. I was able to put the shocks at medium settings and had a smooth ride without the harshness.

My advice would be to improve the suspension with added springs or whatever it takes. Do not expect the shocks to compensate for a marginal or weak suspension.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/08/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TC weight doesn't affect front load much, so can't imagine how new, factory shocks on front can't be adequate for handling.
Than I never drove Dodge [emoticon]
My 2017 F350 holds 6000 lb camper on factory suspension just fine, but just to smooth empty ride, I installed Sulastic hangers. They improved empty ride a lot and even it is hard to tell difference when loaded, it has to be smoother as well.
I have no problem with handling even at 75 mph.





wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/08/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

TC weight doesn't affect front load much, so can't imagine how new, factory shocks on front can't be adequate for handling.
Than I never drove Dodge [emoticon]
My 2017 F350 holds 6000 lb camper on factory suspension just fine, but just to smooth empty ride, I installed Sulastic hangers. They improved empty ride a lot and even it is hard to tell difference when loaded, it has to be smoother as well.
I have no problem with handling even at 75 mph.

High COG loads like TC’s affect the dynamic load at the front. Porpoising and side to side roll involve both axles.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/08/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My camper stands 12-6 and in the past, with utility bad on older truck had it at 13-6. Ford don't have any problems with that, although having waste water in rear tanks I did experience some porpoising, but in my camper the tanks sit 7 feet behind rear axle.

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

Full Member

Joined: 05/02/2018

View Profile



Posted: 11/08/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When one sits down and lists all the possible variables between trucks and different brands of trucks along with driver expectations, as well as differences between campers, it is hard to make a case that one fix or size fits all.

Looking back, forums discussions have been talking handling for decades and I see little to suggest that is going to change. What works for some rigs just doesn't get it for others.

Just my two cents [emoticon]

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/08/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ardvark wrote:

What works for some rigs just doesn't get it for others.

That's what I've been saying, although in different words.
But I think my Fleetwood camper belongs to extreme campers due to size and weight, yet standart F350 (with aluminium bed) handles it fine.
Only Host owners are in the sizing range and they seem to drive F550's, but with steel beds...
But coming to original question, unless Dodge has totally different characteristics from Ford, I don't think front shocks play big role.

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

Full Member

Joined: 05/02/2018

View Profile



Posted: 11/08/19 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guess, when it comes to truck campers, is there is no rule that does not have an exception and even the best rules are perhaps right no more than 80% of the time. Truck campers are just weird in my book. [emoticon]

jimh425

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Online
Posted: 11/08/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ardvark wrote:

My guess, when it comes to truck campers, is there is no rule that does not have an exception and even the best rules are perhaps right no more than 80% of the time. Truck campers are just weird in my book. [emoticon]


Truck campers aren't weird. What a few people post as facts is weird.


'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.


ardvark

Bristol, TN.

Full Member

Joined: 05/02/2018

View Profile



Posted: 11/08/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

ardvark wrote:

My guess, when it comes to truck campers, is there is no rule that does not have an exception and even the best rules are perhaps right no more than 80% of the time. Truck campers are just weird in my book. [emoticon]


Truck campers aren't weird. What a few people post as facts is weird.


Or possibly both? [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Upgrade truck suspension
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.