cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Estes park colorado

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
Which campground with full hookups would you recommend around Estes Park Pulling a 26 footer Travel trailer Been looking on line and not that many good choices Thank you
12 REPLIES 12

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAC1982 wrote:
There is a new RV park in Granby, near Grand Lake on the "back" side of RMNP. Called River Run RV Resort. It just opened this year so we haven't stayed there, but looks really nice if you're into the "KOA" type park... restaurant, activities, etc. It's pricey though, but for a brand new, nice park, well, you get what you pay for. We looked into a seasonal spot there but it was $$$.

This could be a game changer for north central Colorado. Looks like they are taking on Tiger Run Resort in Breck, but with more to offer. H E R E - River Run is a link to their main page; they are a Sun RV Resort, and H E R E - Memorial Day 2020 Pricing is what Memorial Day weekend would cost you.

There must be a market for this, or they would not have done it. I can't think of anywhere other than Tiger Run that would be competition for them at this level. Though it really doesn't appeal to me in general, it could be interesting to try it out, and it certainly is in a good location, and a viable alternative to anything Estes Park has to offer, and not too far off the pricing mark, for what you get.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
There is a new RV park in Granby, near Grand Lake on the "back" side of RMNP. Called River Run RV Resort. It just opened this year so we haven't stayed there, but looks really nice if you're into the "KOA" type park... restaurant, activities, etc. It's pricey though, but for a brand new, nice park, well, you get what you pay for. We looked into a seasonal spot there but it was $$$.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
What I like about Estes Park is that, if you want to do the "touristy" stuff, and take a walk around downtown you can. Besides the shops there, usually there's some sort of art festival going on, which can be entertaining.

And of course Trail Ridge Road is a requirement. In 2019 it didn't open until a couple weekends after Memorial Day due to late season snows, and Old Fall River Road didn't open until July. Keep an eye on the weather forecasts for the time you plan to be out here. If it's later in the season, shouldn't be a problem.

There are other, less traveled/fewer tourist areas. The Wild Basin Entrance to the park is lesser known, popular with us locals, but most tourists don't know about it. Some great hikes from that entrance, just as good as the hikes around the Bear Lake area.

Further south from RMNP there's also the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area, and specifically the Brainard Lake area. Some magnificent hikes in this area as well; the vistas alone are worth it. Plan on snow on the ground there into July.

Further south, all along the Peak to Peak Highway, are great FS access points for wonderful hikes. Rainbow lakes is one of them, the lakes are isolated, and there are trails that lead into the higher elevations above the City of Boulder watershed.

Outside of Nederland, there's access to one of my favourites, the 4th of July CG and the hike to Arapaho Pass. It's a challenge due to elevation, but well worth it once up to the top of the pass.

All this can be done from Estes Park as a day trip. So Estes Park is not necessarily "just" about Estes Park.

^^^^^^^^^^ Thom, Knows Colorado - all good info ^^^^^^^^^^
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I like about Estes Park is that, if you want to do the "touristy" stuff, and take a walk around downtown you can. Besides the shops there, usually there's some sort of art festival going on, which can be entertaining.

And of course Trail Ridge Road is a requirement. In 2019 it didn't open until a couple weekends after Memorial Day due to late season snows, and Old Fall River Road didn't open until July. Keep an eye on the weather forecasts for the time you plan to be out here. If it's later in the season, shouldn't be a problem.

There are other, less traveled/fewer tourist areas. The Wild Basin Entrance to the park is lesser known, popular with us locals, but most tourists don't know about it. Some great hikes from that entrance, just as good as the hikes around the Bear Lake area.

Further south from RMNP there's also the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area, and specifically the Brainard Lake area. Some magnificent hikes in this area as well; the vistas alone are worth it. Plan on snow on the ground there into July.

Further south, all along the Peak to Peak Highway, are great FS access points for wonderful hikes. Rainbow lakes is one of them, the lakes are isolated, and there are trails that lead into the higher elevations above the City of Boulder watershed.

Outside of Nederland, there's access to one of my favourites, the 4th of July CG and the hike to Arapaho Pass. It's a challenge due to elevation, but well worth it once up to the top of the pass.

All this can be done from Estes Park as a day trip. So Estes Park is not necessarily "just" about Estes Park.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We liked Mary's Lake RV in Estes Park. It is located away from the busy area of town.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where ever you decide to stay, be sure to make reservations at least 3-6 months in advance if you are planning to visit EP between mid June and mid August. I would lean towards 6 months for July.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Thom for all that great information You couldnโ€™t be more specific than that.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
leesan wrote:
Which campground with full hookups would you recommend around Estes Park Pulling a 26 footer Travel trailer Been looking on line and not that many good choices Thank you

To specifically answer your question, there are about a half dozen RV parks in Estes Park. And Estes Park is a very popular destination for RVers during the season, as the parks are usually reserved well in advance, and also late in the October Elk rutting season.

Estes Park Campground at Mary's Lake is owned by the town of Estes Park Recreation and Park Department. They have FHU, W/E only and no hookup sites. The FHU are the typical in a line type sites with not a lot of space between site. The W/E sites are all back in and these are the ones I prefer when I stay there. They have a dump station on site as well. They are also the cheapest of the commercial RV parks in Estes Park at $47/night for FHU. Estes Park also administers another campground at East Portal, but it's primarily for smaller rigs -- popups and tents.

Elk Meadow RV Resort is right at the entrance to RMNP. It is on a sloping hill, but has pretty good sites, a mix of back in and pull thru sites. Restrooms have always been very clean and well cared for. If you can get a site on the south side, you'll have an unobstructed view of Longs Peak, the highest point in RMNP. Elk Meadow in not cheap. Last time I stayed there was $61/night with discount, and now I think they are over $70/night. Their electricity was a bit quirky the last time I was there (pedestals were misaligned from the site they actually served), hopefully that's been resolved. Added plus the very real probability of elk walking/grazing thru the park.

Their companion park is Spruce Lake RV Park which is fairly close to Elk Meadow. Also a fairly nice park, all back in sites, getting one by the river gives the added pleasure of the sounds of rushng water, if you're into that sort of relaxation. It's a bit tighter than Elk Meadow, and is just as expensive.

Paradise on the River RV Park is a quaint little park that is right on the river. It's also hard to get into, and is usually reserved a year in advance if not longer. Getting a spot here is probably the most difficult in Estes Park.

Manor RV Park is right next door to Spruce Lake and looks to be very nice. I have not stayed there, it looks to be pretty tight to get in there, but it does get pretty good reviews. Also not cheap, seems their prices vary from $60s-$70s/night.

Unlike all of the above RV Parks, the KOA in Estes Park is on US34 coming in to Estes Park, and is on a hillside on this very busy road. The sites can be tight. Prices seem to vary, presumably based on rig.

About 7 miles outside of town, there is Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park. Another park on a hillside, the sites seem to be a bit random and pricing seems haphazard, according to reviewers. Another one I have not stayed at, it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

IF you could do a few days without hookups inside RMNP, I would strongly encourage it. That is now where I spend most of my time, camping in either Moraine Park or Glacier Basin. Both have very distinct appeals. In Moraine Park, B loop is preferable, in Glacier Basin, D loop is the preference, at least for me. Best views, and most likely have deer and elk wander through your site.

IF you haven't checked it already, H E R E - campgroundreviews.com is the link for reviews of all parks in the area, including parks in Drake and Loveland, along with USFS/RMNP CG.

On the west side of the Park, by Grand Lake, there are 2 commercial campgrounds -- Winding River Resort and Elk Creek Campground. Both have FHU availability, or just W/E hookups. Of the 2 I prefer Winding River. It has an authentic western feel to it, and the FHU sites are isolated at the far end of the property.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
leesan wrote:

Have you looked over near Grand Lake - the West side - neat area and fewer people - the added Bonus is the daily drive over and Back of Trail Ridge.

Another added bonus - Steamboat and possibly Snowy Range in WY.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
KOA Estes Park. Great basecamp.
https://koa.com/campgrounds/estes-park/
2010 Suncruiser

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
A couple years ago we stayed at the KOA there. I am not a fan of KOA but we wanted FHU, went to Estes in fall to see and hear the Elk Bugle. That's worth it!! Anyway the KOA was a typical one close together etc. There is one between the KOA and the park but can not remember the name.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Estes Park is not very popular with most RVers. We've stayed there a few times but it was long ago and all I remember is that it was at the park entrance road, may have been the KOA. RMNP is probably not among the top RVer rated parks compared to YNP, Tetons and Glacier. We stayed on the west side last time we were in the area and that was because our son was working as a camp councilor that summer. At a camp that charged the kids $8K for 3 weeks at camp.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper