cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route from Merced Ca to Mesa Az

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the map and not sure which would be the best route from Merced to Mesa. I would like to do this in Two days so I was thinking of Palmdale as a half way point.
I am open to suggestions as to the route and half way point.
Also, is there a recommendation as to where to stay in the Palmdale area. Thanks Ed
8 REPLIES 8

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 58 ends where it meets I-15 at Barstow, from I-15 take I-40 (the Needles freway) to Needles.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
we use the 58 to needles, 95 down to I-10 and straight on to PHX. They have turned 60 into a pretty good traffic carrier east of I-10.
If you just want an overnight parking place, the junction at 58 and 395 has a big parking lot just east of the light on the right. we've stayed there, but it's busy with trucks.. and we've stayed at Barstow at the Flying J which is a mile south of the I 15 and 58 junction.

This.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
we use the 58 to needles, 95 down to I-10 and straight on to PHX. They have turned 60 into a pretty good traffic carrier east of I-10.
If you just want an overnight parking place, the junction at 58 and 395 has a big parking lot just east of the light on the right. we've stayed there, but it's busy with trucks.. and we've stayed at Barstow at the Flying J which is a mile south of the I 15 and 58 junction.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto the Lancaster (Antelope Valley) fairground if you go that way.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I mis-spoke when I said I overnight in Tehachapi. Driving motorhomes for the company we have to sleep in hotels and Tehachapi fits the bill. I don't have any info on RV parks, sorry.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lancaster fairground. Or leave early 5, 210 (mid day only), 10 and stop east of LA.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you are looking at the route through Palmdale that takes Hwy 138 to connect to I-10. That route will involve more southern CA traffic. I would take the route suggested by azdryheat. I've drive 58 and I-40 many times. If you just want a quick easy stop for the night, I've stayed at Newberry Mountain RV Park just off I-40 about 20 miles east of Barstow.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I do sorta that quite often; Tucson to Sacramento delivering motorhomes. 99 south to Bakersfield. 58 east through Barstow to I-40 east to Needles then south on the 95 to I-10 to Phoenix area. Easy peasy. I, and our other drivers, have found this is the best route as we've tried everything else. I always overnight in Tehachapi.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE