cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Demco Autoslide or B&W Companion Slider

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I recently replaced my Truck and decided it's time to upgrade my hitch at the same time.

I've narrowed my decision down to two Hitches. Demco Autoslide or B&W Companion slider.

One of my biggest complaints in my old receiver was the lack of lateral gimble from side to side.

The B&W seems to have almost no side to side movement - where as the Demco seems to have enough to align the pin to jaws without binding.

Any thoughts on either? I know the Demco I have to adjust the side guide bars each time I connect to the 5er - but that extra work will be worth it because of the lateral gimble.

Thanks!

josh
23 REPLIES 23

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jodeb720 wrote:
OP Here,

One question - the side to side pivoting on the B&W. How much is there?

I've seen the amount of play on the Demco but not on the B&W.

More times than not it's the lateral play that I've needed because of how the truck and the 5er aren't on the same plane and you either have to shim the truck tires into the plane or trailer. Otherwise, it's difficult to get the pin in the receiver without a lot of binding.

I've used my Reese for the last 10 years - and it worked. Ironically, I've only used my manual slide 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years. Probably because I was too lazy to get out of the truck, slide it back then get back in and park. I just maneuver into position by taking my time and wiggling into my spot.

I was watching video on the demco - you can connect beyond the 10 degrees, but you'll need to remove the side adjustments first, then connect (without the autoslide option) and then reconnect the parts after you're connected and aligned.

All of these hitches are far heavier than what I had in the past. I'm guessing a trip to harbor freight for a lift to pull/put the hitch in and out of the truck is in my future. good thing there's a veterans day sale on!

Thanks again

josh

Let's put it this way. There's enough "rock" in the B&W hitch that, if you have the "standard" 6" bed clearance, you can hit the corners of your bed, no problem, in certain situations. I've =seen= it happen. Personally, I have 8+" clearance and I still get out and check that I won't hit my bed getting in and out of my boondocking site.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jodeb720 wrote:
I recently replaced my Truck and decided it's time to upgrade my hitch at the same time.

I've narrowed my decision down to two Hitches. Demco Autoslide or B&W Companion slider.

One of my biggest complaints in my old receiver was the lack of lateral gimble from side to side.

The B&W seems to have almost no side to side movement - where as the Demco seems to have enough to align the pin to jaws without binding.

Any thoughts on either? I know the Demco I have to adjust the side guide bars each time I connect to the 5er - but that extra work will be worth it because of the lateral gimble.

Thanks!

josh

Replying without reading ahead...

Apples and oranges. Auto-slider vs manual. Also, you give no info on what the new truck is. I will always recommend B&W, because it's what I have and my experience with my hitch and with B&W as a company tells me that they're one of the best products and companies around.

Just remember that no matter =what= hitch you get, you =can= still hit your cab when backing up. A slider only gives you a bit more time/room before you =do= hit.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey my newest BEST thing since whatever are EBC brake pads!!! I used the "Orange HD Truck" on my 01 Sport and 15 DRW, Yellow on my DRV RV and not sure what they are called but also on my 09 Harley ElectraGlide.

SIMPLY AWESOME!!!

EXPENSIVE but worth every $$$.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
How bout we all give our opinion and suggestions on the topics we are associated with so we don't scare off more people from this Forum or it will end up being just a few crankity ol PHARTS left on here.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
I never thought my manual slide B&W was a pain. At check in I slide it back and at checkout after straighten out of the street I slide it forward. I ALWAYS slide it as the latch handle would not clear the front box in the travel position. The truck would not turn tight enough to hit going forward to create a problem. I really like the B&W jaws/lock setup. The earlier Demco/Hijacker auto slides had issues with the gears to create the slide movement. My BIL can not park his trailer on our spare lot the way we would like it, as he can not get aligned to reconnect.

I moved a friends trailer in and out of the park for him for a few years, and towed it the ten miles each direction in the back position as his pin box would not clear my front bed box.

Chris

Well, I am glad you enjoy the process, I find it a pain, and would rather just skip that part .

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jodeb720 wrote:
OP Here,

More times than not it's the lateral play that I've needed because of how the truck and the 5er aren't on the same plane and you either have to shim the truck tires into the plane or trailer. Otherwise, it's difficult to get the pin in the receiver without a lot of binding.

I've used my Reese for the last 10 years - and it worked. Ironically, I've only used my manual slide 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years. Probably because I was too lazy to get out of the truck, slide it back then get back in and park. I just maneuver into position by taking my time and wiggling into my spot.

I was watching video on the demco - you can connect beyond the 10 degrees, but you'll need to remove the side adjustments first, then connect (without the autoslide option) and then reconnect the parts after you're connected and aligned.

All of these hitches are far heavier than what I had in the past. I'm guessing a trip to harbor freight for a lift to pull/put the hitch in and out of the truck is in my future. good thing there's a veterans day sale on!

Thanks again

josh

Never had a side to side tilt issue with the three different trailers I towed with my B&W manual slider. I believe that it most likely has enough to allow bed side contact if one had 6" or less clearance when level. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a short box with a B&W Companion ..... no slide and I am 100% satisfied. I don't want the hassle of hooking up an auto slide hitch and feel a slider is unnecessary. If I felt I needed a slider it would be an auto slide. I would not use a manual slider even if I had one. The other option you could consider is a B&W hitch and a Reese Sidewinder/Revolution pin box.

Edit: The rotational pin box is equivalent to mounting your hitch further back in your truck bed so not necessarily something you'd want to do.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
southernsky wrote:
Don't know about the hitches your looking at but we have the Pullrite Super Glide on our short bed Ram. The auto slide has been trouble free for many years and never have to think about tight turns and hitting the cab

I think that is a true statement to a point, but rather misleading for the inexperienced . You can hit the cab with any hitch. I always cringe a bit when I read these statements ," NEVER have to think about tight t
urns and hitting the cab" Thats a recipe for disaster .

Ok well let's say I've used an auto slide for over ten years in all sort of situations. Even turning short enough to drag the wheels sideways in gravel. Sure if you get in a tight jack knife you'll hit the cab but not the rear of the cab you'll hit the side
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
OP Here,

Thanks again

josh

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both types so I'll tell you my 2 cents.
I currently have a B&W Patriot manual slider and had the Pullrite auto slider on a past rig. While both are well built I'll still take my manual B&W over the Pullrite again. The manual slide is VERY easy even if you have to get out of the truck. The Pullrite was a PITA when hooking at an angle, something like over 7 degrees from center in either direction I would have to separate the head from the hitch and then hook it up again the same way. And believe it or not there are times I want it slid back when I am not in a turning situation such as when I am backing down my hill to my barn so I don't come in contact with my tailgate and overhang. Again, I may be in the minority but I'll take my manual over the auto.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never thought my manual slide B&W was a pain. At check in I slide it back and at checkout after straighten out of the street I slide it forward. I ALWAYS slide it as the latch handle would not clear the front box in the travel position. The truck would not turn tight enough to hit going forward to create a problem. I really like the B&W jaws/lock setup. The earlier Demco/Hijacker auto slides had issues with the gears to create the slide movement. My BIL can not park his trailer on our spare lot the way we would like it, as he can not get aligned to reconnect.

I moved a friends trailer in and out of the park for him for a few years, and towed it the ten miles each direction in the back position as his pin box would not clear my front bed box.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like my B&W slider, and its rock solid with no slack, but it takes me 5 seconds to get out and pull the lever.
I have considered an auto slider, but the reviews say they have to be within a certain degree to hitch,and not sure I want that.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
There are hitching issues with the PullRite, not sure if that's the case with the Demco???

I think MeAgain should comment on the B&W as he has one.

It does not matter who owns a manual slider. One they are heavy, two they are MANUAL, I have had a manual slider for 14 years. I know exactly what they are about ,brand makes no difference , you have to get out if you are in a situation where you have to use it, and pull the lever ,slide the hitch back. After that they have to be returned to the tow position before towing again.

Simply put they are pain , no way getting around it . As said no more manuals . Andersen has solved all those issues . I seen enough problems with hitching with my friends Superglide ,and the fact you CANNOT hitch at a certain angle. No thanks ,I want to come into a hitch at whatever angle I need too within reason .