cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Hitch Bike Rack for Travel Trailer

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up our new Nash 23D TT and I was all set to order up a bike rack for the rear hitch BUT...

It seems most of the racks come with a warning they are NOT to be used on a tow behind! The two big mfgrs, Yakima and Thule each offer one model approved for trailer use but they are made for 2" receiver.

The Nash has a factory 1-1/4" receiver.

I know I see trailers-a-plenty sporting rear bike racks - are they just ignoring mfgr warnings or are there models available?

Looking for:
- 2-bike carrier approved for use on a travel trailer
- 1-1/4" receiver
- Wheel tray preferred, but top tube hang is ok.

Thanks!!
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D
18 REPLIES 18

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thermoguy wrote:
I purchased the Yakima rack specifically for use on the back of a trailer. We have a 5th wheel and I know the back bounces a large amount. We have put up to 4 bikes on the rack and driven about 1000 miles on one trip with no issues other than the bikes rubbing. Pool Noodles are your friend.

The Yakima rack has a solid joint where normal bike racks fold to allow access to an SUV or Tailgate. The solid joint is why it works well. It does fit in a 2" receiver and has a locking nut so it doesn't bounce in the hitch. I have another rack that bounces in the hitch which would be bad on the back of the RV.

I would suggest upgrading your hitch to a 2" receiver and buying one of the units that are designed for RV's. I also looked at putting a hitch on the front of my truck and buying a rack for that hitch, but the RV hitch works fine and I haven't had any issues, the bikes are on the rack solid. I do tie them together with straps that come with the hitch.

We also have the Yakima rack. It works great. We donโ€™t have expensive bikes. We have a 2โ€ receiver on the back of our TT.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
teejaywhy wrote:
My intention is to avoid any questionable setup, that's why I'm looking for help to find racks that are spec'ed to be used on a TT. My trailer has both shocks and a factory hitch which is approved for bike rack use. (welded to frame not just the bumper).

The bikes are hardtail mountain bikes @28lbs each.

Lynnmor wrote:
I see plenty of them here.

Thanks, Lots of "RV" racks there but unfortunately, after you use the filter to specify "Towable Camper" and "1-1/4" receiver", you are left with one choice, not a great one but an option nonetheless:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Reese/63120.html

IAMICHABOD wrote:
You could use This XC2 Bike Rack It is RV approved. They also offer the XC It will fit the 1/14 receiver.

The XC2 is the one I use and it is very sturdy, to adapt it to the 1 1/4 you could use one of These

Thanks, The XC2 is clearly labeled for RV/Trailer use but the XC lacks that language ๐Ÿ˜ž

I'm hoping to avoid the use of an adapter.

jplante4 wrote:
This goes on the tongue.

Thanks. An interesting solution.

It seems the limiting factor is the 1-1/4" receiver and I may need to explore replacing it with a 2".

If you have a hitch integrated into the frame, you're fine. Problems arise when they try to bolt a bike rack on a square tube bumper which is about as strong as a beer can. If you have the true frame integrated hitch you can use any bike rack you want
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
No one suggested a StrombergCarlson A frame hitch adapter..

Shoot, the pix doesn't want to be linked..

See HEREFor pix and details.

Mounts to the A frame and places a 2" hitch over top of your propane tanks.

Found PDF of assembly instructions..

HERE

Amazon link which has a pix showing the adapter..

HERE

If I had to carry my bikes on the trailer, this would be my #1 choice. Doesn't interfere with the tailgate or hatch door, like the Jack-it does. And the A-frame is built much stronger than the rear bumper.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
No one suggested a StrombergCarlson A frame hitch adapter..

Shoot, the pix doesn't want to be linked..

See HEREFor pix and details.

Mounts to the A frame and places a 2" hitch over top of your propane tanks.

Found PDF of assembly instructions..

HERE

Amazon link which has a pix showing the adapter..

HERE

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I purchased the Yakima rack specifically for use on the back of a trailer. We have a 5th wheel and I know the back bounces a large amount. We have put up to 4 bikes on the rack and driven about 1000 miles on one trip with no issues other than the bikes rubbing. Pool Noodles are your friend.

The Yakima rack has a solid joint where normal bike racks fold to allow access to an SUV or Tailgate. The solid joint is why it works well. It does fit in a 2" receiver and has a locking nut so it doesn't bounce in the hitch. I have another rack that bounces in the hitch which would be bad on the back of the RV.

I would suggest upgrading your hitch to a 2" receiver and buying one of the units that are designed for RV's. I also looked at putting a hitch on the front of my truck and buying a rack for that hitch, but the RV hitch works fine and I haven't had any issues, the bikes are on the rack solid. I do tie them together with straps that come with the hitch.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The warning is due to a large number of the bumper receivers being so weak, and the bumper, the thin 4 inch square tube, being very weak. It is not the bike rack that is at risk, it is the trailer's hitch that could break off.

A 2 inch or 1 1/4 makes no difference, it is the receiver that is at risk. The bike rack from the two mentioned companies will not break from bouncing.

I carried two multi-thousand dollar bikes on a trailer hitch rack for thousands of miles with no issue. Though, this was on a twin axle with torsion springs, not leafs, so it rode smoother, but still got airborne a time or two.

My trailer's hitch was sturdy steel welded to the frame, not to the flimsy sewer tube though.

Ideally you would beef up the hitch to handle the load and stresses.

If there is any way to tie or strap the top of the bicycle (handlebars) to something on the trailer (like a spare tire or a hook on the wall) then this will greatly reduce the bikes from swaying and keep them from acting as a tall lever.

The name-brand bike-shop quality races are quite capable.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
This goes on the tongue.

This is best for ou and your bikes, there are several "A" frame bike racks for TT. I built a receiver tube for the pin box of our 5er and carry the bikes there, where I can see them and they ride smooth.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
My intention is to avoid any questionable setup, that's why I'm looking for help to find racks that are spec'ed to be used on a TT. My trailer has both shocks and a factory hitch which is approved for bike rack use. (welded to frame not just the bumper).

The bikes are hardtail mountain bikes @28lbs each.

Lynnmor wrote:
I see plenty of them here.

Thanks, Lots of "RV" racks there but unfortunately, after you use the filter to specify "Towable Camper" and "1-1/4" receiver", you are left with one choice, not a great one but an option nonetheless:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Reese/63120.html

IAMICHABOD wrote:
You could use This XC2 Bike Rack It is RV approved. They also offer the XC It will fit the 1/14 receiver.

The XC2 is the one I use and it is very sturdy, to adapt it to the 1 1/4 you could use one of These

Thanks, The XC2 is clearly labeled for RV/Trailer use but the XC lacks that language ๐Ÿ˜ž

I'm hoping to avoid the use of an adapter.

jplante4 wrote:
This goes on the tongue.

Thanks. An interesting solution.

It seems the limiting factor is the 1-1/4" receiver and I may need to explore replacing it with a 2".
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
This goes on the tongue.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Easy fix for bike racks...simply add an eye screw to each side of trailer into the corner, thru the rubber trim that covers the screws. about height of bike seat. Add ratchet strap from one eyescrew around bike and to other eyescrew . Stops all bouncing of bikes this not ripping off bumper.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have destroyed two bike carriers and tore one bumper (welded on) nearly off.
The one bike carrier that is actually for RV use is the Swagman and it has held up great.
You'll want to make sure your bumper is up to the task and probably reinforce it.

I hang a 4 bike swagman off the rear of my fifth wheel.. I use one of these - hitch tightner

On the connection and it is rock solid. I have a camera on the back and turn it on here and there to see what is going on and see nothing moving.. My bro in law has followed me and said there is virtually no movement.

on edit.... i have a 2" receiver on the back of the RV that has a 300# capacity tongue weight, and 3,000# tow capacity
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Have you ever followed behind a TT or 5ver going down the highway with a loaded bike rack?
I have quite a few times. It's rather scary how much it flings forward and back. And you cannot see it from the drivers seat.
I have one for the back of the TT. I'd like to use it but wouldn't consider it without a provision for lateral support to prevent it from flexing to and fro.
Mine is a 2" reciever.

I agree! Although I had a rear camera on my trailer and could see the bikes. I had them ratchet strapped to the back wall of the trailer with some 3/8" stainless eye bolts. This kept the rack from moving. I also had a set bolt to remove the slop from the receiver. With that I could watch my bikes (4 of them) and they would barely move. Towed like that for 12 years. I did use pool noodles where the bikes may rub each other, never any damage.
Like Bob said I've seen plenty on the road that I just get on around them. Don't need to sit behind them watching them get closer to the road.

You will also want to offset the weight of the bikes by adding more weight to the front to keep tongue weight in check.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
First, as an avid cyclist, I would NEVER put my bikes on the back of a trailer. Nearly all trailers have no shocks, like Motorhomes do. So bike racks get pulled back and down from the weight of the bouncing bikes. The physics of this either weaken the rack or the bumper welds, causing failures.
Second, if I were to put them on the back, I would never use a 1 1/4" bike rack or receiver. Unless you pay for expensive bikes, most people have bikes that weigh 45-55lbs.
Third, I don't like my bikes being where I can't see them.

IMHO, if you can't carry them in the tow vehicle:
Vehicle roof rack
Inside of trailer
A-frame mounted bike rack

I have a Swagman ball mount folding bike rack that mounts to my truck's rear step bumper. Since I have a WDH for the TT, my bikes clear the propane tanks when turning.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes