Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric Pickup?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Pickup?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

This was couple years back
Sleeping in Tesla Model X in minus 36°

https://youtu.be/capOgUHPz9Q

This is very re-assuring and helps me directionally in choosing an EV pick up as a replacement for my tow vehicle. We won't anymore limited by heavy snow, my main worry winter camping at Yosemite and plan to extend our visits to Canadian national parks.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

This is very re-assuring and helps me directionally in choosing an EV pick up as a replacement for my tow vehicle. We won't anymore limited by heavy snow, my main worry winter camping at Yosemite and plan to extend our visits to Canadian national parks.

That video was interesting. During our military careers we lived in a few places with those temps. Makes sense as they are on the same latitude lines as Norway. I remember flat spotted tires well. LOL. Interesting that the country with the highest zeal uptake is Norway.

Now we live in south central BC and a really cold day for us is minus 15. Woohoo. We try to get away to warmer climates when it’s cold but an EV makes winters a little more tolerable than putting up with the idiosynchrosies of gas and diesel vehicles in winter. We replaced one of our diesel vehicles with an EV 5 years ago. The following spring we traded in our other gasser. We would never go back. But you should count on losing about 35 percent of your range in those kind of conditions. So get the right EV and make sure it will suit your needs under those conditions.

Interestingly enough BC just hit the 10 percent mark for EV vehicle sales in BC.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/139........-emission-cb-ventes?depuisRecherche=true

* This post was edited 11/23/19 05:53pm by an administrator/moderator *

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

That video was interesting. During our military careers we lived in a few places with those temps. Makes sense as they are on the same latitude lines as Norway. I remember flat spotted tires well. LOL. Interesting that the country with the highest zeal uptake is Norway.

Now we live in south central BC and a really cold day for us is minus 15. Woohoo. We try to get away to warmer climates when it’s cold but an EV makes winters a little more tolerable than putting up with the idiosynchrosies of gas and diesel vehicles in winter. We replaced one of our diesel vehicles with an EV 5 years ago. The following spring we traded in our other gasser. We would never go back. But you should count on losing about 35 percent of your range in those kind of conditions. So get the right EV and make sure it will suit your needs under those conditions.

Interestingly enough BC just hit the 10 percent mark for EV vehicle sales in BC.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/139........-emission-cb-ventes?depuisRecherche=true

Thanks again for your thoughtful input. Buying big ticket asset involve much research and difficult decisions.

I find your posts on the subject knowledgeable and level headed. Of course, because you are Canadian, lol.

And I wish that we too Americans and RVers see through this and the environment issues simply as a common sensical matter rather than political.

* This post was edited 11/23/19 05:54pm by an administrator/moderator *

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Actually there are about two dozen ChargePoint charging stations around the area of Foothills NC as found by Google.

And your home has electricity, Yes?

https://www.google.com/maps/search/[email protected],-81.9816142,9z/data=!3m1!4b1

Two dozen. Wow. Just not close to me, or where I go. When they put one on every corner like gas stations. Then we will talk. Right now. I'm not real sure the factories would like for me to hookup to their company car charging stations.
Ok so you will not have an EV any time soon. Still the EV will work for many. Be happy for those that can go first and blaze the trail for the rest. When the time is right it will be an easy choice. For some that time will be long in the future or possibly never.

For some, never, because of political reasons.

They think they are tree-hugger, climate change believer and libs mobile.[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

Others, they don't want their cars or truck smarter than them.[emoticon]

Being smarter than me is not the problem. My truck, and car are both smarter than me already. I just need a vehicle that is ready to go ANY time I WANT to, and will go as far as I want to when I want to go. I don't want to have to call for a gas powered vehicle to bring a diesel powered generator to charge me enough to get home.

and yes my homes has electricity. But I only have a 100' drop cord

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

???? What good's a pickup if you can't haul anything in the bed. Truck Camper owners ?? Not for U, for sure.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20953........20pickup%20turned%20electric%20hot%20rod

Made it a clicky.

Thank you !!

Would have skipped it.

"Monkey44" - take note !!

BTW - the current issue of Hot Rod mag has an xln't article on
E-vehicles - including the (all time) record holder for Pikes Peak.

[emoticon]

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

???? What good's a pickup if you can't haul anything in the bed. Truck Camper owners ?? Not for U, for sure.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20953........20pickup%20turned%20electric%20hot%20rod

Made it a clicky.

Thank you !!

Would have skipped it.

"Monkey44" - take note !!

BTW - the current issue of Hot Rod mag has an xln't article on
E-vehicles - including the (all time) record holder for Pikes Peak.

[emoticon]

Looks like everyone is in a rush to join the electric pick up line -- even GM.

GM Electric

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Looks like everyone is in a rush to join the electric pick up line -- even GM.

GM Electric

I think GM is just waiting to see how popular Tesla truck will be,
before doing one of their own if ever.
Until EV trucks outsell ICE trucks GM and others dont have to worry about losing business.

* This post was edited 11/23/19 05:57pm by an administrator/moderator *

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Exactly. Why worry about it. Just check your app or car software. Charge stations in Britain are plentiful. EV’s have gauges that indicate charge level no different than a gas gauge. If someone is unable to grasp the simple concept that vehicles need fuel then they should probably be denied a drivers license. As you said. If you are going somewhere that doesn’t have a fueling point or charging point then make alternative arrangements.

This is a non issue.

A hunting trip I take often has me towing (26K gross) from Phoenix to the north Kaibab. Not to any of the regular camping sites, but a boondocking area quite a ways from the beaten path. I can get diesel pretty close to where I leave pavement, so I fuel up before doing so. I have 5 brittanys, that do not get a potty break till we get to camp. There are no EV charging stations even close to being reasonable. Even if there were, I don't like to stop that long to wait for a charge... The Brittanys agree with me.

This would be an issue for me.

I am not seeing a EV in my future.

* This post was edited 11/23/19 05:55pm by an administrator/moderator *

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

I think GM is just waiting to see how popular Tesla truck will be,
before doing one of their own if ever.
Until EV trucks outsell ICE trucks GM and others dont have to worry about losing business.

By that time, the EV manufacturers will be ahead by a long mile, out of sight and maybe out of reach in market share and technology.

* This post was edited 11/23/19 05:56pm by an administrator/moderator *

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Mod! [emoticon]
Barney

* This post was edited 11/23/19 07:23pm by BarneyS *

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Pickup?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS