Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric Pickup?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Pickup?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

Towing 3 tons of trailer, or more, at 65 mph for 250 to 300 miles before a recharge is needed? This is an RV forum. If it can't do that under common towing conditions, then for us it can't do that.

If you are expecting 15 minutes recharge cycle from a nearly fully drawn or drained battery, then this is not for you.

There is nothing yet except speculation of a claim of 500 mile range. Again, it's not yet independently tested under towing conditions nor to verify the range under actual driving conditions.

My own benchmark as I want a Tesla pick up mainly for my RV towing, is a range of 300 miles.

I usually take my lunch coinciding with my gas up which takes me about 45 to 1 hour, then that's much I tolerate for the recharging. My other wish list is that campsites will have superchargers.

Thank you. My point, exactly, is that an EV will not allow me to do what I do now with my ICE. Or, even get close.

Reisender wrote:

I don’t think I would need 300 miles if towing range as we would never travel that far without a substantial break. Maybe 400 kilometers max would work.

Everyone's needs are different. Last September, we spent 5 weeks doing a leaf changing tour in the northeast US. It took us 4 days just to get to our starting point, driving 400 to 500 miles per day. At 250 to 300 miles per day, it would have taken us a week just to get to our starting point.

Yep. Right tool for the right job.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

Towing 3 tons of trailer, or more, at 65 mph for 250 to 300 miles before a recharge is needed? This is an RV forum. If it can't do that under common towing conditions, then for us it can't do that.

If you are expecting 15 minutes recharge cycle from a nearly fully drawn or drained battery, then this is not for you.

There is nothing yet except speculation of a claim of 500 mile range. Again, it's not yet independently tested under towing conditions nor to verify the range under actual driving conditions.

My own benchmark as I want a Tesla pick up mainly for my RV towing, is a range of 300 miles.

I usually take my lunch coinciding with my gas up which takes me about 45 to 1 hour, then that's much I tolerate for the recharging. My other wish list is that campsites will have superchargers.

Thank you. My point, exactly, is that an EV will not allow me to do what I do now with my ICE. Or, even get close.

And I'm pretty sure Tesla won't force you. [emoticon][emoticon]

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Actually there are about two dozen ChargePoint charging stations around the area of Foothills NC as found by Google.

And your home has electricity, Yes?

https://www.google.com/maps/search/[email protected],-81.9816142,9z/data=!3m1!4b1

Two dozen. Wow. Just not close to me, or where I go. When they put one on every corner like gas stations. Then we will talk. Right now. I'm not real sure the factories would like for me to hookup to their company car charging stations.

I just did 568 miles in 10 hours. Could I do that with a EV? Nope.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Actually there are about two dozen ChargePoint charging stations around the area of Foothills NC as found by Google.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/[email protected],-81.9816142,9z/data=!3m1!4b1

Two dozen. Wow. Just not close to me, or where I go. When they put one on every corner like gas stations. Then we will talk. Right now. I'm not real sure the factories would like for me to hookup to their company car charging stations.

Don't you have electricity in your own home?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Ok so you will not have an EV any time soon. Still the EV will work for many. Be happy for those that can go first and blaze the trail for the rest. When the time is right it will be an easy choice. For some that time will be long in the future or possibly never.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Ok so you will not have an EV any time soon. Still the EV will work for many. Be happy for those that can go first and blaze the trail for the rest. When the time is right it will be an easy choice. For some that time will be long in the future or possibly never.

For some, never, because of political reasons.

They think they are tree-hugger, climate change believer and libs mobile.[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

Others, they don't want their cars or truck smarter than them.[emoticon]

* This post was edited 11/14/19 11:05am by Yosemite Sam1 *

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if they will start building in generator and fuel tank so you can recharge every 200 miles or so? Or maybe a towable solar array a 10000 lb capacity trailer should hold enough fold out panels to recharge the batteries in 8 hours.
I wonder how many EVs are in use around Erie during snow season.
Not many years ago a big snowstorm had traffic stopped for two days at least in I75 north of Atlanta. Semi Drivers were taking people from cars which had run out of fuel into their cabs. A lot more were very cold. How long can an EV heat the interior?

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

I wonder if they will start building in generator and fuel tank so you can recharge every 200 miles or so? Or maybe a towable solar array a 10000 lb capacity trailer should hold enough fold out panels to recharge the batteries in 8 hours.
Not many years ago a big snowstorm had traffic stopped for two days at least in I75 north of Atlanta. Semi Drivers were taking people from cars which had run out of fuel into their cabs. A lot more were very cold. How long can an EV heat the interior?

Depends on the car and the temp you set it at I suppose. We find once the car is at temperature it doesn’t take much to keep it there. It’s a small cabin. My meter usually reads about 500 watts to keep it warm when it’s around minus 12. That includes the heated seats and steering wheel. We set it for 18 C as we usually have warm clothes on in winter. So maybe 12 kw per day. Ish. So something like an Eplus Leaf or Model 3 Tesla has about a 60 to 70 kw battery. Maybe 2 or 3 days depending on where you start etc. Something like a model S Tesla probably 4 or 5 days. An EV pickup truck will have a big a$$ battery so probably a week or more. A semi maybe a month. Like everything else depends on lots of conditions.

Winter in an EV is sooo much nicer than a gas or diesel job. Preheat and defrost using the phone app or departure timers. Always ready, no scraping. Never filling up at a gas station and grabbing a cold pump handle. Always fueled every morning. Nice.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

down home wrote:

Depends on the car and the temp you set it at I suppose. We find once the car is at temperature it doesn’t take much to keep it there. It’s a small cabin. My meter usually reads about 500 watts to keep it warm when it’s around minus 12. That includes the heated seats and steering wheel. We set it for 18 C as we usually have warm clothes on in winter. So maybe 12 kw per day. Ish. So something like an Eplus Leaf or Model 3 Tesla has about a 60 to 70 kw battery. Maybe 2 or 3 days depending on where you start etc. Something like a model S Tesla probably 4 or 5 days. An EV pickup truck will have a big a$$ battery so probably a week or more. A semi maybe a month. Like everything else depends on lots of conditions.

Winter in an EV is sooo much nicer than a gas or diesel job. Preheat and defrost using the phone app or departure timers. Always ready, no scraping. Never filling up at a gas station and grabbing a cold pump handle. Always fueled every morning. Nice.

And no danger in carbon monoxide poisoning when stuck overnight inside your car with engine running for the heater.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was couple years back
Sleeping in Tesla Model X in minus 36°

https://youtu.be/capOgUHPz9Q

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Pickup?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS